Star Wars Weekends returns to Disney's Hollywood Studios for 2015

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No the performers have a separate union from equity. 501st aren't employees but they are providing entertainment in a similar fashion as the costume characters and taking away shifts from them

Actually, that's incorrect. Back in the early 90s, about 90% of the dancers, actors and singers voted to be represented by Equity. But as Florida is a right to work state, the individual didn't need to join the union to receive the benefits Equity negotiated with Disney.

asianway

Actually, that's incorrect. Back in the early 90s, about 90% of the dancers, actors and singers voted to be represented by Equity. But as Florida is a right to work state, the individual didn't need to join the union to receive the benefits Equity negotiated with Disney.
And the folks who are employed by Disney to do stormtroopers, the emperor, greedo, tusken raiders the ones who are in the parade along with the 501st..aren't actors and singers as defined by equity.

PhotoDave219

No, Actors Equity does not represent the average fur/face or parade performers. Those are normal, front line entertainment cast members.

jakeman

The obvious answer is we need tighter stormtrooper border control. Perhaps like a fence. Since it seems there is a huge issue with foreign stormtroopers coming in and taking parade jobs from willing Disney stormtroopers.

We should secure the WDW border first then we can discuss how to integrate any 501st stormtroopers into the cast.

ChrisM

The Lurie Children's hospital is truly an amazing place It's a hospital built entirely for children on a kids scale, I was there commissioning some of the IP Telephony systems so they would be absolutely perfect when the kids moved in.

One of the more amazing things is an illuminated star map which when kid height buttons are pressed shows the kids where the constellations are relative to their position and the stars in the constellation light up.

This picture is priceless, Yes I AM a sentimental sap.

Lurie is an amazing place. My son is an occasional patient there and, aside from the quality of care and staff being top notch, I'm always impressed at how going above and beyond expectations is effectively their standard operating procedure.

Not to be crass, but I believe we all know an organization that should also continue to strive for that ideal.

dstrawn9889

59939_493474507372226_151676523_n.jpeg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The obvious answer is we need tighter stormtrooper border control. Perhaps like a fence. Since it seems there is a huge issue with foreign stormtroopers coming in and taking parade jobs from willing Disney stormtroopers.

We should secure the WDW border first then we can discuss how to integrate any 501st stormtroopers into the cast.
The emperor has already declared amnesty for them. That's water under the proverbial bridge.

Last edited:

travellerman

This is the first time I'll be at Disney World in time to do anything like this, but I will be there in early May long enough to do the character dining. I won't be there long enough to get to the Star Wars weekends, but really looking forward to at least the dining. What I was wondering was do you think they will have the star wars magic bands this year, and if so, do you think there's a chance they will release them early like when the dining starts (4th May?) Or on the weekends themselves. Either way I'm still looking forward to the dining regardless, just curious though.

jheltz27

Are there any other Star Wars related events or such going on at other locations in the "World" during the SWW or is it all contained in DHS? We'll be there for a pre-cruise two day trip but only have 1 day tickets to MK. My boys are really into Star Wars right now and we're all excited about EP 7.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Are there any other Star Wars related events or such going on at other locations in the "World" during the SWW or is it all contained in DHS? We'll be there for a pre-cruise two day trip but only have 1 day tickets to MK. My boys are really into Star Wars right now and we're all excited about EP 7.
It is pretty much all at DHS.

Matt_Black

You're in the wrong place then. All the characters are pretty much cosplay, face characters especially.

Considering the amount of money, detail and work that does into getting a costume approved by 501st I'm not seeing the issue beyond some sour grapes you seem to have about them in every post regarding SWW.

Wait, wait, wait. Is Asianway seriously criticizing a group that is a) Lucasfilm's preferred costuming group and b) highly regarded and lauded for the millions of hours worked and dollars raised for charity?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Mods, if any of this has already been discussed in another thread feel free to merge

My source indicates that there have been some facility walk throughs this week and the following things are moving forward regarding SWW

1. Premiere Theatre will continue to host Frozen Sing Along until June. AIE/SSTV theatre will be the home of the Disney Performing Arts competitions during March/April. Additions to AIE/SSTV for the revamped Frozen Sing A Long will be ongoing and rehearsal will begin in earnest in May. The goal is to have ZERO dark days for the show. It will close at Premiere and open at AIE/SSTV the next day.

2. SO....all of the SWW shows that were held at Premiere will be moving to Theatre of the Stars. B&B shows will still be held each day during SWW at TOS...in the Morning. They will cease around lunchtime, when the stage will changeover for the "Behind The Force" shows & any specialty shows with that weeks' Special Guests. They are working on getting a Video Wall to run the width of the stage to create the various SWW themed backdrops.

3. There is serious talk of the Autograph tents around the Lake going away. Someone proposed moving the autograph locations indoors & management likes that idea. Current info says they will be using the old Idol Audition Rooms (3 rooms behind Idol by Commisary Lane). Those rooms would get a SWW overlay, and the prevailing thought is they would use the Queue for Idol Theatre for those waiting for Autographs. Instead of going into the theatre, guests would be led through a door at the bottom of the queue then down the hall to the autograph locations. This way people waiting in line would be in the shade and in an area with circulated air.

4. My source has not completely eliminated the idea that Darth's Maul will be a tent behind RnR, however the idea that they are moving forward with is revamping the AFI area (Oaken's 2nd home). There will be 3 "areas" for Merchandise encompassing the old AFI/Backlot Tour bldgs.
A. The open air merchandise location next to the Monster's Inc M&G will be SWW themed and have a generic overall SWW vibe to it.
B. The AFI location (Oaken's) will be gutted & remade with a Tatooine Overlay and likely have a Bounty Hunter/Empire vibe to it
C. The bldg next to it (the bldg next to the Hanna Montana Barn - Tram Load In) will also be gutted and turned into a Rebel Base Overlay.

5. As of now most of the Character M&G locations are staying in the usual spots. However with the BackLot Tour closed, the Darth Vader location will move into the old entrance to the BLT. They will try and do a slight makeover to the entrance so it has more of a Star Wars look to it. The Darth Maul M&G will move over to where the old Vader spot was.

6. Yes Fireworks are back.

7. I've heard conflicting reports on if a May the 4th event will take place. As of now the walls around the BAH aren't coming down until the end of April, so installing the Stage in time for May 4th would be extremely challenging. That being said, I wouldn't rule out the idea of at least having characters around the park...or possibly an expanded trailer of the movie being released that day

As always, things are subject to change.
Thanks for the update - always appreciated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom