Safety Raid at DLR. Could it happen here?

Scuttle

I really wanted to get down there to see that launch.

End of an era.

Yes, but we have to move beyond LEO. I love the shuttle, but Orion looks pretty awesome and from what I have been following it looks like the first test flight will happen late next year.

I'll be there for it!

Scuttle

I was on a list to spectate at it but the final date after the delays would not allow. Instead I watched from within NASA Langley and it was a very moving and somber event to experience.

I was spoiled growing up in Orlando and was lucky enough to have a dad that cared enough to take me to multiple shuttle launches.

Awesome you got the chance from Langley that sounds incredible.

TP2000

Al Lutz has a note up on Miceage about the closures today. It's a California DOSH issue, which means it can't/won't happen at the WDW parks.

Editor’s Note:​

• April 13, 2013: DOSH Closes Disneyland Attractions For Safety Violations:
    Three E Ticket attractions at the Disneyland Resort have been suddenly closed this weekend. The Matterhorn, Space Mountain and Soarin' Over California are now closed indefinitely, after state DOSH investigators on Friday disciplined Disneyland for the accident last November where an outside contractor cleaning the Space Mountain roof slipped and was slightly injured. The closed attractions all have at least one backstage area that don't meet the state requirement of harnessed fall protection for any employee walkway with more than a 30 inch drop opposite a hand rail. Disneyland is rushing to find quick fixes for these backstage areas this weekend to satisfy DOSH, and several other E Tickets were delayed in opening by several hours Saturday morning for inspections. The rest of the Anaheim attractions will be inspected for DOSH compliance in the next few days, and more temporary closures are possible.

wdwfan22

But I'm lead to believe here that Disneyland is perfect and TDA is the savior!

Looks like they're not taking care of their stuff! Thank goodness for TDO!! :)

lol, and if you go back and look they have known about the problems for quite some time. It's probably a good thing they can't show up in Orlando because God knows what they would find. We would be closing theme parks.

TP2000

$234,000 for just Space? Yikes....what about the others?

Don't know yet, but I don't think they can be fined because no one has been injured at those. Space Mountain was a formal investigation because a contracted worker who was hired to clean the roof of Space Mountain wasn't wearing his safety harness correctly. He slipped and fell 20 feet down the side of Space Mountain, landing at the bottom of the dome and had to be lowered to the ground by the fire department. He sustained minor injuries and was released from the hospital a short time later. Disneyland was fined $234,000 by the state government for that accident, even though it wasn't even a Disney Cast Member who slipped.

And that accident appears to have triggered all of these additional inspections, on a weekend no less, that have closed several E Tickets in both Disneyland and DCA.

It's all primarily a product of a very aggressive regulatory environment in California, and thus it's not something likely to ever take place at the WDW parks or the attractions there. Do state inspectors even go on Disney property at WDW? Anyone know what type of activities the state of Florida regulates and inspects at WDW with the ability to discipline and fine and possibly close down facilities?

Sassagoula-Rvr

It's all primarily a product of a very aggressive regulatory environment in California, and thus it's not something likely to ever take place at the WDW parks or the attractions there. Do state inspectors even go on Disney property at WDW? Anyone know what type of activities the state of Florida regulates and inspects at WDW with the ability to discipline and fine and possibly close down facilities?

Does anyone know, do state regulators even have any authority over WDW? I was always under the impression that for the most part the Disney company told Florida, "There's the door"

SkipperButler

WDW actually has Reedy Creek to deal with, which actually has more stringent guidelines than the state of Florida. Although Disney has quasi-control over the department, Reedy Creek still wields power over the daily operators of the park.

Captain Neo

WDW actually has Reedy Creek to deal with, which actually has more stringent guidelines than the state of Florida. Although Disney has quasi-control over the department, Reedy Creek still wields power over the daily operators of the park.

Eh if that was true half the rides would be closed for mandatory maintenance right now

Did Knee

I can't stop laughing at this thread. Keep up the good work.
Really? Did you go to http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/citation.html and read? Let me quote for you: "An employee of a contractor was seriously injured when performing exterior building maintenance on the Space Mountain attraction. During the investigation the Division learned that Disneyland Resort had completed “Fall Protection Assessment Reports” in August of 2006 and failed to adequately correct these known fall hazards that existed on the exterior of Space Mountain. "

Do you really find it funny that somebody was injured because Disney didn't fix stuff they were told to fix? If "I can't stop laughing" is how you truly feel then your lack of empathy is appalling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom