Safety Raid at DLR. Could it happen here?

TP2000

By the way -- before it gets too out of hand, what they are cited for is not having seat belts. I am sure the lawyers have more to do with this than anything in park operations. They'll battle it out and win.

Seatbelts? These rides are closed for "fall protection", and that means worker safety. Most likely this has to do with maintenance guys on catwalks and such who need adequate fall protection.

I agree that this is very silly. But one thing anyone in California knows is that you simply can not fight Sacramento and the very wise men and women who dictate our lives from the capitol buildings there. DOSH is not a state agency you say no to, if you want to stay in business. :rolleyes:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I just skimmed through these but I had to share this one:
On February 15, 2010 Employee #1, a full time kitchen cleaner during the "graveyard shift" at Disneyland Resort, was walking through the kitchen and placed his right foot in a bucket of cleaner whose top edge was 27 inches off the floor. He said he did not know that there was Oasis Enforce, a corrosive cleaner, in the bucket. Facilities were available for washing off his foot at the restaurant but he did not. After the incident, he did not remove his sock nor wash off his foot for 2 days. When his foot was bothering him, three days later he reported the incident to his employer. Employee #1 received a chemical burn to the top of his right foot for which he underwent surgery to receive skin grafts.​

TP2000

The last ride related Disneyland death I could find was in 2003 when BTM's train derailed.

What two deaths are you referring to?

Big Thunder Mountain in 2003, Sailing Ship Columbia in 1998. The beginning and the end of the Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss era at Disneyland.

lazyboy97o

The last ride related Disneyland death I could find was in 2003 when BTM's train derailed.

What two deaths are you referring to?
That one and the earlier one related to the Columbia. They're why the state became more active in regulating fixed amusements.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I just skimmed through these but I had to share this one:
On February 15, 2010 Employee #1, a full time kitchen cleaner during the "graveyard shift" at Disneyland Resort, was walking through the kitchen and placed his right foot in a bucket of cleaner whose top edge was 27 inches off the floor. He said he did not know that there was Oasis Enforce, a corrosive cleaner, in the bucket. Facilities were available for washing off his foot at the restaurant but he did not. After the incident, he did not remove his sock nor wash off his foot for 2 days. When his foot was bothering him, three days later he reported the incident to his employer. Employee #1 received a chemical burn to the top of his right foot for which he underwent surgery to receive skin grafts.​

Yeah, I saw that one.

I thought to myself..."Did not remove his sock nor wash off his foot for 2 days"

What?!?!?!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Original Poster
Seatbelts? These rides are closed for "fall protection", and that means worker safety. Most likely this has to do with maintenance guys on catwalks and such who need adequate fall protection.

I agree that this is very silly. But one thing anyone in California knows is that you simply can not fight Sacramento and the very wise men and women who dictate our lives from the capitol buildings there. DOSH is not a state agency you say no to, if you want to stay in business. :rolleyes:

From what I hear that is pretty spot on. For one ride at least.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
As posted on MiceChat, here's the DOSH/Cal OSHA citation document. The first few are real laugh inducing, the rest are at least somewhat understandable.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/citations/The_Walt_Disney_Company_DBA_Disneyland_Resort_ IMIS_315531715.pdf#zoom=100

Just getting through the first section...but yeesh...really?

Some of them in the first section are very silly, but frankly, shame on Disney. HVAC records? Expired Fire Extinguisher?

But, this caught my eye (note, I'm not through the document, this is just the first part of the citation so far)...

"Proposed fine - $70,000"

Well, guess ticket prices will be going up!

--edit--

Ok, done. Total proposed fine of $234,850.00!

That inspector certainly earned his pay this month!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Original Poster

Some of them in the first section are very silly, but frankly, shame on Disney. HVAC records? Expired Fire Extinguisher?

But, this caught my eye (note, I'm not through the document, this is just the first part of the citation so far)...

--edit--

Totaled proposed $234,000.

Wow, now to see the trickle down affect. Nets throughout rides for workers?

unkadug

--edit--

Please ... that's a mere drop in the bucket. I'd imagine that one days Cola sales alone would pay that fine.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Totaled proposed $234,000.

Wow, now to see the trickle down affect. Nets throughout rides for workers?

Nah. They'll just outsource Space Mountain to India.

As a side note, that citation seemed to only deal with Space Mountain. I wonder if there are others for Matterhorn and Sourin?

This could be a lot more costly if so...

gsimpson

The only reason I don't think this can happen at Walt Disney World is because I believe their is no similar agency in Florida with such jurisdiction over fixed amusements.

And for those rolling their eyes at California, the impetus for them to be so involved was Disney being responsible for the death of two guests.

The fact that Disney has deep pockets and California is for all practical purposes bankrupt I'm sure has nothing to do with it, mind you the fact the California is the epi-center for nanny government thinking could also be the reason. I'm sure they have enough money to continue the gravy train at the state house though.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
But should Disney be above the law and not have to provide the same amount of employee protection that a mom and pop operation must adhere to?

According to the citation, the reason for the investigation was an employee of a contractor hired to clean / maintain the outside of Space Mountain had his tie down fail on him, and he fell and was injured.

While investigating the complain, the State of Cali discovered the other violations. Their actions are due to the fact that it seems Disney has known about these violations since 2006...and did nothing about them.

unkadug

According to the citation, the reason for the investigation was an employee of a contractor hired to clean / maintain the outside of Space Mountain had his tie down fail on him, and he fell and was injured.

While investigating the complain, the State of Cali discovered the other violations. Their actions are due to the fact that it seems Disney has known about these violations since 2006...and did nothing about them.
Exactly...Disney acting as though the laws do not pertain to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom