Harry Potter....and it looks amazing

:rolleyes:
No matter how you want to spin it....a Meet and Greet is not an "attraction" in anything but the most basic sense. Any money spent to elevate them to what an average guest would consider an "attraction" would be better spent on an innovative new E-ticket. A real attraction, that would have much more broad appeal to the average guests of all ages.
The majority of teenagers want roller coaster toss you around type thrills. Adults such as ourselves realize theres more to attractions than just thrill factor u need themeing and detail to go along with it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Considering that each of these "Meet and Greet" areas is going to be at least a twenty min. "show" pertaining to the story of each (Celebrating Aurora's Birthday, Enacting Beauty and the Beast for Belle, Princess/Knight training with Cinderella) as opposed to walking up and just having a few choice words with the character and getting a picture/autograph then leaving, I am willing to "stretch" it and call those attractions.

They certainly are attractions. I think people who may not be familiar with some of the WDW meet and greets would be surprised at how popular they are and how long people will queue for. On a daily basis Character Spot, Judges Tent have a consistent hour+ wait. The meet and greets at Star Wars Weekends are typically around an hour. Guests love them, and they are a huge part of the experience for many.

The new next gen meet and greet attractions will certainly be a massive draw for a lot of people. They should not be dismissed by those who don't happen to visit them. It's about time this area was given the true quality it deserves. This isn't to say i wouldn't like to see a big E Ticket elsewhere, but I can fully accept the M&Gs will be very popular and hopefully very impressive.

EpcotServo

Spoiler Time: Here's the first POVBMPOH (Point of View But Mostly Point of Audio)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8KHb2yIiuY&feature=channel

There's no getting around it, from someone who would try- It's a powerhouse ride. Like Tower, Everest, Spiderman, ROTM, Indy, and MIB- This ride will be a major attraction for years to come, and will forever be associated with greatness. This is the new E-Ticket, better get used to seeing it in The League of Gentlemanly Queues. (Indy, Tower, Everest, Spiderman, ROTM, MIB, Midway Mania, and FJ.)

They solve attraction murders, like Countdown to Extinction and the intriguing murder mystery surrounding ROTM's past, as well as be classy and hang around the Lounge of Amazing Attractions drinking fine brandy.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The new next gen meet and greet attractions will certainly be a massive draw for a lot of people. They should not be dismissed by those who don't happen to visit them. It's about time this area was given the true quality it deserves. This isn't to say i wouldn't like to see a big E Ticket elsewhere, but I can fully accept the M&Gs will be very popular and hopefully very impressive.
I absolutely agree. What I don`t agree with is so much money being spent to reclaim land, lay utilities, expand the MK services, plan beautiful landscaping and a picture perfect environment and then not spend at least as much money on one - or more - attractions worthy of such a project. Make the M&Gs as elaborate as possible. Just also add some actual attractions of the same calibre.

floridabill

I agree with the original poster, I think Potterland's theming and detail is quite amazing. I think Universal should be proud of what they accomplished.

I think this IS a wake up call, but it isn't for Disney.

Given the way Universal's attendance has plummeted over the last several years this seems to be more of a last ditch effort on Universal's part to stop the hemorrhaging than to really try to compete with Disney. Maybe they've finally figured out that unless they market to the entire family and not just thrill ride lovers they'll never survive.

The only question in my mind is will Harry Potter be enough to turn things completely around, and can Universal sustain that popularity, or will it be as quickly forgotten as their last few new additions once Disney starts promoting their next big thing?

Yea who really knows? oh yea no one I think we are all getting ahead of ourselves here. We won't know until it happens, but universal has had a terrible year! and they probably just want to break even, and they incurred alot of debt with building this land and having attendance drops, disney probably want's to manage there money better and not be in debt. though cuts are unacceptable! I'm sure they have dozens of rides on the table and when they see fit they will pump a ride where ever is needed.

TalkingHead

Considering that each of these "Meet and Greet" areas is going to be at least a twenty min. "show" pertaining to the story of each (Celebrating Aurora's Birthday, Enacting Beauty and the Beast for Belle, Princess/Knight training with Cinderella) as opposed to walking up and just having a few choice words with the character and getting a picture/autograph then leaving, I am willing to "stretch" it and call those attractions.

I have my crayons ready to go! I can't wait to color with Aurora!!!

Spoiler Time: Here's the first POVBMPOH (Point of View But Mostly Point of Audio)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8KHb2yIiuY&feature=channel

There's no getting around it, from someone who would try- It's a powerhouse ride. Like Tower, Everest, Spiderman, ROTM, Indy, and MIB- This ride will be a major attraction for years to come, and will forever be associated with greatness. This is the new E-Ticket, better get used to seeing it in The League of Gentlemanly Queues. (Indy, Tower, Everest, Spiderman, ROTM, MIB, Midway Mania, and FJ.)

They solve attraction murders, like Countdown to Extinction and the intriguing murder mystery surrounding ROTM's past, as well as be classy and hang around the Lounge of Amazing Attractions drinking fine brandy.
Wow those giant animatronics are right up in your face and very life like.

misterID

A few notes:

Meet and Greets are not attractions. If you want to call them a show, okay, but that's stretching it.

WDW will always have better attendance than UNI just because WDW is much more family friendly and is MUCH more diverse in attractions than any park in Florida and has way more to offer.

UNI can hurt disney by pulling away vacation days from people visiting WDW, which from what I'm hearing is happening. That's what people are not understanding.

No, I don't buy the logic that Harry Potter will not only NOT bring in a lot of attendance to UNI but bring in MORE to WDW. Just not happening.

Raven, DL is getting FAR, FAR, FAR more love than WDW. Paris is also getting expansion. And it has everything to do with TDO of why WDW is stale. The only reason we're getting any additions is because they're all clones from DL. And TSM is not an E. You can't base that only on the length and wait times of lines... Otherwise Peter Pan would be an E.

Disney needs to be given a black eye if HP is as good as they say. If it is it will be good for all Disney fans in the end. I don't see why giving credit to a cool attraction is so horrible.

darthspielberg

Man, based on what I could see in that video, that looks like a hell of a fun ride. How I wish I lived in Orlando, because I'd be all over that.

The only thing I dislike about the Potter area is Dueling Dragons/Dragon's Challenge. Besides the Queue, nothing looks different, not even the cars, and that just feels lazy to me. At least Flight of the Hippogriff redesigned everything.

Why the need for sarcasm? It`s obviously a smuggled cellphone video. As we always say don`t judge a soft opening by a web video.
Yeah you cant really judge the ride because you can barely see whats going on for the majority of the time. Its an attraction you got to experience first hand.

Computer Magic

A few notes:

Meet and Greets are not attractions. If you want to call them a show, okay, but that's stretching it.

WDW will always have better attendance than UNI just because WDW is much more family friendly and is MUCH more diverse in attractions than any park in Florida and has way more to offer.

UNI can hurt disney by pulling away vacation days from people visiting WDW, which from what I'm hearing is happening. That's what people are not understanding.

No, I don't buy the logic that Harry Potter will not only NOT bring in a lot of attendance to UNI but bring in MORE to WDW. Just not happening.

Raven, DL is getting FAR, FAR, FAR more love than WDW. Paris is also getting expansion. And it has everything to do with TDO of why WDW is stale. The only reason we're getting any additions is because they're all clones from DL. And TSM is not an E. You can't base that only on the length and wait times of lines... Otherwise Peter Pan would be an E.

Disney needs to be given a black eye if HP is as good as they say. If it is it will be good for all Disney fans in the end. I don't see why giving credit to a cool attraction is so horrible.
WOW, I totally agree with every part of this post.

I like the idea someone stated of the M&G starting before a D or E ticket. So the Meet and Greet would be a pre show to the actual ride. That would eat up a lot of guest and make everyone happy. Even me who as an adult who feels funny standing in line for the princess. Although Jasmine is HOTT.

A few notes:

Even if WDW is given a black eye do you really expect TDO to do anything?

Lee

Adventurer
What I don`t agree with is so much money being spent to reclaim land, lay utilities, expand the MK services, plan beautiful landscaping and a picture perfect environment and then not spend at least as much money on one - or more - attractions worthy of such a project.
Yes.
Exactly.:sohappy:

How do you think we got MGM?
I understand that , but that was back in the 80s when things were ran a lot different then present day. It was built in response to the proposition of Universal Studios. But this is just one section of a park were talking about here. Its going to have to take a huge chunk out of the attendance on property before they even bat an eye.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I absolutely agree. What I don`t agree with is so much money being spent to reclaim land, lay utilities, expand the MK services, plan beautiful landscaping and a picture perfect environment and then not spend at least as much money on one - or more - attractions worthy of such a project. Make the M&Gs as elaborate as possible. Just also add some actual attractions of the same calibre.

I'm still holding out that Mermaid will be of the same calibre. :)

Either way, the ultimate answer would be that the $400 - $500 million for this area is as far as they are prepared to go right now. Nothing any of us can do about that.

Computer Magic

I understand that , but that was back in the 80s when things were ran a lot different then present day. It was built in response to the proposition of Universal Studios. But this is just one section of a park were talking about here. Its going to have to take a huge chunk out of the attendance on property before they even bat an eye.
You are correct, I thought about adding, times have changed in my orginial post. At the same time, there was no reason for Disney to invest. The real issue with times has changed, goes back Disney quailty over the past years. The days of branding Disney with quality is over. Now it's just do a little better than the next guy. Disney is setting on its past name sake until forced to change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom