News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

Phicinfan

A Health Pavilion featuring 2 IPs...Big Hero 6 and Inside Out.
Physical Health and Mental Health...because they do go hand in hand.... There would be more than enough fodder between the two IPs to do an amazing pavilion...Get an insurtance provider to sponsor...or even multiples.
I am sorry, but I agree with the political aspect concern here. Big Hero 6 key phrase is "I am satisfied with my health care" That phrase alone will unfortunately be a HUGE political discussion and rant. Just sayin

Castle Cake Apologist

I am sorry, but I agree with the political aspect concern here. Big Hero 6 key phrase is "I am satisfied with my health care" That phrase alone will unfortunately be a HUGE political discussion and rant. Just sayin

The phrase is simply "I am satisfied with my care," and is not "I am satisfied with my healthcare." Regardless, I'm really struggling to understand how either phrasing would cause somebody pause. Baymax and the IP as a whole are used throughout the resort without issue. To my knowledge, the movie did not cause controversy either.

I think you guys are really grasping at straws here. There's nothing inherently political about healthcare and learning healthy habits. I doubt the pavilion would be delving into the nuances between single-payer and multi-payer coverage.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

1. The phrase is simply "I am satisfied with my care," and is not "I am satisfied with my healthcare." Regardless, I'm really struggling to understand how either phrasing would cause somebody pause.
Because health care in general in the States is a huge issue, and concern, that is why it becomes a political issue for some. Thanks for correcting my statement, you are right in not including Health Care.
2. Baymax and the IP as a whole are used throughout the resort without issue. To my knowledge, the movie did not cause controversy either.
Nor is it an IP based ride or attraction at Disney right now. Not saying it would be a huge issue, but I could see some concerns raised.
I think you guys are really grasping at straws here. There's nothing inherently political about healthcare and learning healthy habits. I doubt the pavilion would be delving into the nuances between single-payer and multi-payer coverage.
This is just wrong. To say healthcare is NOT a political issue is naive. It is a political issue and accessibility to good health care at reasonable prices has always been a hot bed issue. I agree, you could design things to avoid those issues, but there are always those who want to pick a fight.

ToTBellHop

Everything we need is in Mean Girls (2004).

1709300571538.gif

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The backlash against Habit Heroes would imply otherwise. I am not sure how anyone who has lived through the past few years can think for a second that health care issues haven't been politized.

DreamfinderGuy

The backlash against Habit Heroes would imply otherwise. I am not sure how anyone who has lived through the past few years can think for a second that health care issues haven't been politized.
The message behind Habit Heroes was to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Wonders’ marquee attractions were a ride where you shrink and zip through the body and a show about the day in the life of a kid that had an underlying message of “Mental health is important”.

Wonders absolutely had elements that would get a Habit Heroes level backlash, but the core of it all is still golden. Body Wars and Cranium Command’s primary focus were not “Here’s what you should do with your body”, but rather “This is how your body works”. Hell, you could lean even further into Cranium Command’s mental health message as this is something that speaks to a younger audience now.

Bocabear

Mental Health has become a huge issue lately too...So perhaps having an attraction that had something to do with Menatal Health could actually be a good thing... Which would be the "inside Out" tie in... Baymax would not be political at all either... Everything in the world can inspire false outrage... if we were gong to avoid anything that could be taken the wrong way or offensive, we would have a completely unthemed 6 Flags park with a 32 page disclaimer form to fill out upon arrival... Taking care of yourself, knowing how the body works, knowing how our emotions work...none of these things are political at all....though everything can be politicised.... I don't think that is a real issue.

V_L_Raptor

I don't know that Habit Heroes was about politics so much as it was about taking an entirely ignorant perspective on fitness itself and giving it some real estate in Innoventions. There are plenty of people out there who are happy to forego any kind of detail or thoughtful analysis before heading to the drawing board in favor of crapping something out to get visitors, never mind the consequences.

That wasn't politics. It was cruel stupidity.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
everything is politics and outrage nowadays. I mean, they put Princess Tiana in a log flume and look how this board reacted lol
Similarly the recent Baymax Disney+ series was faced with enough backlash for being "political" that the NYPost reported on it. Specifically the IP being discussed here for Wonders has this issue

Not saying that Wonders couldn't work today, it absolutely could. But let's not pretend that basic Health science isn't something a decent sized portion of this country considers political and controversial. Just look at how many cast members have stories of being yelled at about mask rules during the pandemic. Disney would have to be pretty careful in how they approach it OR they'd have to be ok with the likelihood of the NYPost writing articles about it being political

Last edited:

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Body Wars and Cranium Command could definitely still work today
Only if they show the volunteer in the main show (and have him be voiced by Steven Blum.)

Did they not want to show the volunteer in the original because they were afraid political people would get into a hissyfit? If it were a slim and curved woman, then I can understand. Steven's character in this new version would be an average young adult. He's basically 18 year old Hector Cruz from Ozzy & Drix. But his body isn't personified. And for the sake of the galaxy, I must date him!

Castle Cake Apologist

Because health care in general in the States is a huge issue, and concern, that is why it becomes a political issue for some. Thanks for correcting my statement, you are right in not including Health Care.

Nor is it an IP based ride or attraction at Disney right now. Not saying it would be a huge issue, but I could see some concerns raised.

This is just wrong. To say healthcare is NOT a political issue is naive. It is a political issue and accessibility to good health care at reasonable prices has always been a hot bed issue. I agree, you could design things to avoid those issues, but there are always those who want to pick a fight.

Again, one could easily design an attraction that teaches about the human body and basic concepts in regards to how to keep it healthy that would not in any way be political. What was political about Body Wars? Sensory Funhouse? The Wonder Cycles? Even something along the lines of Cranium Command would be unlikely to cause much of a stir.

I think most people would agree that keeping yourself as healthy as possible is important. The simple action of learning about the functions of the body and how they interact with overall health can go a long way toward encouraging a person to care about things that they can do, as an individual, to keep everything running smoothly. There's no reason to dive into things like quality access to healthcare, insurance, or really the medical industry at all, which would be the most likely things to cause controversy among the general public.

For what it's worth... before recently pivoting to education, I spent the better part of my adult career working as a community health advocate with a major healthcare company, specifically servicing disadvantaged populations (Medicaid, Medicare, etc.). I assure you, I'm far from naive when it comes to the minefield that this topic can become.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom