Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Rob562

I guess for me the biggest objection is eliminating the bridge over the water from Main Street in favor of a paved walkway and additional foot paths. I do not like the way that the water in the moat just terminates and does not go "full circle". That is what a real moat does right? Intersting though that Disney has refilled the entire moat again. We shall see...

While it probably won't connect, the blueprints that were posted a while back showed that where the waterway meets the new parks it will at least appear that the water goes under them. There won't just be a (visible) wall.

I'm also glad that they put in the temporary dams to refill the remaining 4/5 of the waterway during construction.

-Rob

note2001

I guess for me the biggest objection is eliminating the bridge over the water from Main Street in favor of a paved walkway and additional foot paths. I do not like the way that the water in the moat just terminates and does not go "full circle". That is what a real moat does right? Intersting though that Disney has refilled the entire moat again. We shall see...

True moats encircle a castle as added protection. Disney never had a moat.This is simply a waterway in front of the castle so breaking the circle technically won't matter a bit. What it comes down to is whether or not folk like the water going under the main street bridge. I doubt many folk will notice the change.

Have they refilled the entire loop? I saw the news here stating they refilled it, but have not seen pictures up close to main street there. Anyone down there now with more pics? (We always love MK pics! :D)

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
That's a very common response and I've received it first hand on several occasions. "Disneyland doesn't have the crowds we do..."

We only have crowds in the Hub because Disney has decided to put entertainment in a venue that doesn't have adequate square footage to handle plus use it simultaneously as a guest hub for foot traffic plus handle 5 restaurants surrounding the hub.

No matter how many times Disney redesigns the hub it always comes back to there is not adequate square footage for the entertainment line-up shoe horned into the Hub. Disney fixed that with the World Showcase and Fantasmic. With the Hub Disney continues to try to fit a square peg into a round hole. Lessons never learned.

Last edited:

asianway

I completely second this. Some of my best friends on my CP were PAC and I just felt awful for them to see them be treated so terribly by some of the guests fairly regularly. It may have to do with the different type of guests or something, I really don't know. But the PAC CM's try their best, I can guarantee you that.
Trying your best gets you fired amywhere else if you perform at the level PAC does at MK. They are a joke

ZodIsGr8

Doesn't PAC stand for Parade Animal Control? Because the guests act more like animals than people?
Disney is the only place that people happily fork out money hand over fist to be herded like cattle in and out of lines and is the only place I know where you pay money to inflict bodily harm in the form of aching body parts due to all of the walking. After saying all that, I would do just about anything to be there right now and I just got back. I am hopelessly addicted to the this place and I do not want to ever be cured!

Last edited:

tirian

Funny how many people think DL's PAC is better than the MK's.

IMO, DL methods are a disaster, with too few CMs and annoying ropes everywhere. It does work, but I think that's because the locals tend to follow the rules in Cali whereas the tourists in Florida jam their strollers and ECVs through blockades. I don't know if WDW could actually fix this nightly problem without new pathways.

note2001

IMO, DL methods are a disaster, with too few CMs and annoying ropes everywhere. It does work, but I think that's because the locals tend to follow the rules in Cali whereas the tourists in Florida jam their strollers and ECVs through blockades. I don't know if WDW could actually fix this nightly problem without new pathways.

I count this as the winner in the DL vs WDW croud control debate. It's been mentioned at least twice in this thread that the guests at WDW and DL are of a very different composition. DL = mostly locals who, like locals anywhere for any reason will learn and, for the better part, respect unspoken rules.

WDW's guests are from all over, not just the US, but the world. This is a once in a lifetime trip to many, and gosh-darn-it, nobody had better get in the way of their vacation, or of what they want to do because they have earned and paid for the right to do it. Self entitlement has become a painful theme we see over and over at WDW, to the point that those who stand in the way of the entitled ones are trampled, cursed, complained about and receive elbows to the lower back.

The Disney corporation has not done much to reduce this attitude either as they still promote WDW as *the* ultimate destination that was made just you and your family. The most recent Disney video blog I saw was the one with the hats... at the end they imply that Mickey himself will hand deliver your freshly embroidered hat to you.

(winner, game's over, next topic... and no, I don't expect anyone to listen to me, hehe)

Last edited:

Rob562

Have they refilled the entire loop? I saw the news here stating they refilled it, but have not seen pictures up close to main street there. Anyone down there now with more pics? (We always love MK pics! :D)

They installed temporary dams (that appear to be water-filled fabric/rubber bubbles of some sort)in front of the Tomorrowland Terrace and the Crystal Palace. They then re-filled the rest of the moat, leaving the area dry where the new parks and walkways over the waterway will be at the south end of the Hub.

There were pics posted online during the refilling, though not necessarily on here. I'll see if I can find some.

EDIT: It was about 5 pages back on this thread showing one of the dams and the waterway starting to be refilled:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...the-magic-kingdom.880663/page-56#post-6035966

-Rob

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Not so tough. People give what they get. Step one is for yer worthless buddies in Main St Ops to not use screaming as a method of crowd control.
Yes. And step two would be to not refer to guests as animals anymore. If you think of yourself as Parade Animal Control you not only offend the persons paying your wages, but you also - slowly, subconsciously - start to think of them in a counterproductive, hostile manner. Crowds and people in crowds have their own set of behavioural patterns. It is better to understand those than to call the individuals mindless animals. They are not. They nearly universally behave in perfectly predictable manners that can be easily manipulated.

note2001

They installed temporary dams (that appear to be water-filled fabric/rubber bubbles of some sort)in front of the Tomorrowland Terrace and the Crystal Palace. They then re-filled the rest of the moat, leaving the area dry where the new parks and walkways over the waterway will be at the south end of the Hub.

There were pics posted online during the refilling, though not necessarily on here. I'll see if I can find some.

EDIT: It was about 5 pages back on this thread showing one of the dams and the waterway starting to be refilled:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...the-magic-kingdom.880663/page-56#post-6035966

-Rob

Thanks, I saw that pic, but since it was posted the news came out and sounded like Disney had performed some sort of super-human magic and removed the water dams to have the water encircle the hub again.

Several folks here and on other forums have been making comments about the water going up to the main street bridge again.

Last edited:

Rob562

Thanks, I saw that pic, but since it was posted the news came out and sounded like Disney had performed some sort of super-human magic and removed the water dams to have the water encircle the hub again. My mistake. :) (Get used to 'em, I make plenty!)

Yeah, the pics posted in the main news item about the water going back in on the WDWMagic main news page didn't show any of the areas where the dams were, so I could see how it'd be a little confusing.

-Rob

Father Robinson

Little detour here.. With the recent refilling of the moat, I got to thinking, any word on if the ponds in FW at EPCOT are all filled again, or is there one or two that are still dry?

COProgressFan

I guess for me, it seemed like in my most recent visit to DL (a couple years ago) there at least was a plan in place, and from what I observed, CMs were practically tripping over each other because there were so many of them (this was a weekend night in September).

Whether it worked or not, it at the very least seemed like there was some kind of system at DL, with no evidence of one (or too few CMs to enforce it) at the MK.

DisneyGentleman

Ha! Trust somebody from Chicago, America's prettiest city, to understand modern, well mid-century, architecture!

The framings do look cheesy indeed. They drag down the entire building. As do the silly polychrome pastel paint jobs. It should be white, white, white. The hub side of that 'Cosmic Rays' building is worthy of Frank Lloyd Wright, beautiful organic architecture, a terrace over a waterfall. And they turn it into a multicolour cartoon alien joint. :cry:
I think we are missing the point - it is designed with all the architectural care and integrity of a local neighborhood McDonalds. That is the future, after all.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
image.jpg
Little detour here.. With the recent refilling of the moat, I got to thinking, any word on if the ponds in FW at EPCOT are all filled again, or is there one or two that are still dry?

The ponds had water in them the first two weeks of April while I was there. They still are the same, very lack luster.
Disney had a ramp up in one to the the surrounding grass area for the baby ducks to get out of the water.

And the moats are not all refilled there are dams. Here is todays version. Pur-ty huh?

BmMaS00CQAA8xfH.jpg

photo easy wdw

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom