Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

note2001

Seeing the inside of the hand is pretty cool. You can see in the "V" between the two fingers they installed a drain pipe to catch rain water collecting there. What I don't understand is there seem to be a A/C duct going up to the side of the top finger. Can't figure out why that would be there.

Disney-Hollywood-studios-hat-demolition-3-620x465.jpg

http://attractionsmagazine.com/look-demolition-sorcerers-hat-disneys-hollywood-studios/

For some reason I want to say that they had AC blasting on the hot summer days for the CM's who were working the store. Only reason I say that is because my wife and I took refuge there once or twice so we wouldn't melt. I could be wrong though...

You are right. As I recall, there was a breeze under the hat on those July/August days we were there, and it wasn't a warm one.

... either that or one of the construction guys set up a small makeshift home in the hand.

yedliW

Cesar R M

Seeing the inside of the hand is pretty cool. You can see in the "V" between the two fingers they installed a drain pipe to catch rain water collecting there. What I don't understand is there seem to be a A/C duct going up to the side of the top finger. Can't figure out why that would be there.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/look-demolition-sorcerers-hat-disneys-hollywood-studios/

perhaps there is heavy electric equipment in the floor that requires cooling(for the stage and hat)?

Phil12

According to other sources, it was built to be temporary but could stand for 15 years. So theoretically even if all of you weren't complaining about it they would eventually have to take it down this year or next year.
Same thing for Horizons. It was a temporary attraction that could stand for 20 years but they decided to put it out of its misery at 17 years due to low attendance.

spacemt354

Chili's
Has anyone looked back at the first few pages in this thread? I thought it was really funny reading what was said almost 6 years ago about the hat. Even Spirit thought it would come down in 18-36 months (back in 2009)

Based on the hat timeline (rumor in 2009 - reality in 2015), Avatar (announced 2011 - complete 2017), DHS Star Wars/Pixar expansion (rumor in 2013/2014 - complete maybe 2019/2020?)..... it seems like whenever something new is announced we should just assume it isn't going to be real for about 6 years ;)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

I saw the duct work while looking for your drain pipe. My guess is a cooling fan to circulate the air and keep moisture from building up under there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The theater roof is so tiny.
No it isn't. But as with your lack of understanding in your last post, it is easy to see how you'd think this.

Same thing for Horizons. It was a temporary attraction that could stand for 20 years but they decided to put it out of its misery at 17 years due to low attendance.

Last edited:

Victor Kelly

Wow, they have slowed down a bit since we were there. They were really rolling along. Hopefully they restore the hidden mickey.

I would believe that now and then they may have to demolish some buildings or do a serious structural rehab for the long standing buildings in MK and the other parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom