Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

Yo Marathon Weekend friends! :)

Just checking in. I have a half on September 7 and then training begins for me the next day. :eek: I'm hoping to go under 2:10 in my half, but I was playing around with the time submitting system at runDinsey.com and it looks like I'd need to do way better than that to improve my corral placement...so I'm not messing with my proof of time anymore. Which is fine!

Goofy is still sitting at 85% full...what the what?! o_O

LindsayLoves

Just checking in. I have a half on September 7 and then training begins for me the next day. :eek: I'm hoping to go under 2:10 in my half, but I was playing around with the time submitting system at runDinsey.com and it looks like I'd need to do way better than that to improve my corral placement...so I'm not messing with my proof of time anymore. Which is fine!

I lost count of how many times I submitted various proof of time options to see what it would get me as a predicted finishing time. Even if I do well in my 10 miler in September it will only take 2-5 minutes off my estimated finishing time which isn't really enough for me to worry about.

I am also surprised to see that Goofy hasn't filled up yet. I would've thought that folks who were shut out of the half or full would purchase that option to get in for their desired race and just not do the other one. It would be cheaper than running for a charity or through a travel provider.

Kermit262

Hey Ariel - I've got the Higden Dopey Training Plan penciled in to start Tuesday Sept 9. Just a little ol' 3 miler - shoot, this plan must be a piece of cake. ;) Going to knock it out in the morning then later that day going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! It'll be a perfect start for my Dopey training.

Good luck in your half. :)

Ariel484

Hey Ariel - I've got the Higden Dopey Training Plan penciled in to start Tuesday Sept 9. Just a little ol' 3 miler - shoot, this plan must be a piece of cake. ;) Going to knock it out in the morning then later that day going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! It'll be a perfect start for my Dopey training.

Good luck in your half. :)
Same here - we're on the same schedule. :) I keep having minor freakouts about the plan and then talking myself down. I just want to START it already.

Thanks for the good luck wishes!!

Texas84

Same here - we're on the same schedule. :) I keep having minor freakouts about the plan and then talking myself down. I just want to START it already.

Thanks for the good luck wishes!!

Same here. Let's just get it done already. I'm ramping up to 13 now. 11, 12, then start Dopey in a few weeks. Thanksgiving will be a challenge. 8-miler Wednesday before a 7-hour drive to North Carolina then 12 on Saturday, I think. Found a 6-mile trail close to my sister's house.

Also thinking about a F&W trip over Columbus Day weekend so I would have to find 9 miles somewhere in WDW.

First world problems.

Ariel484

Same here. Let's just get it done already. I'm ramping up to 13 now. 11, 12, then start Dopey in a few weeks. Thanksgiving will be a challenge. 8-miler Wednesday before a 7-hour drive to North Carolina then 12 on Saturday, I think. Found a 6-mile trail close to my sister's house.
Same plan as you - 11-miler this weekend, 12 next weekend, half marathon weekend after, then Dopey training.

My latest freak-out was about the Sunday long runs...right now I like to do my long runs on Saturday and have Sunday as my rest day so I can sit around and do nothing before work on Monday. But then I looked at the plan and saw I really only have 8 Sunday long runs on the schedule...one is a local half marathon and the other is the Jingle Jungle 5K + Wine & Dine (which I'm counting as my scheduled 17-miler for that week :D). So really 6 Sunday long runs where I have to motivate myself to go it alone. That's not too bad.

I've had similar freak-outs about the 5-day running weeks (only 8 of them in the 18-week plan, again, not bad) and the Wednesday 5-8 milers (mostly the weeks where those are 6-8 miles...this is what I'm the most nervous about).

We sometimes go to my in-laws' place for Thanksgiving so I'm not sure what I'll do that week if we do stay with them.
Also thinking about a F&W trip over Columbus Day weekend so I would have to find 9 miles somewhere in WDW.

First world problems.
I'm planning on shuffling my schedule around for Wine & Dine so that race day is the only running day for me on that trip. So the week leading up to it will suck a bit, but then I get to play in Disney for a few days...first world problems indeed. :D

JillC LI

I give you guys a lot of credit with this Dopey training. It's funny but I have zero desire to train for something like Dopey, or even Goofy. They just don't call to me. I *would* someday like to run the WDW Marathon though.

Texas84

I'm planning on shuffling my schedule around for Wine & Dine so that race day is the only running day for me on that trip. So the week leading up to it will suck a bit, but then I get to play in Disney for a few days...first world problems indeed. :D

I actually made W&D an 'off' week and moved up the Higdon start up one week. Works out to make Thanksgiving a Saturday only weekend.

I give you guys a lot of credit with this Dopey training. It's funny but I have zero desire to train for something like Dopey, or even Goofy. They just don't call to me. I *would* someday like to run the WDW Marathon though.

Gotta do Marathon once. I only wanted to do it once. Did it, loved it, said I would never do it again. Now I'm doing Dopey for my third. :facepalm:

Ariel484

I actually made W&D an 'off' week and moved up the Higdon start up one week. Works out to make Thanksgiving a Saturday only weekend.
That's a good idea. Hmm...
The training is absolutely tough. When I trained for Goofy 2013 (also did the 5K that weekend) I used Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon training plan (same one I used training for the 2012 marathon) - 4 days per week of running with a peak week of 40 miles. I had a few experienced Goofy runners tell me I just needed to train for it like I'd train for a marathon, and one person (not an experienced Goofy runner) tell me I wasn't doing enough miles and would regret it. :rolleyes: Except for my feet cramping up for the last 13-14 miles of the marathon, I did feel pretty good (need to work the cramping out - more salt? Electrolytes? Hmm...)

For Dopey I'm using another Higdon plan that peaks at a 42.5-mile week...the curveball is that there are some 5-day running weeks. o_O Never done that before. Anxious to start!

And I agree with @Texas84 - you definitely need to do the marathon once! Although the marathon is the "gateway drug" to doing the challenges...you've been warned!!
Gotta do Marathon once. I only wanted to do it once. Did it, loved it, said I would never do it again. Now I'm doing Dopey for my third. :facepalm:
I could have written this word-for-word. :) Immediately after marathon #1 I said "never again," within 24 hours I'd changed my mind, and while waiting for my flight home in the airport I was googling Goofy training plans...:D

Ariel484

Goofy medal and shirt posted on Facebook...funky!
10405443_994331667259462_8445359501448957141_n.jpg

JillC LI

And I agree with @Texas84 - you definitely need to do the marathon once! Although the marathon is the "gateway drug" to doing the challenges...you've been warned!!

I could have written this word-for-word. :) Immediately after marathon #1 I said "never again," within 24 hours I'd changed my mind, and while waiting for my flight home in the airport I was googling Goofy training plans...:D

I ran the NYC Marathon in 2005, and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. In training for that I developed a love for middle distance running and never stopped. I've now been a runner for 19 years (the first ten years under 10K only). But I haven't had the desire to do another marathon just yet. Someday, yes, and perhaps WDW. But right now I more enjoy the 10K-Half Marathon distances and have focused on increasing my speed (such as it is, lol) over the years, not longer distance. I'll do another marathon in the future, but I have no interest in the Challenges. I'm more likely to run a Disney race if it happens to coincide with an already-planned trip I have there rather than to plan a trip around a race. That's how I wound up running the ToT 13K in 2009 which was super-fun.

FerretAfros

Meant to comment on this before and forgot, I wonder if this is how the shirts/medals for the other races will be (with the dot motif)?
I would assume that we'll see something similar, since the Marathon Weekend shirts tend to all be quite similar to one another. I just hope that they don't use the same shirts they had this year, which are cheaply made and don't breathe well. With the number of runDisney races I'm doing this year, I really don't need more shirts to add to my ever-growing "not going to wear, but can't stand to throw away" pile

Have we seen designs for the other medals yet? It seems like all of the races are getting new medals each year now, so I wonder what the other 5 look like. I liked how they all had similar designs last year, and hope they find a way to coordinate them again

Ariel484

I would assume that we'll see something similar, since the Marathon Weekend shirts tend to all be quite similar to one another. I just hope that they don't use the same shirts they had this year, which are cheaply made and don't breathe well. With the number of runDisney races I'm doing this year, I really don't need more shirts to add to my ever-growing "not going to wear, but can't stand to throw away" pile
I just bought a LivingSocial deal where you send in shirts and the company turns them into a quilt. I used all old race shirts - of the 20 I sent in, 9 were from a Disney races. They received the shirts about a week ago so hopefully the quilt comes soon.

Only issue is I wasn't sure what to do with the sleeves from the long-sleeved shirts that have the park icons on them...that's one of my favorite runDisney details. If I was good with a sewing machine I'd make a tote bag out of them or something.
Have we seen designs for the other medals yet? It seems like all of the races are getting new medals each year now, so I wonder what the other 5 look like. I liked how they all had similar designs last year, and hope they find a way to coordinate them again
I don't think so. I think they've just put out Goofy stuff because it's the anniversary year and they want people to register. The put out the Wine & Dine medals and the Avengers medals about 3 months before the races so maybe we'll see then in Octoberish???

Mad Stitch

I just bought a LivingSocial deal where you send in shirts and the company turns them into a quilt. I used all old race shirts - of the 20 I sent in, 9 were from a Disney races. They received the shirts about a week ago so hopefully the quilt comes soon.

Now that's a good idea. I don't need a quilt though. Be sure to post a pic of it when you get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom