News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

LittleBuford

I just see Agrabah as the most generically Arabian pastiche possible. It's a hodgepodge of impossible minarets, onion domes, and horseshoe arches. Not that I'm arguing you're wrong, especially considering that it's contextualized by the story itself, but I'm not sure I'd bother placing most of the architecture geographically considering how much of an amalgam it is.
Yes, it's an amalgam, but certain elements stand out more than others. The minarets are of the fancier Egyptian variety rather than the square towers used in the Maghrib. Agrabah is full of domed buildings, whereas tiled pyramidal roofs, not domes, are the preferred kind of superstructure in Morocco.

"Arabian" (which historically meant "Arab" but today refers to the Arabian Peninsula) is too specific a description of what's going on in Agrabah. Many of its architectural references are Persian (i.e., non-Arab), and there is even, as I noted earlier, a strong Indian influence, particularly in the sultan's palace.

If they wanted to do an Aladdin version of Beauty and the Beast, assuming same layout and the same ride system (just with floating Magic Carpets and different theming), the show-building would technically fit (if you reroute whatever the little corner is that cuts into Ratatouille), though it would eliminate all of the cool little alcoves of the Morocco pavilion (see first attachment). The alternative is to rotate it a bit, and reroute Avenue of the Stars AND the canal, then you can keep all of the alleyways (see second attachment). I think something like this could be really cool. Unrealistic, but cool.
Morocco aladdin.png

Morocco aladdin 2.png

mdcpr

I have great memories of the Morocco pavilion. I had the opportunity to visit in 1986 when it was brand new. Also, whenever I had an event at WDW I would always stop there to pick up some goodies and have lunch. What a pity it changed so much.

Epcot82Guy

I find it hard to believe with the current prices going up, and even day tickets at the price they are, that they allow the Morocco pavilion to sit half-empty and closed... Seriously I guess they feel they can get away with it...

I don't find it hard to believe at all. Now it being highly disappointing? That's a very different statement...

Bocabear

I don't find it hard to believe at all. Now it being highly disappointing? That's a very different statement...
no, you are right...I do believe it... Stitch's Great Escape is still sitting shuttered after 6 years...and you pass by it on your way into Tomorrowland... not like it is tucked away in a corner.... So Yeah I get it, I am not surprised...

jmuboy

Are there any updates on if the Medina marketplace shopping area will reopen? Iโ€™m not holding out great hope for Restaurant Marakesh ever being operated by Disney. But definitely hoped the marketplace courtyard in the pavilionโ€™s center would reopen after the pavement repair and repaint projects wrapped up.

castlecake2.0

Are there any updates on if the Medina marketplace shopping area will reopen? Iโ€™m not holding out great hope for Restaurant Marakesh ever being operated by Disney. But definitely hoped the marketplace courtyard in the pavilionโ€™s center would reopen after the pavement repair and repaint projects wrapped up.
Currently being used as a sangria kiosk

HauntedMansionFLA

Restaurant Marakesh was utilized as The Florida Blue Lounge last year. Sounded like the kitchen was in real bad shape

christine7257

The Florida Blue Medicare Lounge has returned to Restaurant Marrakesh during the EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival.

The lounge is open daily from 12pm to 6pm through November 18, 2023.

More details and the form to fill out to receive the lounge pass can be found at the link below.

Great to have a spot to get out of the heat. Not many people knew about it last year. But I guess that doesn't bode so well for a replacement restaurant any time soon.

Sir_Cliff

Great to have a spot to get out of the heat. Not many people knew about it last year. But I guess that doesn't bode so well for a replacement restaurant any time soon.
The general under-appreciation of the Morocco Pavilion has always seemed such a shame. It is one of, if not the, nicest pavilion in terms of architecture and theming, and Moroccan food is great! On the latter point, though, they seem to have had trouble even filling the lagoon-side restaurant.

Hopefully they can find a way to revive it that brings people in.

Animaniac93-98

On the latter point, though, they seem to have had trouble even filling the lagoon-side restaurant.

Probaby why the main restaurant is still closed, which to my knowledge was never one of the more popular WS locations.

And since that closed, two (three?!) more restaurants have been added to the park.

It's disappointing its still closed, but again I'm not surprised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom