Any News on a Replacement for Wonders of Life?

Which of the following changes should be made first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jasonflz

Here's some things that would be nice.
-SGE removal & replacement
-bring Indiana Jones Adventure to WDW
-Jiyi v.4
-updated Soarin' film
-Little Mermaid dark ride
-Pixar Place additions
-updated RNRC
- WoL getting big update
-new UoE film
-finished SSE descent
-Sounds Dangerous removal & replacement
-Star Tours 2.0
-DAK expansion (Mysterious Island)
-Fantasyland expansion/refurb
-Toontown Remodel
-Muppet's Studios
-World Showcase additions
-Great Movie Ride update
-New Film for Magic Eye Theatre (replacing HISTA)
-CoP updated end scene
-IASW update
-Beauty and the Beast dark ride
-Seven Dwarfs Mine Cart ride
-Peter Pan's Flight refurb
-Backlot Tour update

Any more ideas? I will add them onto the list.

Jasonflz

Ah, I have another one (I am just filled with new ideas today...)

Update for the Backlot Tour (I know it was refurbished recently, but I'm talking a big update, especially of the pre-show, which feels really dated now.

Armageddon lost it's appeal a while back. Same with Pearl Harbor.

Jasonflz

Well as long as the new version of 20,000 Leagues is different from the old and kinda dull original version, that would be a welcome addition, especially since they are remaking the movie. I've heard the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride was really cool.

It is a dark ride. Let me find a video.

Exprcoofto

Cranium Command probably won't open.
Unfortunately Body War's simulator's have been taken out. (at least I think they have)

I thought I heard the Body Probs were being used for testing 3D simulator rides. Unless I'm dreaming this (don't know for sure). :ROFLOL:

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Ok, here's my feeling on all of these:

-SGE removal & replacement - I can see that happening in not too long. Especially since they are building that new show starring Stitch.
-bring Indiana Jones Adventure to WDW - I'd love to see it, because I've watched the whole thing on YouTube and it looks amazing, but if it hasn't happened yet, I doubt it will. If it were to somehow come to pass, I'd figure it would fit best in Adventureland or at Hollywood Studios.
-Jiyi v.4 - It could really use a new version. The last few times I've been to Epcot it always had no line. Obviously something is not right...
-updated Soarin' film - I really wish they would do one for Florida, but the fact is Florida isn't nearly as broad as California is. I don't see this happening, but I still hope it does.
-Little Mermaid dark ride - I have a good feeling this will happen pretty soon.
-Pixar Place additions - The made a whole land around Toy Story Mania. Obviously they have some plans to add on to it.
-updated RNRC - I hope not. I think it's fine the way it is and doesn't need to be changed. Besides, Aerosmith is awesome!!!
- WoL getting big update - I'm thinking demolition is more likely
-new UoE film - I'd like to see this happen, since the current one feels really dated now, but I doubt it will anytime soon
-finished SSE descent - As much as I'd like to see this happen, it's most likely as done as it's going to get.
-Sounds Dangerous removal & replacement - That show sucked, so this needs to happen.
-Star Tours 2.0 - It's looking more and more like this isn't too far off...
-DAK expansion (Mysterious Island) - I'd really like to see this happen (crosses fingers)
-Fantasyland expansion/refurb - I think the most likely senario is that Fantasyland will be expanded by possably demolishing Toontown. That would be one way to create lots more room.
-Toontown Remodel - Maybe. It needs something since it's a pretty pointless land at the moment.
-Muppet's Studios - Not sure this will happen, but it would be interesting. Puppets are rad.
-World Showcase additions - There are so many rumors about attractions that were canned that were suppose to appear in the World Showcase, including two different clones of The Matterhorn, one for Japan and one for Switzerland. I also heard that there was a water ride planned for Germany, where a building and enterence were built and still stand, but the ride never was built inside.
-Great Movie Ride update - This needs to happen, especially since they are trying to move away from the MGM licence
-New Film for Magic Eye Theatre (replacing HISTA) - I am a bit shocked that HISTA has lasted as long as it has. It is really dated now and needs to go. I seriously doubt youngsters these days even know about the film that show was based on.
-CoP updated end scene - I'd like to see an overhaul of it using characters from Meet The Robinsons. That would make a ton of sence, and yes, the future segment badly needs to be updated.
-IASW update - They reciently redid it using Disney and Pixar characters. I'd like to see this done in FL too.
-Beauty and the Beast dark ride - I could see this being a big hit if it happens.
-Seven Dwarfs Mine Cart ride - This would be an easy way to keep Snow White around and bring a kiddy thrill ride to Fantasyland.
-Peter Pan's Flight refurb - I'm not really sure what needs refurbing, but ok...
-Backlot Tour update - I'd really like to see this updated and made more modern.

Wow, that took a lot longer than I thought it would...

Jasonflz

I really disagree with you on CoP. It is Walt's classic attraction and, believe it or not, is still popular today. (although there is occasionally a short line)
No one will remember or care about Meet the Robinson's in the near future.

Jasonflz

Originally the Italy pavilion was going to get a water ride. Unfortunately it got scrapped along with Africa.
Let me post some information out of the 1982 EPCOT souvenir book. It has a whole page on Africa along with some concept art.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally the Italy pavilion was going to get a water ride. Unfortunately it got scrapped along with Africa.
Let me post some information out of the 1982 EPCOT souvenir book. It has a whole page on Africa along with some concept art.
Denmark was also to have had a water ride (as well as Germanys) - v2 of Africa was to have had a rapids ride.

WOL as it is still stay as it is for a while. BW is now dormant, other backstage areas are test areas, and last I checked CC was mostly intact but inoperable. TDO and WDI had 3 options for the pavilion. As of now this is the 4th option.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
I really disagree with you on CoP. It is Walt's classic attraction and, believe it or not, is still popular today. (although there is occasionally a short line)
No one will remember or care about Meet the Robinson's in the near future.

I don't think the ride itself should be changed. Maybe just the beginning and end.

I just watched the video for Journey to the Center of the Earth and that looks fantastic. Yey for the Test Track ride system being put to good use... Now to see 20,000 Leagues...

Jasonflz

Sorry for the slow typing.

"There is an ever expanding number of pavilions to be incorporated into the World Showcase complex, some already in the planning stages. Farthest along in concept is the Africa pavilion, unique among World Showcase projects in that it is not devoted to any single country but to all of those in Africa that lie, roughly, across the equatorial belt. The pavilion will offer a comprehensive view of the dark continent. It's architectural motif is a tree house, in which visitors will overlook a jungle water hole in a simulated nighttime enviroment. The illusion of the jungle will be heightened by a remarkably authentic diorama of trees, vines, boulders, and rushing water; even the scents of of the forest will be re-created. These actual objects, sounds, and smells are blended skillfully with a rear projected film of animals visiting the water hole to convince visitors that they are actually in the heart of Africa. One of the pavilion's shows is called "The Heartbeat of Africa". In the pre-show, dedicated to the history of the drum, an African narrator and actual instruments vividly demonstrate it's significance to the African culture. The show itself will trace the history of Equatorial Africa-it's past,present, and future-through the eyes of a traditional griot, or storyteller. The filmed presentation will not be only an engaging entertainment but a learning experience. The show will culminate with an outdoor jazz concert filmed in a modern African city, the excitement building up as superimposed laser images begin to emanate from the instruments themselves. In the heritage area, an African style village that is an amalgam of the styles of various countries and regions will give the visitor a broad general experience of the daily life of the Africans. Authentically traditional performers, in a live demonstration, will present their cultural heritage as the area's entertainment. A musuem is planned to house a permanent exhibit of fine African art, with additional sculptures and paintings occasionally loaned by various African countries. A second show, "Africa Rediscovered" will be a key attraction of the pavilion.. A pre-show area, dominated by a large relief map of the continent, will graphically and entertainingly limn the geography of Africa, it's flora and fauna, climate, and other information of interest. The show, on film, will be hosted by Alex Haley, author of Roots, who has acted as advisor to the pavilion."

It was very close to happening.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Ok yeah Tokyo's 20,000 Leagues was quite cool. I'm not sure that will come over here if they do try to make Mysterious Island at AK, but I wouldn't mind it if it did. I personally think it would be cool if Indiana Jones and Journey To The Center of the Earth were part of the land, but those rides are probably too similar.

Jasonflz

Denmark was also to have had a water ride (as well as Germanys) - v2 of Africa was to have had a rapids ride.

WOL as it is still stay as it is for a while. BW is now dormant, other backstage areas are test areas, and last I checked CC was mostly intact but inoperable. TDO and WDI had 3 options for the pavilion. As of now this is the 4th option.

That's a real shame.:(

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Sorry for the slow typing.

"There is an ever expanding number of pavilions to be incorporated into the World Showcase complex, some already in the planning stages. Farthest along in concept is the Africa pavilion, unique among World Showcase projects in that it is not devoted to any single country but to all of those in Africa that lie, roughly, across the equatorial belt. The pavilion will offer a comprehensive view of the dark continent. It's architectural motif is a tree house, in which visitors will overlook a jungle water hole in a simulated nighttime enviroment. The illusion of the jungle will be heightened by a remarkably authentic diorama of trees, vines, boulders, and rushing water; even the scents of of the forest will be re-created. These actual objects, sounds, and smells are blended skillfully with a rear projected film of animals visiting the water hole to convince visitors that they are actually in the heart of Africa. One of the pavilion's shows is called "The Heartbeat of Africa". In the pre-show, dedicated to the history of the drum, an African narrator and actual instruments vividly demonstrate it's significance to the African culture. The show itself will trace the history of Equatorial Africa-it's past,present, and future-through the eyes of a traditional griot, or storyteller. The filmed presentation will not be only an engaging entertainment but a learning experience. The show will culminate with an outdoor jazz concert filmed in a modern African city, the excitement building up as superimposed laser images begin to emanate from the instruments themselves. In the heritage area, an African style village that is an amalgam of the styles of various countries and regions will give the visitor a broad general experience of the daily life of the Africans. Authentically traditional performers, in a live demonstration, will present their cultural heritage as the area's entertainment. A musuem is planned to house a permanent exhibit of fine African art, with additional sculptures and paintings occasionally loaned by various African countries. A second show, "Africa Rediscovered" will be a key attraction of the pavilion.. A pre-show area, dominated by a large relief map of the continent, will graphically and entertainingly limn the geography of Africa, it's flora and fauna, climate, and other information of interest. The show, on film, will be hosted by Alex Haley, author of Roots, who has acted as advisor to the pavilion."

It was very close to happening.

The other pavilion I heard lots about was a Russian one that was suppose to feature a thrill ride.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Ok, here is the exact text of the rumor I found to back my claim up:

According to the latest entry at Jim Hill Media, “The Russians are Coming!” No… not in a Red Dawn kind of way, but apparently WDI has revived their old plans from Eisner’s Disney Decade (1990-2000) and is looking to build a Russian pavilion once again World Showcase. This makes sense really since way back in the day apparently the Russian Pavilion got to the point where it was fairly far along in the design phase before the collapse of Russia caused the whole project to go with it.
Way back on one of my first visits to Epcot back in 1990 or 1991 I was pulled aside by Disney CMs at Epcot and asked to take part in a focus group on possible new attractions they were considering for the park at the time. It’s kind of funny to think about the ideas they presented to us then and what happened to them all.
Back then they talked about adding some kind of new “Space” themed pavilion to Future World which we know eventually became Mission: Space. A River Rapids ride in the unlabeled African area of World Showcase was discussed, but we know that project ended up being moved into the new Animal Kingdom park project instead. Then they showed off lots of artwork and plans for a Mt. Fuji roller coaster project to go in behind the Japan Pavilion which was the groups favorite idea of all. Of course we how know how this project was kicked around for years, objected to by Kodak, and later revived at Animal Kingdom as Expedition Everest. What they say about Imagineering is definitely true… a good idea is never gone forever but can usually come back when the time is right.
Case in point now would be the Russian pavilion… which was probably just about the only concept they showed us way back then that had yet to resurface… until now. Way back then the idea was to build a big building that would have a similar look to the famous Saint Basil’s Cathedral (which is actually not part of the Kremlin). They had an interesting list of attractions they wanted our opinions on as well that included what sounded like big show on the scale of the American Adventure that would merge filmed footage, projected displays and animatronic figures to retell the history of Russia. There was also some kind of slow moving flume ride concept that would be themed to a classic Russian fairy tale that escapes me, but according to Jim Hill it was to be Ivan and the Magic Pike. For those of you yawning already, there was also a thrill ride concept thrown into the mix as well. This idea proved to be the second most popular attraction idea in our focus group, coming in just behind Mt. Fuji and before the Space Pavilion concept was a thrill ride themed to the Russian Olympic bobsledding team. I don’t even think they had any artwork for it at the time, it was just something being talked about, but our group just loved the idea of a wild bobsled ride.
If the Russian Pavilion idea is coming back, it’s a good time for it. The Russian economy is said to be back on its feet and after spending most of the last decade updating all of Future World, it’s about time to start revamping World Showcase. Of course there is no telling if any of the old ideas will become part of the new pavilion plans or if they have come up with all new ideas instead. Right now we just have to wait and see what develops.

Jasonflz

Ok yeah Tokyo's 20,000 Leagues was quite cool. I'm not sure that will come over here if they do try to make Mysterious Island at AK, but I wouldn't mind it if it did. I personally think it would be cool if Indiana Jones and Journey To The Center of the Earth were part of the land, but those rides are probably too similar.

The attraction Dinosaur uses the same technology as Indiana Jones Adventure and they are in the same park. Not happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom