Zika concerns

StephK

Original Poster
We are booked in for a 4 nights Bahamas cruise leaving on May 14th this year. I just received an email warning of Zika virus in the Bahamas. My question is, do they send this to everyone as a precaution since the initial confirmed cases in 2015-2016 or has there been new recent confirmed cases? Does anybody know? I am not, nor do i plan to be pregnant on our cruise but it also says not to even try for children for 6 months after being in confirmed areas so I was just hoping for any information :)

Thanks

21stamps

We were in the Caribbean over Thanksgiving, also received a Zika warning. Whether there are active cases or not, just wear repellent and you’ll be fine. :)

C&D

There is Zika even in Florida, rare, but still confirmed cases so the heads-up is real, and even though the chances remote, not a zero chance. Be aware, not afraid; I'm heading that'a way in March so I've not been dissuaded but I will be aware.

pezgirlroy

There is Zika even in Florida, rare, but still confirmed cases so the heads-up is real, and even though the chances remote, not a zero chance. Be aware, not afraid; I'm heading that'a way in March so I've not been dissuaded but I will be aware.
Exactly, we are done with having kids so that worry is not there but I just don't like mosquito bites :) so we will bring bug spray and use when needed.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We are booked in for a 4 nights Bahamas cruise leaving on May 14th this year. I just received an email warning of Zika virus in the Bahamas. My question is, do they send this to everyone as a precaution since the initial confirmed cases in 2015-2016 or has there been new recent confirmed cases? Does anybody know? I am not, nor do i plan to be pregnant on our cruise but it also says not to even try for children for 6 months after being in confirmed areas so I was just hoping for any information :)

Thanks

Check the CDC website for information. Just pulled below from their site. You can even email them with questions and they respond quickly. We cancelled our February Caribbean cruise b/c DW is pregnant and CDC recommended that was the best course of action. If you are not trying to get pregnant either now or in the near future, doesn't seem like it would be an issue for you. Just wear spray as others have suggested.

Capture.JPG

21stamps

7-nighter in May for us.

Thanks! We are scheduled to go in June, still no word on if the Baths will be opened back up.. I know they’re working, but I’m so curious about the damage inflicted. I look forward to reading your trip report!

Edit/Correction- apparently the park has opened back up since last time I checked. Is an excursion showing up for anyone? We are cruising NCL, not DCL..similar itinerary, Norwegian does not have any Virgin Gorda excursions listed at this time.

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Thanks! We are scheduled to go in June, still no word on if the Baths will be opened back up.. I know they’re working, but I’m so curious about the damage inflicted. I look forward to reading your trip report!
We checked in last night and have a Sail, Snorkel and Beach Adventure booked for Tortola and Kayak, Hike, and Snorkel of Cas Cay booked for St. Thomas. We will see if we have to make changes later on, hopefully not.

21stamps

We checked in last night and have a Sail, Snorkel and Beach Adventure booked for Tortola and Kayak, Hike, and Snorkel of Cas Cay booked for St. Thomas. We will see if we have to make changes later on, hopefully not.

Thank you. Did you have an option for the baths? That’s my main “want” out of this itinerary. I have until beginning of March to switch cruises without penalty. Part of me wants to keep this, because they need the tourism.. The other part of me wants to switch- mainly because my son will have hit the magic age of “8”, which will allow him to do more of the thrilling or snorkeling excursions that he was not able to do on our Thanksgiving cruise.

ChuckElias

Normally, I would recommend looking into planning your own day trip to the Baths with Speedy's ferry service. But I just went to their website and it's been stripped down, apparently still affected by the hurricanes. You might try to find another ferry service that has regular runs to Virgin Gorda, but I had a great experience with Speedy's (they even included free lunch at a local restaurant), so if you can use them, that's how I'd do it.

21stamps

Normally, I would recommend looking into planning your own day trip to the Baths with Speedy's ferry service. But I just went to their website and it's been stripped down, apparently still affected by the hurricanes. You might try to find another ferry service that has regular runs to Virgin Gorda, but I had a great experience with Speedy's (they even included free lunch at a local restaurant), so if you can use them, that's how I'd do it.

Thank you! I’ll look into it.

StephK

Original Poster
This is a standard email that they send out to everyone. Just a way to inform people. We just got ours last night for our April cruise. my advice just bring some bug spray with you just in case.
Thank you! I was hoping this was the case!

StephK

Original Poster
Check the CDC website for information. Just pulled below from their site. You can even email them with questions and they respond quickly. We cancelled our February Caribbean cruise b/c DW is pregnant and CDC recommended that was the best course of action. If you are not trying to get pregnant either now or in the near future, doesn't seem like it would be an issue for you. Just wear spray as others have suggested.

View attachment 257515
Thanks for the info, i'll start following their site!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom