MyMagic+ MagicBands to begin testing in parks soon

parker4fm

All indications are that this is flat out not true. The Yeti can be fixed. But it won't be.

Indications from?? I don't work for Disney, I have friends that do. One is head of technical at MK. I'm only going by what he has told me. I could be confused, but it makes sense to me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay ladies and gentlemen, if you're a true Disney fan, you know all about the Yeti. And you know why it cannot be "fixed" the way most of us would want. Here's the deal...the mountain is a separate structure, the coaster support is a separate structure, and the yeti is a separate structure. In order for the full repair to happen the mountain would have to literally be opened! Can you imagine the time and cost involved with this?

Disney just can't do it. Especially in a park that already lacks attractions. Yes, we can all admit that WDI made a major mistake somewhere with this, but they can't risk running the Yeti in full mode and having it shake the support structure of the coaster.

All of that said, the yeti is not worth discussing. It is not broken, it just "is".
Separate structures yes, but this has no impact on the maintenance. There is a large access door at the rear that allows access to the AA.

dupac

Love this quote from an article I just read on Time Business and Money. It perfectly describes the purpose behind Fast Pass +

Disney doesn’t want guests milling around for hours waiting for their turn to hop aboard a seven-minute ride. When guests are waiting in line, you see, they aren’t in gift shops and restaurants. They aren’t booking spa treatments or sitting down at special meals featuring princesses and other beloved Disney characters. Simply put, when guests are waiting line, they aren’t spending money. Instead, they’re just waiting around, and the wait is probably leaving a bad taste in their mouths. By offering the possibility of skipping lines, Disney decreases the annoyance factor, while simultaneously increasing the odds that guests will do and spend more during visits.

This is/was exactly the purpose for original FP. FP+ now let's people feel like they have more control over their fast passes.

G00fyDad

Okay ladies and gentlemen, if you're a true Disney fan, you know all about the Yeti.

I am and I do.

Here's the deal...the mountain is a separate structure, the coaster support is a separate structure, and the yeti is a separate structure.

True, true, and true.

In order for the full repair to happen the mountain would have to literally be opened!

False.

Can you imagine the time and cost involved with this?

Yes.

Disney just can't do it.

Correction..... "won't" do it works better. ;)

Especially in a park that already lacks attractions.

True, but who's fault is that? cough, cough, cough DISNEY! cough, cough, cough

Yes, we can all admit that WDI made a major mistake somewhere with this, but they can't risk running the Yeti in full mode and having it shake the support structure of the coaster.

They are seperate structures. It wouldn't affect the coaster or mountain structure much. Falling on a guest and killing them (ironic as it would be) is the bigger issue.

All of that said, the yeti is not worth discussing. It is not broken, it just "is".

It "is" broken and it "is"worth discussing. ;)

Redhawk

FP+ now let's people feel like they have more control over their fast passes.

Despite some people's panic and dire predictions, I think FP+ will work well and make more people happier about having to spend less time in lines and less time acquiring FPs. I just returned from a trip and it was annoying to have to walk all the way across a park just to get a FastPass. If I could have gone to a kiosk at the front of the park, even on the day I visited, and picked up 1 or 2 passes, I'd have been thrilled. Too many people are assuming that unless you schedule all your FP+s months out, you won't ever get one. I'm sure Disney will develop a better system than that.

RSoxNo1

OK. You're a (relatively) smart dude. What do you think the chances are I can show up with my AP staying off-site at 3 in the afternoon and get a FP to say Soarin? Or TSMM? Or one of the mountains? ... Or will I only be able to get one for Living with the Land, GMR and Aladdin's carpets (and, worse, actually need them because of artificial lines created by FP+)?
The same amount of chance you probably have now. How often are there FP left for those rides after3 pm?
If you can tell me that the level of access to attractions will be exactly the same (or better) day of, I'll stop complaining about this right now. The problem is, nothing they have done with these tests and the expansion of Fastpass+ has indicated this to me. It's far more likely that it will take longer to do what we were doing before, and it will likely cost more to do so. But on the plus side they're building one more ride in the Magic Kingdom so that should more than make up for it.

RSoxNo1

Despite some people's panic and dire predictions, I think FP+ will work well and make more people happier about having to spend less time in lines and less time acquiring FPs. I just returned from a trip and it was annoying to have to walk all the way across a park just to get a FastPass. If I could have gone to a kiosk at the front of the park, even on the day I visited, and picked up 1 or 2 passes, I'd have been thrilled. Too many people are assuming that unless you schedule all your FP+s months out, you won't ever get one. I'm sure Disney will develop a better system than that.
The problem is, lines will be longer not shorter.

Tip Top Club

Lines will be longer at E-Tickets that already have long lines anyway....

So...Use a fastpass for them and continue not using a Fastpass for, Say, Living with the Land at 7:00pm when it won't have a line....

Sped2424

Indications from?? I don't work for Disney, I have friends that do. One is head of technical at MK. I'm only going by what he has told me. I could be confused, but it makes sense to me.
He is absolutely right in order for the ride to be fixed they would literally have to shut the ride down for a long period of time and then open the mountain up. seeing how that is really one of the only e tickets at that park at this time they really cant afford to do that.

COProgressFan

He is absolutely right in order for the ride to be fixed they would literally have to shut the ride down for a long period of time and then open the mountain up. seeing how that is really one of the only e tickets at that park at this time they really cant afford to do that.

1. They would not need to shut down the ride, and even if they did for a period time, life would go on.

2. They can afford it.

freediverdude

Okay ladies and gentlemen, if you're a true Disney fan, you know all about the Yeti. And you know why it cannot be "fixed" the way most of us would want. Here's the deal...the mountain is a separate structure, the coaster support is a separate structure, and the yeti is a separate structure. In order for the full repair to happen the mountain would have to literally be opened! Can you imagine the time and cost involved with this?

Disney just can't do it. Especially in a park that already lacks attractions. Yes, we can all admit that WDI made a major mistake somewhere with this, but they can't risk running the Yeti in full mode and having it shake the support structure of the coaster.

The Yeti is the headliner of the attraction. The climax of the attraction. They HAVE to do it. No ifs ands or buts. Yes it will cost a fortune, but they took a risk engineering that animatronic, and unfortunately didn't succeed that time. They need to close the attraction, and re-engineer the Yeti to make the stress levels work. It's just completely unacceptable to have a Yeti that most people don't even end up seeing at the end of the ride and wondering what happened. They have run it far too long the way it is already. Too bad so sad, but it's a must fix. This isn't some chickens drooping on Splash Mountain, this is the legendary Yeti that you're supposed to be meeting on top of Mount Everest, that the whole queue leads up to.

Weather_Lady

Love this quote from an article I just read on Time Business and Money. It perfectly describes the purpose behind Fast Pass +

Disney doesn’t want guests milling around for hours waiting for their turn to hop aboard a seven-minute ride. When guests are waiting in line, you see, they aren’t in gift shops and restaurants. They aren’t booking spa treatments or sitting down at special meals featuring princesses and other beloved Disney characters. Simply put, when guests are waiting line, they aren’t spending money. Instead, they’re just waiting around, and the wait is probably leaving a bad taste in their mouths. By offering the possibility of skipping lines, Disney decreases the annoyance factor, while simultaneously increasing the odds that guests will do and spend more during visits.

I'm just a little skeptical about how Fastpass+ will do this any better than the current Fastpass system. I suspect that most of the same people who use Fastpass now will use Fastpass+, but they'll be getting fewer Fastpasses per day because the number will be limited. Some folks (e.g., my not-so-tech-savvy-parents) who used the old Fastpass system will drop out and not bother with Fastpass+, because if it's not a concrete, three-dimensional ticket in their hand, it rather mystifies them, and they are not interested in navigating new technologies to take advantage of it. Others will reject Fastpass+ solely on the basis that they hate the idea of "pre-planning" more of their vacation. Those who don't use Fastpass at all now aren't any more likely to use Fastpass+. The net result: fewer Fastpasses being reserved and/or used, more people in standby lines, and longer waits for the dedicated "Disney people" that generally make up most of the Fastpass crowd.

I know it's cynical, but I see the whole Fastpass+ rollout as a back-door way of getting people to pay for Fastpasses in the future. Once those standby wait times go up because Fastpass has been replaced by Fastpass+, Disney will swoop in and offer to "fix" the problem (a problem it created intentionally) and "enhance our experience" by offering us the "privilege" of paying for extra Fastpasses beyond the daily limit. Guests will find themselves forking over money for a service that used to be free, and Disney will expect to be thanked for it.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The Yeti is the headliner of the attraction. The climax of the attraction. They HAVE to do it. No ifs ands or buts. Yes it will cost a fortune, but they took a risk engineering that animatronic, and unfortunately didn't succeed that time. They need to close the attraction, and re-engineer the Yeti to make the stress levels work. It's just completely unacceptable to have a Yeti that most people don't even end up seeing at the end of the ride and wondering what happened. They have run it far too long the way it is already. Too bad so sad, but it's a must fix. This isn't some chickens drooping on Splash Mountain, this is the legendary Yeti that you're supposed to be meeting on top of Mount Everest, that the whole queue leads up to.

A thought, would it be better in the long run to build a whole new Yeti and place it in the ride. You could leave EE open and create a new Yeti behind the scenes and place him in the mountain when it is ready. The down time for the ride would be less which is a plus in WDW book.

articos

I will post separately (in the Yeti thread) addressing the Yeti since it keeps popping up over and over again. In the meantime, a couple points to make:

The figure is accessible. As @wdwmagic said, there is an access point. That is not the problem. No, the mountain would not have to be dismantled, but it would take substantial downtime to do the work necessary to bring it up to operating condition. Months, not weeks. It likely will be addressed, but there are other factors that have to happen first.

hiptwinmama

I don't think it will make the current system better, I love the idea of the magic band and I like the idea of keeping your fast passes on the band, but the whole scheduling your fast pass thing is just a little silly if you ask me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom