Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

ParkHopper128

Why not? Superheroes are some of the ultimate in fantasy over the years, and have just as much of a history and following as many of the classic Disney characters we hold so dear. As long as they don't overdo it, it seems like the right move.

ON the balance sheet FINE !!!!!

Keep them out of MY parks !!!!!!!!!!

WDWFREAK53

And...the answer to the hottest question going right now...

"What will Disney do to compete with Harry Potter?"

"Buy Marvel and force them to close down their current biggest draw" LOL

GothMickey

I think we may need to get a petition going to let Disney know we don't want comic book characters in the disney parks!! I do not want to see a single superhero in any of my parks!!

How would you feel if there was an Incredibles ride coming to Disney's parks? Yep, they are superheroes. Want to petition to keep them out of the parks too?

Foolish1

Certainly Disney treads a dangerously close line to dis-economies of scale given its size, but I think this is a very positive move. Not only does it instantly make Walt Disney Pictures one of the top live-action film studios (what would have become of it after PotC has run its course? This also assumes Disney won't develop an entirely new label for the Marvel films, which it very well may) but it also puts significant pressure on Universal's theme park division after the conclusion of those contracts (and for what it's worth, I don't think this will result in existing attractions being changed at Universal, even at the conclusion of it's current contract. It just likely will prevent development of future Marvel franchises and put Universal in the precarious position of advertising a competitor's product). Benefit itself and put the screws on a direct competitor? I think that's fairly sound.

There is another possibility here. What if Disney never was interested in the theme park aspect? They could let Universal continue to license the characters as long as they like, and continue to generate revenue, which costs Disney basically nothing to continue. They could continue for years until they figure out what they want to do. Assuming Universal doesn't mind shipping licensing fees down I-4, that is.

HMF

The Black Panther is originated in Africa, The Alpha Flight Members or even Wolverine in Canada, etc, etc. Can you imagine Namor in The Seas? Or even Innovations hosted by Reed Richards and/or Tony Stark?
Keep them out of Epcot' Please!:dazzle:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I don't see them touching IOA's Super Hero Island though, can you imagine, every time people go to Universal, Universal has to pay fees and licensing from merchandise or even character use to Disney? Its perfect because if IOA is doing well a cut goes straight to the Mouse. I would just imagine that you'll see them at both parks, hence lessening the appeal of IOA's specific attractions....
I'm sure Disney will make them an offer they can't refuse...
Seriously, though, if they make IOA close down the S-M ride before I get to ride it, I'll be seriously peeved. Also, I'd hope that Disney would come up with a less-affiliated sounded brand for their Marvel rights. It seems that if they put out a Marvel book, it would have to be tamed down a bit to be "Disney."
Meanwhile, in DC land, Batman and Superman and drinking themselves into a drunken stupor because no one wants to buy THEIR rights...

NCWDWFAN

It is weird to think about superheroes in the theme parks but, this now gives The Mouse a real draw for the Teen/20's crowd. I think this could be the shot in the arm that DHS truly needs. Now it could compete with Universal in that department. I guess we will see where this one goes....

dznygirl64

I personally think this is a good move for Disney.I think they could do some great things with this.Also why not renew a contract license with NBC Universal theme parks,Disney could make $$$ from the license and merch.Win Win for Disney.So now they have a deal with Dreamworks and Marvel wow! :sohappy:

DocMcHulk

Though I think they might want to re-theme the Hulk.
I am going to take that idea and extrapolate this out. We were all talking about all the money Universal is pumping into Harry Potter and how will Disney respond. The Fantisyland expansion could be seen as part of the push back.

But take this into consideration... when the Marvel contracts expire... Universal is going to have to spend a lot of money retheming rides.

HMF

I'm sure Disney will make them an offer they can't refuse...
Seriously, though, if they make IOA close down the S-M ride before I get to ride it, I'll be seriously peeved. Also, I'd hope that Disney would come up with a less-affiliated sounded brand for their Marvel rights. It seems that if they put out a Marvel book, it would have to be tamed down a bit to be "Disney."
Meanwhile, in DC land, Batman and Superman and drinking themselves into a drunken stupor because no one wants to buy THEIR rights...
Would it be possible for Disney to move the Spider-Man ride to DHS?

ddrongowski

With this breaking news, I have some thoughts.

First off "the deal is not yet sealed", the marvel share holders still have to vote on it. But more than likely the deal will go thru.

Now as far as where characters should go, I am of the opinion that Disney should use some of there unused property in Florida, and build a park that is Marvel themed. I really like the Disney parks, but as my child gets older, he is looking for more "thills". They need to build up the high G coasters, etc.. in this new park. As many of you here have seen, bigger coasters like Expedition Evererst do have a place in Disney, and are highly enjoyed.

Well that is my two cents.

Atomicmickey

I can see them in the studios.

I can see them in their own park.

But no, no, no in AK, Epcot or MK.

Hopefully wise minds will prevail!

Wow, Universal folks must be scrambling around like chickens with
their heads cut off this morning . . . .

Next up, Disney buys JK Rowling, lol.:lol:

lightboy

Cheap shot. Below the belt. NO ONE can truthfully say this decision had anything to do with a rival theme park in the area. If it looks like competition is finally within sight, starting shooting, right? Ugh.

I fear the they made a horrible mistake. There is some insane happenings going on in the upper rank. I mean, who suggests things like this?

And we risk Disney ruining the Marvel brand as so many other Disney brands have been cheaply ruined as of late.

trr1

yep just heard this as well. First thought- what happens with IOA's Marvel Super Hero Island??

guess what park has to pay disney for using marvel comics:sohappy:

Disney to acquire Marvel for $4 billion
08/31/2009 6:10:10 AM

The Walt Disney Co. says it is acquiring Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man into the Disney family.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters.

Disney said Monday that Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own.

It said the boards of Disney and Marvel have both approved the transaction, but it requires an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

DocMcHulk

I think if they would expand DHS and move Marvel Hero's there would be great.
I am curious how this acquisition impacts the "master plan" for DHS. We've all heard rumors and rumblings from insiders that there is a bigger plan at play for DHS that we havent seen yet, but to me.. this changes the game potentially.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom