Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Matt_Black

Not to beat this dead, decaying horse of the Marvel contract BUT...

The Guardians of the 60s/70s are not the same iteration of the Guardians rebooted in 2007/8 by Dan Abnett in which the runaway hit of the movie is based on so technically... THESE Guardians have never been members of The Avengers proper.

Yes, though later members, such as Quasar, HAVE been Avengers.

BrerJon

I disagree. If we get a full-fledged Star Wars land, I think Star Wars works better as a "Real" place to visit. By being sucked into the movie, and then a block over you have Star Tours which is supposed to be you at a starport... wouldn't mesh.

Take a look at an aerial view of the building though. If they moved the ride exit to the far end it could actually be pretty close to Star Tours, especially if the inbetween was themed. If Commissary Lane became the Tatooine market or whatever you could have a situation where you go into the cinema to see the film, get sucked into the world of Star Wars, then exit to find yourself on another planet, in the Star Wars land, a bit like arriving in Hogsmeade from the Express.

Of course I'd prefer an updated GMR, but if they have to do something franchisey, that's the least worst option I think.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Not to beat this dead, decaying horse of the Marvel contract BUT...

The Guardians of the 60s/70s are not the same iteration of the Guardians rebooted in 2007/8 by Dan Abnett in which the runaway hit of the movie is based on so technically... THESE Guardians have never been members of The Avengers proper.
Ok, who around here was our Uni contract expert. @danlb_2000 ? @Tom ? I can't remember. We need the expert in here stat. I always thought the contract was just "any character used in the Universal park" couldn't be used.

Ahh, here
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

B. Other Theme Parks

MCA (or an MCA “Corporately Related Company” (defined below)), shall have an option to utilize the Marvel characters in THE SECOND GATE of the Universal Theme Park (Orlando) and an exclusive world-wide option to utilize the Marvel characters in additional THE MARVEL UNIVERSES in any other Universal Theme Parks, which initial option must be exercised during the two year period beginning on the date of the opening of THE MARVEL UNIVERSE in the Universal Theme Park (Orlando). The present inventory of the Marvel characters is set forth in the schedule to be attached or provided by Marvel promptly after execution hereof, plus any characters developed or acquired or licensed in the future by Marvel which (x) are marketed under the Marvel “Banner” or (y) were previously marketed under the Marvel “Banner” during the term hereof and are subsequently marketed under the “Banner” of a Marvel Related Company (defined below). Any characters which are licensed to Marvel by third parties subject to terms which require Marvel to pay a license fee based on revenues or which do not permit sublicensing may be excluded, at Marvel’s option, in the foregoing grant.

a. After such 2 year period, MCA’s exclusive rights will be subject to “shrinkage” or “expansion” as follows:

1. If no action is taken by MCA, such exclusivity shall be limited as follows:

i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

ii. West of The Mississippi - any other theme park may use any Marvel characters whether or not used by MCA.

iii. East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

iv. East or West of The Mississippi - The foregoing permitted uses will be subject to the following marketing restrictions:

(a)
If the particular character is used by MCA (as defined above), such character will not be advertised or promoted East of The Mississippi, except by means of national Network buy of television, within printed materials such as brochures, or by print advertisements in periodicals directed to readers more than 300 miles from Orlando; and with regard to any of the foregoing permitted marketing, if the marketing is for a group of theme parks located both East and West of The Mississippi, the marketing shall make abundantly clear that the character only appears in the parks West of The Mississippi and shall not be subject to confusion on such point (such as would occur by visual inclusion of the character in a generic, multipark advertisement subject to a small print explanation of the parks where the character is present).

(b) If the particular character is not used by MCA, such character will not be advertised or promoted by means of (x) spot television buys, billboards, personal appearances, or print advertisements which are (y) viewed, located or primarily directed to persons within 300 miles of Orlando. In other words, regional (i.e. covering a multi-state geographic region) or national television or print media buys, or brochures would not be prohibited within such 300 mile radius.

2. Within 2 years after opening of THE MARVEL UNIVERSE in Orlando, MCA may retain its worldwide exclusivity for up to 5 additional years by designating another location where it intends to develop THE MARVEL UNIVERSE as part of a theme park, and by paying an option fee of $*** per year. Provided such second theme park opens within such 5 year period, MCA shall maintain worldwide exclusivity for an additional two year period after such opening, and thereafter its rights will be subject to the “shrinkage” or “expansion” concept described above (in the manner described below).

Now I just need someone who speaks legal-ese

PhotoDave219

A few thoughts...before we start uncorking champagne that the BAH is leaving...the reason Disney stated for putting in where it was put has not changed. MGM and Disney still do not have a close relationship and MGM is not going to just let Disney use the theater as the center piece of the park. I think we will be walking down Hollywood BLVD looking at something other than the theater ...which probably means the end of the GMR.

I have also been thinking that Star Wars Weekend might not be in DHS this May, with so much of the park closed for construction and such, they will not have the space to do all the activities they have done in the past. I wonder if they would move SWW to EPCOT or MK for a year or two until they have made some progress on the park to be formerly known as HS. I do not believe they have announced SWW dates, so this might be something to keep an eye on.

I'll double check but SWW should be fine based on the last convo I had on the subject....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Ok, who around here was our Uni contract expert. @danlb_2000 ? @Tom ? I can't remember. We need the expert in here stat. I always thought the contract was just "any character used in the Universal park" couldn't be used.

Ahh, here
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

Now I just need someone who speaks legal-ese

I'm no legal expert, but I think it all comes down to how far one side or the other wants to push the definition of "family".

ProfSavage

Take a look at an aerial view of the building though. If they moved the ride exit to the far end it could actually be pretty close to Star Tours, especially if the inbetween was themed. If Commissary Lane became the Tatooine market or whatever you could have a situation where you go into the cinema to see the film, get sucked into the world of Star Wars, then exit to find yourself on another planet, in the Star Wars land, a bit like arriving in Hogsmeade from the Express.

Of course I'd prefer an updated GMR, but if they have to do something franchisey, that's the least worst option I think.

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but then it would only have the effect if you rode that ride first. And if there is a big E-ticket in the new SW Land, there would be a mass exodus every morning to it a la TSMM and people bypassing the theatre. Keep the Chinese Theatre its own separate entity.

And come on, Guardians would be a lot of fun! Groot and that awesome 70s soundtrack???

BrerJon

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but then it would only have the effect if you rode that ride first. And if there is a big E-ticket in the new SW Land, there would be a mass exodus every morning to it a la TSMM and people bypassing the theatre. Keep the Chinese Theatre its own separate entity.

No you misunderstand, the original post talked about GMR being replaced by a trackless Guardians ride... I'm saying if you must do that make it Star Wars... and that ride *would* be the Star Wars E-ticket everyone rushed to in the morning.

When Disney-MGM Studios first opened, Great Movie Ride was the main E-ticket in the park. It deserves that status once more.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Or 150' tall one of these:

Disney-Bob-Iger.jpg

Now I am going to puke. That photo looks so enhanced. Done some Botox, have we Bob. Ala Renée Z?

ProfSavage

No you misunderstand, the original post talked about GMR being replaced by a trackless Guardians ride... I'm saying if you must do that make it Star Wars... and that ride *would* be the Star Wars E-ticket everyone rushed to in the morning.

When Disney-MGM Studios first opened, Great Movie Ride was the main E-ticket in the park. It deserves that status once more.

Still, I much rather see a variety in DHS instead of an oversaturation of Star Wars and Pixar.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
A few thoughts...before we start uncorking champagne that the BAH is leaving...the reason Disney stated for putting in where it was put has not changed. MGM and Disney still do not have a close relationship and MGM is not going to just let Disney use the theater as the center piece of the park. I think we will be walking down Hollywood BLVD looking at something other than the theater ...which probably means the end of the GMR.

I have also been thinking that Star Wars Weekend might not be in DHS this May, with so much of the park closed for construction and such, they will not have the space to do all the activities they have done in the past. I wonder if they would move SWW to EPCOT or MK for a year or two until they have made some progress on the park to be formerly known as HS. I do not believe they have announced SWW dates, so this might be something to keep an eye on.

I don't remember them being announced this early, but I could be wrong. I cannot imagine Disney putting Star Wars weekend in the Magic Kingdom along with all the other daily parades and events, especially since attendance goes up each year. And with Star Wars VII scheduled to be released next December, I would think Star Wars 2015 will be a madhouse. And I will be there - already booked my DVC resort.

Donald Razorduck

My son would love a meet and greet with The Guardians over any other character. The movie was such surprize hit there wasn't even toys out at its release. If a sequal is done right like the other Marvel movies, it will have plenty of stand alone appeal. I told my wife my son may view that movie like I viewed Stars Wars when I was 5 in the late 70s. We were coming just for Disney in Feb but with so much closing it sure looks like we will get AK and the Studios done in a day to free up a day at Universal in mid week between the 9th and 13th, que Kermitt and scream YEA!!!!!!!

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't remember them being announced this early, but I could be wrong. I cannot imagine Disney putting Star Wars weekend in the Magic Kingdom along with all the other daily parades and events, especially since attendance goes up each year. And with Star Wars VII scheduled to be released next December, I would think Star Wars 2015 will be a madhouse. And I will be there - already booked my DVC resort.

They may leave it at DHS just to give people a reason to go there.

Mike S

And come on, Guardians would be a lot of fun! Groot and that awesome 70s soundtrack???
If Gaurdians was put in DHS I say they should put it in SoA along with The Incredibles and transform it into a kind of "Superhero City." GotG would look good next to Star Wars and The Incredibles obviously with Pixar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom