Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Disneyfan1981

They only really will fit into DHS as a whole but certain characters will easily fit into certain lands, The Black Panther is originated in Africa, The Alpha Flight Members or even Wolverine in Canada, etc, etc. Can you imagine Namor in The Seas? Or even Innovations hosted by Reed Richards and/or Tony Stark?

Marvel already does a lot of the kids Superhero washed down things so it won't be that much of a stretch.

I don't see them touching IOA's Super Hero Island though, can you imagine, every time people go to Universal, Universal has to pay fees and licensing from merchandise or even character use to Disney? Its perfect because if IOA is doing well a cut goes straight to the Mouse. I would just imagine that you'll see them at both parks, hence lessening the appeal of IOA's specific attractions....

Animaniac93-98

When I worked at the Disney Store I would get multiple requests about whether or not we carried Spider-Man underwear. I guess I can say we'll have it soon.

I honestly did not see this one coming, and frankly the last thing I want to see in WDW is Marvel characters wondering around. Power Rangers are bad enough to begin with.

Captain Hank

From a smart business standpoint it would not make sense to allow your direct theme park competition to continue to use your characters so I would be surprised if the contract with Universal gets renewed. Though I think they might want to re-theme the Hulk. That being said I don't understand Disney's real need for Marvel in the first place. Sometimes I think Disney is too big for it's own good.
I suppose it would depend on how much Universal is willing to pay in licensing fees to retain the use of the characters, though.

Ausdaddy

...the Marvel shareholders. I'm sure Disney's stock will invariably take a hit from this (not as if this a bad thing in the long term; the stock of the acquiror almost always takes a hit in stock-sale acquisitions). All-in-all, though, it sounds like a great long term move for Disney. Let's just hope the best days for the superhero film franchises are not behind them.

Yeah, should have specified that. Bad dilution for Disney shareholders, but nice deal for the Marvel folks.

retroeric

I assume nothing will happen to the Island as that deal is done, however I don't know all the contract terms. The may be a renewal at some point, or some continued license fee that Uni pays. Either way though, I think Uni is safe, but I suppose Disney could also develop future Marvel attractions.
Overall though, studios make deals, WB owns Potter and CBS owns Twilight Zone.

very true, but I can't see Universal wanting to have an entire land essentially advertising a direct competitor's product.

WDWFigment

From a smart business standpoint it would not make sense to allow your direct theme park competition to continue to use your characters so I would be surprised if the contract with Universal gets renewed. Though I think they might want to re-theme the Hulk. That being said I don't understand Disney's real need for Marvel in the first place. Sometimes I think Disney is too big for it's own good.

Certainly Disney treads a dangerously close line to dis-economies of scale given its size, but I think this is a very positive move. Not only does it instantly make Walt Disney Pictures one of the top live-action film studios (what would have become of it after PotC has run its course? This also assumes Disney won't develop an entirely new label for the Marvel films, which it very well may) but it also puts significant pressure on Universal's theme park division after the conclusion of those contracts (and for what it's worth, I don't think this will result in existing attractions being changed at Universal, even at the conclusion of it's current contract. It just likely will prevent development of future Marvel franchises and put Universal in the precarious position of advertising a competitor's product). Benefit itself and put the screws on a direct competitor? I think that's fairly sound.

danv3

Meh...I'm not a huge fan of comic book characters. Let's hope Disney doesn't overdo this. We don't need a marvel character in every part of every park. Maybe a dedicated area in the studios.

This might be another one of Iger's ways to change and improve Disney's creative culture that deteriorated over the last couple of years. This was the same reason why Iger acquired Pixar (i.e. to bring Pixar's creative magic and team into Disney)

bgraham34

Well I think this is good news. But the characters need to stay out of MK, Epcot and AK. The studios is a fine place for them or more like a separate area in the Studios for them. The old backlot area maybe!

ParkHopper128

This might be another one of Iger's ways to change and improve Disney's creative culture that deteriorated over the last couple of years. This was the same reason why Iger acquired Pixar (i.e. to bring Pixar's creative magic and team into Disney)

Pixar had John Lassiter a Disney Guy, a Disney thealogian.

This Spider Man / Hulk / Iron Man may be a financial fit for Disney but it is a philisophical nightmare.

SoupBone

I don't want Marvel in my Disney parks!

and I LOVE the Marvel characters.

I disagree. I love both Marvel and Disney. The won't put them in Epcot and I'm hoping they won't put them in the MK but MGM would be fine with me. Matter of fact MGM seems like the perfect place since they already have movie characters attached to the theming. :sohappy:

djkidkaz

I think we may need to get a petition going to let Disney know we don't want comic book characters in the disney parks!! I do not want to see a single superhero in any of my parks!!

DisneyMusician2

It's a great acquisition for no other reason than it gives a shot in the arm to the live action studio.

And as some have already said, it really does stick it to Universal.:)

Which I'm sure was on Iger's mind when he made the transaction.

IronMan was a great box office success. With many sequels and other movies rumored to be in development, this was a great time to make this move.

DisneyMusician2

I think we may need to get a petition going to let Disney know we don't want comic book characters in the disney parks!! I do not want to see a single superhero in any of my parks!!

Why not? Superheroes are some of the ultimate in fantasy over the years, and have just as much of a history and following as many of the classic Disney characters we hold so dear. As long as they don't overdo it, it seems like the right move.

Mouse Man

I think if they would expand DHS and move Marvel Hero's there would be great. I feel Disney is setting itself up for a major counter to Universal's Harry Potter. Give them time and I feel we are going to see something cool come out of this for us to enjoy and love. Now the Marvel Super Hero's only fits in DHS, It would be out of place to even try and fit these characters into DAK, MK or EPCOT. I also see the screws being placed on Universal when the Lisence rites expire. The rides and themeing could really be mind blowing if the Disney Imagineers are allowed to put their creavtive minds to work.

Foolish1

As has been said, Marvel has contracts with many other entertainment companies. Spider-Man is contracted to Sony for the foreseeable future for films, many of the characters are contracted to Universal for theme parks, Iron Man is contracted to Paramount for films, etc. Disney can do what it wants after the contracts expire, but nothing until they do expire. So for now, Universal will be paying Disney for the remainder of the contract. Of course, both sides can negotiate to end the contract sooner if it is mutually agreed upon.

I have to say, I both like and hate this deal. There are numerous companies I kind of expected Disney to eventually gobble up, but this was NOT one of them. I had kind of expected Paramount, Sony or even more unlikely Universal, to have bought out Marvel before Disney did.

Maybe Iger figured that with Marvel being on the upswing lately, the deal would pay for itself in only a few years. I know Disney has been all about content, content, content for a number of years. This certainly gives them a sizable increase in content suddenly.

This may have a connection to a rumor I have heard. Rumor basically states that Disney wants to increase it's number of cable/satellite channels it owns. But in order to do that, it needs more content to feed them.

I would also think that with this deal and the comics Disney already publishes, this will make Disney the largest publisher of comic books.

Certainly there are a number of ways to spin this deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom