Your Castle is Turning Gold

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
For those of you who frequent Disneyland, be sure to scope out the changes that are beginning...your castle is already turning gold ;)

RU42

Wow, it has started already? I didn't think they would start so soon. I will have to check it out this weekend.

RU

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Originally posted by RU42
Wow, it has started already? I didn't think they would start so soon. I will have to check it out this weekend.

RU

Yup yup...the trim is being painted now...check it out from all angles ;)

xfkirsten

Hmmm, I'll have to look.

I will be VERY upset if they paint the untouched spire. Walt left that unpainted for a reason (so it would never be "finished") and I sure hope they don't paint over it.

-Kirsten

DieHardDisney

Originally posted by xfkirsten
Hmmm, I'll have to look.

I will be VERY upset if they paint the untouched spire. Walt left that unpainted for a reason (so it would never be "finished") and I sure hope they don't paint over it.

-Kirsten

Head's will roll if they do! :mad:

imagineer boy

Originally posted by xfkirsten
Hmmm, I'll have to look.

-Kirsten

Hmm... That's interesting. I never knew that. Which one exactly is the untouched spire?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I'd never heard of the spire thing either. But I looked and found this from http://www.cafetiki.com/castle/trivia.htm:

The second rumor concerns the gilded spires atop the turrets. One of the spires appears unpainted today, and it is said that this is meant as a physical manifestation of Walt’s credo that “Disneyland will never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world.” A nice idea, perhaps, but this was never the intent of this spire! Designer Kim Irvine, who oversaw the repainting of the castle in the early 1990s (the bricks in the castle walls became multicolored at this point), replies that this spire was painted a darker color just to look different, and the effects of time and weather have given this spire a quite unintentional unpainted appearance.

xfkirsten

Well, if that's the "real" story, then they're giving out a load of bull on the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. However, since that story has stuck, and it's such a sentimental part of Disneyland history, I would still be VERY ed if they painted it.

-Kirsten

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
It is, in fact, not an "unfinished spire", however, you are right--there is a sentimental story attached to it now, so it must never change. I don't think it's one of the spires getting crowned so it doesn't really need to get painted...but it might ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom