Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

dstrawn9889

nfl will probably be allowed to grow for a while, but proper pruning keeps the limbs from breaking under wind load... no need to prune for a show, like in the hub...

Kman101

I''m not saying we'll see tall trees as well (and I'm with you Gabe on not wanting to see straight through to other lands from the hub and I hope for LARGE trees as well) but it is just concept art. Since when did we all just start accepting that as how it's actually going to be? I think they do a lot of things half-a**** you know, but I personally believe they are trying to honestly improve this area, despite the claims that they would never do anything to improve guest experience and it's all for the bottom line. Then why bother even changing it and spending the money?

The way it was before just isn't coming back. We can all wish it would (I'm with that) but it's not. If we have added flowers and trees and lights in the trees, and FOUNTAINS (which TDO seems to love to get rid of) I'd say it's a step in the right direction and will probably look beautiful. And it's not even complete. If I'm going by the concept art, then they've shrunk the partners statue below the size of a human ;)

All IMHO :) And can I ask how it will look "odd" looking back at Main Street? If you see more grass with plants and fountains and trees, then that to me, is like looking back at a main street park. I'm not seeing why this is going to be such a travesty. Theme wise, possibly, I get that, to some extent (and I'm not super fond of losing water around the area either, so I'm not 100% with this either but I can absolutely see it being a good step in the right direction). Now if only EPCOT wasn't a travesty ....

BoarderPhreak

^ Notice all the greenery around the (former) outside terrace of Cosmic Ray's is gone?

Main-Street-USA_Full_20896.jpg;width=800;height=532;mode=crop

Speaking of Rusticland... Why exactly DOES the entrance to Tomorrowland have sandstone rock work? I guess they were shooting for a "Mars look" but in the context of this discussion... I think we're now extending Rusticland all the way around!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Well it looks like the project is moving fast with the water back in the moat already. It think that the moats look better and it seems that this project might turn out better then what many are suggesting. If there are going to do "castle shows", then this project is much needed. All the work going on in the Magic Kingdom makes be believe that it is going to get some of the tender loving care it has not in the last few years. Lots of rehabs happening everywhere you look.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
^ Notice all the greenery around the (former) outside terrace of Cosmic Ray's is gone?

Speaking of Rusticland... Why exactly DOES the entrance to Tomorrowland have sandstone rock work? I guess they were shooting for a "Mars look" but in the context of this discussion... I think we're now extending Rusticland all the way around!

It has been replanted, so give it a while and it will be back.

articos

The hub itself will be nice, but I'm still bummed it'll still look odd looking towards the castle from Main Street.

Also slightly off-topic, but will the trees in NFL grow much bigger than they currently are? I can only assume they'll use similar trees in the hub, so I'm curious...
Depends. The design for NFL would allow for some areas to grow in more and others to be kept more spartan. Enchanted Forest should be allowed to grow in a bit as a forest, as long as the buildings can be seen. As you get closer to Ariel, it should thin out, as it does when you get closer to the shore. Storybook will be kept smaller, as there doesn't need to be as much planting, and keeping in scale with the area. The circus tents are the focus, not the plants. And Dwarves should be kept smaller as to not mess up the scale of the mountain. Whether all of this will be kept to depends on how much horticulture remembers to keep to the design over the years.

jt04

Depends. The design for NFL would allow for some areas to grow in more and others to be kept more spartan. Enchanted Forest should be allowed to grow in a bit as a forest, as long as the buildings can be seen. As you get closer to Ariel, it should thin out, as it does when you get closer to the shore. Storybook will be kept smaller, as there doesn't need to be as much planting, and keeping in scale with the area. The circus tents are the focus, not the plants. And Dwarves should be kept smaller as to not mess up the scale of the mountain. Whether all of this will be kept to depends on how much horticulture remembers to keep to the design over the years.

Aren't some of the trees artificial?

The Empress Lilly

I actually like it better with smaller vegetation. The new plants will grow. I hope they keep them well pruned, shorter than the previous ones.

I do think the building has lost much of its architectural saying power with the terrace being glassed in. And visual unity with the neighbouring TL Terrace. Surely there was enough indoor seating to leave those balconies open for guests who prefer to sit outside in the shade?
(Or re-open the many closed restaurants, so all seating issues are solved at once. Ops may prefer every table occupied for maximum efficiency, rather one table opening up at the exact instance a guest shows up, but the guest experience is better served by a surplus of tables and seating options, so the guest can decide at his leisure where and when to sit)

The Empress Lilly

I agree. The framing around the windows looks cheasy too. They could have done an all glass solution which could have preserved the aesthetic of the original building.
Ha! Trust somebody from Chicago, America's prettiest city, to understand modern, well mid-century, architecture!

The framings do look cheesy indeed. They drag down the entire building. As do the silly polychrome pastel paint jobs. It should be white, white, white. The hub side of that 'Cosmic Rays' building is worthy of Frank Lloyd Wright, beautiful organic architecture, a terrace over a waterfall. And they turn it into a multicolour cartoon alien joint. :cry:

Remy

I guess for me the biggest objection is eliminating the bridge over the water from Main Street in favor of a paved walkway and additional foot paths. I do not like the way that the water in the moat just terminates and does not go "full circle". That is what a real moat does right? Intersting though that Disney has refilled the entire moat again. We shall see...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom