Star Wars Weekends returns to Disney's Hollywood Studios for 2015

asianway

Filming is done and wrapped. Never underestimate the power and resiliency of the 501st. I said it before I don't expect much in terms of The Force Awakens at SWW2015. Now Celebration Anaheim is where I expect a bunch of TFA stuff.
Hopefully they tell the 501st their services are no longer needed. Makes the place feel like a Star Trek convention at a Holiday Inn

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hopefully they tell the 501st their services are no longer needed. Makes the place feel like a Star Trek convention at a Holiday Inn

But, But then TDO would need to pay equity actors instead THAT will never happen, I did see one bucket head a while back stalking a paper cup, in matters of Imperial Security you can take no chances...

I rather LIKE the 501st, Yes it does sometime have a Trekkie conference vibe, That being said they add an energy to the SWW that would not exist if these were actors in costume just imagine being in a fiberglass shell in the Florida Sun!,

Some of the more advanced suits have water cooling systems.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I agree with you that the film will make money, it's Star Wars. But doesn't it make more sense to release a film when there will be the least amount of competition (especially when four of those competitive films just happen to be from the same company who is distributing Episode VII)? Here, let me use an example.

Summer 2015 Movie Releases -

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Pitch Perfect 2
Tomorrowland
Insidious: Chapter 3
Jurassic World
Inside Out
Ted 2
Terminator: Genisys
Magic Mike: XXL
Minions
Ant-Man
Pan
Point Break Re-Make

Holiday 2015 Movie Releases -

Star Wars Episode VII
Hunger Games Part 2
Peanuts
Kung Fu Panda 3
Mission Impossible V

Do you see where I'm coming from? There is very little competition during the holiday season this upcoming year compared to the summer. Also, lets not forget Star Wars still has the stench of the prequels hovering over it. It's not like a Marvel film where it's had several successful films recently to back it up. As far as JJ goes, I know several hard core Star Trek fans who hated Into Darkness because it lazily took quotes and memorable scenes from the franchise and shoehorned them into what was suppose to be a "re-imagining" of the series.

Finally, did you notice you said there were lines wrapped around the theater for "the three original films"? Funny how you don't include the later three films. It sounds to me like your one of those hard core Star Wars fans who would go see anything related to the series because it has "Star Wars" in the title. That doesn't mean the rest of the world is the same way, especially during the cut-throat time frame of the summer movie season. Again, all I'm trying to point out is it makes more sense to release Star Wars when it has the opportunity to make the most money (which is all Disney really cares about).

Other than Marvel and Hunger Games, a list of not so inspiring sequels. Really, Pitch Perfect 2? I realize most of these films will do well, but that's because Hollywood just repeats the same formula over and over again. Something is a blockbuster? Let's beat that theme to death. How else to you explain the Transformers?

Yes, of course I noticed that I said there were lines wrapped around the theatres, because I wrote it. And was in those lines. Yes, I am a hard core Star Wars fan, just like those hard core Star Trek fans you mentioned who hated Into Darkness. However, I don't go see anything and everything just because it has Star Wars in the title. Didn't see the butchered original films release. Saw Star Wars I, nearly walked out of the theatre (George, how could you!) and avoided II and III. Spent several hundred $$$ to purchase the original theatrical releases on DVD as a boxed set. Yes, children, they are out there. You just have to know which box set to purchase - they are part of the extras. Was so nice to watch the opening credits scroll across the screen and not be "Star Wars IV: A New Hope". And Han shoot first.

If JJ makes a movie more like Star Wars I than the original, then Disney won't be making a bucket load of money on the franchise it just paid $4B for.... And the fan base will be crying into our Jedi robes.....

RSoxNo1

I agree with you that the film will make money, it's Star Wars. But doesn't it make more sense to release a film when there will be the least amount of competition (especially when four of those competitive films just happen to be from the same company who is distributing Episode VII)? Here, let me use an example.

Summer 2015 Movie Releases -

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Pitch Perfect 2
Tomorrowland
Insidious: Chapter 3
Jurassic World
Inside Out
Ted 2
Terminator: Genisys
Magic Mike: XXL
Minions
Ant-Man
Pan
Point Break Re-Make

Holiday 2015 Movie Releases -

Star Wars Episode VII
Hunger Games Part 2
Peanuts
Kung Fu Panda 3
Mission Impossible V

Do you see where I'm coming from? There is very little competition during the holiday season this upcoming year compared to the summer. Also, lets not forget Star Wars still has the stench of the prequels hovering over it. It's not like a Marvel film where it's had several successful films recently to back it up. As far as JJ goes, I know several hard core Star Trek fans who hated Into Darkness because it lazily took quotes and memorable scenes from the franchise and shoehorned them into what was suppose to be a "re-imagining" of the series.

Finally, did you notice you said there were lines wrapped around the theater for "the three original films"? Funny how you don't include the later three films. It sounds to me like your one of those hard core Star Wars fans who would go see anything related to the series because it has "Star Wars" in the title. That doesn't mean the rest of the world is the same way, especially during the cut-throat time frame of the summer movie season. Again, all I'm trying to point out is it makes more sense to release Star Wars when it has the opportunity to make the most money (which is all Disney really cares about).
The biggest competition is obviously Hunger Games coming out a month earlier (11/20 for Hunger Games 12/18 for Star Wars). In all likelihood at a month out, the Hunger Games demand will have dropped. Mission Impossible comes out on Christmas day and in theory could cut into repeat Star Wars viewings. Kung Fu Panda comes out on 12/23 and may cut into the number of 3D theaters (no idea if either will be in 3D, but it's not unreasonable). The Good Dinosaur also comes out on 11/25 and could also compete for 3D theaters, but with that also being Disney it's less of a concern.

There's always going to be something, and Disney really should have a huge movie year next year.

asianway

But, But then TDO would need to pay equity actors instead THAT will never happen, I did see one bucket head a while back stalking a paper cup, in matters of Imperial Security you can take no chances...

I rather LIKE the 501st, Yes it does sometime have a Trekkie conference vibe, That being said they add an energy to the SWW that would not exist if these were actors in costume just imagine being in a fiberglass shell in the Florida Sun!,

Some of the more advanced suits have water cooling systems.
Some are nice but some are not on brand. And there's one that's been dressing up as the emperor. Even though entertainment has the emperor. Wish the union would go after this one

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Some are nice but some are not on brand. And there's one that's been dressing up as the emperor. Even though entertainment has the emperor. Wish the union would go after this one

Which union? Equity? I didn't think members of the 501st were EMPLOYEES of Disney. Would love to hear from CMs who are in shows. Do you have to join Equity in order to be a paid performer in a show at WDW? Even though Florida is a right-to-work state?

asianway

Which union? Equity? I didn't think members of the 501st were EMPLOYEES of Disney. Would love to hear from CMs who are in shows. Do you have to join Equity in order to be a paid performer in a show at WDW? Even though Florida is a right-to-work state?
No the performers have a separate union from equity. 501st aren't employees but they are providing entertainment in a similar fashion as the costume characters and taking away shifts from them

LL2WDW

No the performers have a separate union from equity. 501st aren't employees but they are providing entertainment in a similar fashion as the costume characters and taking away shifts from them

The 501st is a group of fans who are invited to take part in a big festival (SWW). This type of entertainment is similar to the high schools bands who march down Main Street and choirs who sing in Candlelight. They are not taking away shifts from Cast Members. If they weren't in the parade, no one would replace them.

asianway

The 501st is a group of fans who are invited to take part in a big festival (SWW). This type of entertainment is similar to the high schools bands who march down Main Street and choirs who sing in Candlelight. They are not taking away shifts from Cast Members. If they weren't in the parade, no one would replace them.
Good. nothing is better than cosplay. That's not what I pay for at a Disney theme park

PhotoDave219

Nothing wrong with cosplay, particularly for this event, be they Disney employees or others. And in this instance, it's an event readily planned for should you wish to avoid it.....
Good. nothing is better than cosplay. That's not what I pay for at a Disney theme park

Gentleman.... Can we at least agree on the cosplay of the Slave Leia?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom