BLT is fantastic!

Disneykidder

We have been pricing them and it is actually cheaper to buy a new dvc rather than a resale due to the amount of years you will be able to use them and annual dues.

I understand MissyM about the points I was just telling you other options. :)

carolina_yankee

I missed the renting part. I had a DVC CM in Epcot on Saturday very rudely tell me I was stupid for paying cash so I suppose I still had that on the brain. The 40% off pin code though made it remarkably affordable and certainly a much better deal than a $40K investment! :lol:

If you were able to get a 1 BR for 40% off, that's indeed awesome. The DVC Member cash discount on a DVC unit is 25% off. I've book a studio cash stay at SSR for $169 on an AP discount - that's less than the DVC member discount, too.

If you're into 1 BRs, DVC is certainly a much more expensive purchase, and BLT is going to be the most expensive for a one week stay at WDW. However, studios work well for us. We bought 160 points at $83, and are on our 5th stay. We financed, but I figure 2 more stays and we break even - and that's comparing a DVC purchase to comparable stays at a moderate resort without AP discount.

We don't have children and are in our 40s - so a resale purchase would be our add-on method if we ever do that. The length of contract just doesn't matter in our case - unless they start a DVC assisted-living tower where the South Wing of the Contemporary is. :)

Dirk

TomHendricks

Yes, that initial investment seams a lot, but what you are failing to realize is that you get 50 years of vacations for that amount. Using your numbers, if it is 350 points to get a 1br for a week, in the 50th year it still will be 350 points. Plus you can use your points at other places then here.

Bay Lake Tower.
1 week at 1 bedroom = 350 points
350 points @ $112/point = $39,200

It's why I'd never in a million years do DVC. That's a major down payment on a house in my world. I rather go as for a weekend for less than $300. :animwink:

luvlifeinfl

I thought the term of the contract was only 40yrs not 50.

For us I look at it this way I am locking in at the current economy rate for accomidations for future vacations.

TomHendricks

It maybe 40 now, when we got in it was 50. Still at 40 years, still a great value. However I agree with her that having a house first is way more important.

For us I look at it this way I am locking in at the current economy rate for accomidations for future vacations.

CariBear

Thanks for the great pictures!!

I have rented points from several different DVC members over the past couple of years. Luckily, all of my transactions with these members have been wonderful! I have rented points for as little as $5 per point when a members points were about to expire...and since I live locally I can go at the last minute. Other times I have paid around $8pp. My favorite right now is AKV, but I have also enjoyed BCV and BWV. I might have to add BLT to my list soon!!

DisneyPhD

Starting with SSR, all new resorts have been given a 50 year contract so SSR contracts end in 2054, AKV in 2057, VGC and BLT in 2060. All others end in 2042 (except for some OKW owners who paid to be extended to 2057).

schewy

I hope you had a great time. I am staying in November and can hardly sleep at night because of the wait. How was the rain shower? I am looking forward to this and hope it is as enjoyable as it sounds.

TomHendricks

I showed my wife your pictures last night and we had a pretty long discussion, were going to buy into BLT. We have 360 points at SS and we use them often, but SS is so large and out of the way. We were at WDL for a conference last year at the Contemporary and we loved the proximity to MK and that we could walk.

Disneykidder

Question for everyone---how many points does everyone have? Just curious. We are currently purchasing 200 points. Thoughts? We are a family of 4.

slappy magoo

Question for everyone---how many points does everyone have? Just curious. We are currently purchasing 200 points. Thoughts? We are a family of 4.

That's a thread topic that pops up from time to time, and IMO is probably better as a separate topic. Not that I'm slagging on you for asking - you'll just probably get more responses with a thread titled "How many points you got?" or some such.

And to prove I'm not slagging on you - 175.

slappy magoo

Which is why it's just a middle value of high and low. I booked a 1-bedroom for my cash stay which is why I used that room type to compare cash versus points cost.

It may work for some people but for me, under $300 is a much better value than $30-40K. That was all I was saying.

Well, sure, FOR ONE NIGHT. :ROFLOL:

Yanks07

You should be fine if you stick with Studios. We bring my nephews with us everywhere we go, so we are 8 and go for the 2 bedrooms which usually uses up all of our 400 pts for a week stay.

dvcnut39

Mike, you're living my dream. Please keep posting these great photos. Thanks for making me jealous. DW is holding out for DVC Hawaii. I would love to add-on at BLT. I keep telling her "What's wrong with another small contract?" She's not falling for it.

p.s. We have two contracts- 175pts and 50pts- both at BCV.

SMRT-1Michael

We bought 310 points at BoardWalk in '97 and just bought 200 for Bay Lake Tower in Dec. '08 for a total of 510 points. We finally paid our BW points off about a year ago. All we have left is BLT. We are also a family of four that go to WDW about 4x per year so the amount we have is good for us. We always get a one bedroom so our point amounts always let us do it.

disneynut4u

Anyone staying in a 2BR with MK view, would you please post some pics for me? That's what we have reserved for April and I'm dying to see the what you thought about the views (high enough to see MK or just trees in the lot?)

dizzney

We're a family of 5, bought 220 points in 1999 in BWV as thats what worked then, increased to 250, then 275 in BWV, and just added 100 at BLT for a total of 375.

In our thinking, we usually get a one or two bedroom depending on time of eyar, who's going and what we want to do. 275 has served us very well at the BWV, and with the 100 at BLT, we think we may bank and use 200 points alternate years instead of the 100, DVC is so flexible and once you figure out how to handle, its so easy to vacation.

Last year we were at the BWV for Presidents week and then spent four nights at the Grand Californian in DL on points with a park view room, we juggle, bank/borrow the points and it all works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom