'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

wilkeliza

Aw shucks guys I got all flustered an overwhelmed and forgot where the group was meeting so I missed it. If any of you see me on the course or at the after party my number is 9896 and my name is Elizabeth.

MKCP 1985

The wdwmagic.com Tower of Terror 10 Mile Race crew for 2012:
TowerRace.jpg

I'm sure they are all enjoying their medals and making the most of the Villains party right about now.

wilkeliza

I did it guys! I got very sick after so I didn't stick around for the party but I completed (2 hours 39 minutes) and got my medal. Now I just need to learn how to run a distance with out getting a serious tummy ache. I'm already starting to feel better now though.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I didn't deal well with the heat...we finished in 2:16. I could never breathe decently. Then I started dealing with nipple chafing....something I've never dealt with. I think I was really dehydrated by the time I was done. I was pouring sweat faster than I was replenishing.

It was great meeting everyone, and telling Joel how his words stuck in my head during my last race.

The course was very narrow in places....and didn't seem to be built to handle the middle of the pack coming through.

I also hate Osceola Blvd.

MKCP 1985

I am stuck on bandaids . . . for anything longer than a 5K! :cool:

How were the villains? I saw photos of the Haunted Mansion grave diggers on the course, which I love those characters. I also saw Darth Vader and Cruella DeVil after the finish, because the runners all had finisher medals around their necks. What else did you all see?

wilkeliza

I am stuck on bandaids . . . for anything longer than a 5K! :cool:

How were the villains? I saw photos of the Haunted Mansion grave diggers on the course, which I love those characters. I also saw Darth Vader and Cruella DeVil after the finish, because the runners all had finisher medals around their necks. What else did you all see?

There were the hyenas, Stitch (he's not a villan so I'm not sure why), the Shadowman, the big bad wolf, and I can't remember what else.

Just wondering why did people who DNC/DNF according to their tracking tags still get medals? Is that common for all races or just Disney races? I ended up a 15:55 pace but I know someone who was running and their finish pace was 17 minutes. They still got their medal but I was under the impression that if you didn't maintain the 16 min/mile you weren't eligible for the medal. I don't want to be offensive to those that didn't make the 16 min/mile pace but I know we all worked hard to get the race pace we did and I'm so happy I have a time to submit to other races now. I'm also just trying to prepare myself for any other race I may try in the near future.

MKCP 1985

They tell you in advance you may be swept or not allowed to finish if you don't maintain that 16:00 pace but while it is enforced, it is not strictly enforced. If a person does not cross the finish line, they do not get a finisher medal. At least that has been protocol in the past.

wilkeliza

They tell you in advance you may be swept or not allowed to finish if you don't maintain that 16:00 pace but while it is enforced, it is not strictly enforced. If a person does not cross the finish line, they do not get a finisher medal. At least that has been protocol in the past.

Ok. I was just confused because I know there were a few hard core pacers out there waiting for the call to start sweeping and I know people who finished with an average of 17 min/mile who still got their medals. So when do the sweepers actually go and do their thing?

Like I said didn't want to be rude about the situation but I did hear to women in front of me who were talking about being swept but they still had on medals. It made me a little mad because I worked my butt off to keep going through even the hardest times in the race to keep a good pace and cross the finish line and these ladies who were apparently taken off of the couse still had their medals.

Mad Stitch

Just wondering why did people who DNC/DNF according to their tracking tags still get medals? Is that common for all races or just Disney races? I ended up a 15:55 pace but I know someone who was running and their finish pace was 17 minutes. They still got their medal but I was under the impression that if you didn't maintain the 16 min/mile you weren't eligible for the medal. I don't want to be offensive to those that didn't make the 16 min/mile pace but I know we all worked hard to get the race pace we did and I'm so happy I have a time to submit to other races now. I'm also just trying to prepare myself for any other race I may try in the near future.

I don't know about other races, but it's common for Disney races. I'm sure Disney doesn't want to ruin anyone's experience/vacation; so pay the entry fee, show up, and the medal is yours basically. I'm with you though, you should be required to finish the race within the allotted time before you get a medal.

Mad Stitch

Are you sure about that? There is a girl who made a YouTube video for the 2011 WDW Half Marathon who admits she was swept and she still got a medal.

wilkeliza

I don't know about other races, but it's common for Disney races. I'm sure Disney doesn't want to ruin anyone's experience/vacation; so pay the entry fee, show up, and the medal is yours basically. I'm with you though, you should be required to finish the race within the allotted time before you get a medal.

Just read all the reports that it is practice at Disney and at Rock n Roll it is even worse. Seems practice for Rock n Roll if you are swept off the course they drive you with in a few hundred yards of the finish line and let you walk across to get the medal. I know our entry fees pay for the medals but if I didn't actually do the 10 miles I wouldn't want the medal. It isn't even about in time or not just simply not finishing and feeling like I deserve the medal is stupid. I didn't earn it so I don't deserve it. Part of what drove me last night was making sure my pace was in 15:30 so that if my GPS was different (btw it was my GPS said we ran 10.4 miles and my pace was 15:05) I would be relatively ok and I was.

Just added that I read that if you are swept they typically don't put your medal around your neck they hand it to you and say you got this for trying. Also you get it for being medically removed.

Mad Stitch

Like I said didn't want to be rude about the situation but I did hear to women in front of me who were talking about being swept but they still had on medals. It made me a little mad because I worked my butt off to keep going through even the hardest times in the race to keep a good pace and cross the finish line and these ladies who were apparently taken off of the couse still had their medals.

In the end, don't worry about what happened to other people. You put in weeks of training for the race, gave it all you had when the race got tough, and finished within the allotted time. So when you look at your medal you can say you truly earned yours. Congratulations.

wilkeliza

In the end, don't worry about what happened to other people. You put in weeks of training for the race, gave it all you had when the race got tough, and finished within the allotted time. So when you look at your medal you can say you truly earned yours. Congratulations.

Thanks. I am focusing on myself from today on and am super proud. I was just wondering because I saw it and was reading on twitter about people bragging about "doing a 10 miler" but saying they would never go over 5K again. I just felt like there was something up when cast members asked me if I actually finished the race before congratulating me.

Well now that this chapter is closed I get to rest (and hopefully my toe will finally heal) and then it is time to train for the Princess Half. I mean it is only 3 more miles.

melflip8

I
I didn't deal well with the heat...we finished in 2:16. I could never breathe decently. Then I started dealing with nipple chafing....something I've never dealt with. I think I was really dehydrated by the time I was done. I was pouring sweat faster than I was replenishing.

It was great meeting everyone, and telling Joel how his words stuck in my head during my last race.

The course was very narrow in places....and didn't seem to be built to handle the middle of the pack coming through.

I also hate Osceola Blvd.

I was dyinggggg. But, finished in 2:25. Saw you guys run by me! Also, could not really fully extend either of my legs today, lol. Some pretty intense soreness behind my knees. :-( Oh well, though! I finished!

It was nice meeting you both!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom