Your Advice To The First Timer.

real mad hatter

Hmm.Let me ask you Disney onsite professionals.Yesterday I was speaking to a friend who is planning to go to Disney in Florida next year for two weeks.He was armed with four or five brochures but was gobsmacked at how expensive it was to stay onsite compared to offsite.His question to me was " Convince me it's worth the extra bucks " So what are your top five tips for staying onsite instead of offsite.Now I'am sure Ive popped this question before,but I can't remember what the responses were.Ive got a week to get back to him..Your professional advice please.;)

s&k'smom

For us it's totally immersing ourselves in the magic, we don't rent a car so we are totally on property for the whole time. Yeah we pay top dollar but for us it's worth it.

However that being said I've heard from others how staying outside the park they are more apt to see other Florida destinations. If you friend is staying on property for the whole two weeks then staying inside is the answer but otherwise he may want maybe downtown Disney so that he can get to other attractions. Frankly I couldn't blast DH out of the property if I tried!

Upvote 0

Britt

I realllllly disliked staying off site! Maybe it'd have been different had we stayed in DTD or something. But we stayed at the Holiday Inn at Orange Lake, in a perfect little 2 bedroom villa! And I still hated staying offsite.

You are totally removed from the magic. You have to deal with other drives, lots of them are tourists who make last minute lane changes or go REALLY slow. Or you get a FL local with his truck packed high and topped with a mattress with NONE of it tied down. Soooooooo not disney! Lol

Upvote 0

disneysince71

1) Transportation- Busses seem to have gotten better in my trips in December :)
2) Avoiding Parking and The Tram system
3) Convince, Never leaving the Magic... Orlando can be scary... Turn on the news..
4) Confidence.... If you do not like it you can find a CM or Manager to fix whatever you are not happy about... Just don't wait until after you leave!
5) Friendly and a feeling of Home

If they do not want to stay in a Disney I would recommend the Swan. In Disney but a little less. :)

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
In the past, I would say its totally worth it to stay on site. With the new direction they are going with EMH, not so much I dont think, especially if you are staying more than five days or so and can plan to leave before park closing, etc. Our trip to Disneyland last June proved to us you can have as much fun staying off site as you can on.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

Before my list, I would say, tell your friend to put away those brochures and buy a copy of the UNofficial Guide where every one of their questions will be answered about staying onsite or off site, and why costs are what they are, and help them decide what they want to do.

1. No need to rent a car, with DME bringing you directly to your door to and from the airport, and not having to lug your own luggage (unless you arrive after 10 pm)
2. EMH -- totally worth it if you want to do everything there is
3. Transportation within the World without driving, free, and easy
4. If you go at peak, its your only guarantee you will get into the park on the busiest days (Christmas, etc)
5. and this is the big one -- it makes your vacation hasslefree...no thinking biggest decision to make all day is what bus to get on in the morning and to which theme park.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Before my list, I would say, tell your friend to put away those brochures and buy a copy of the UNofficial Guide where every one of their questions will be answered about staying onsite or off site, and why costs are what they are, and help them decide what they want to do.

1. No need to rent a car, with DME bringing you directly to your door to and from the airport, and not having to lug your own luggage (unless you arrive after 10 pm)
4. If you go at peak, its your only guarantee you will get into the park on the busiest days (Christmas, etc)
5. and this is the big one -- it makes your vacation hasslefree...no thinking biggest decision to make all day is what bus to get on in the morning and to which theme park.
. Cheers.Forgot about that book.;)

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

Totally agree about the Unofficial Guide. A must have for any first time visitor.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

Do your home work don't just wing it, e.g. the unofficial guide.
If possible stay on property if not again do your home work where is your resort, is there transportation to and from the park, when, where, how often?
Plan your days to some extent but remember to stop and relax every afternoon to rest and recharge.
Enjoy! Don't just run from attraction to attraction, slow down and observe. See all the magic, the small things and the details that make it different from other places.

Upvote 0

PUSH

1. Transportation- No need to rent a car, hassle with ferries and monorails and trams, etc
2. Escapism- You never have to leave the fantasy bubble for two whole weeks! Why would you want to see advertisements for a dentist's office on your vacation?
3. EMH- Great benefit, no explanation needed
4. Friendly staff and feeling at home- There's not better feeling than a CM saying "welcome home." The CMs are always so friendly and really make you feel like you aren't just a guest, but you're at home
5. Magic- I can't exactly explain it, but the magic just surrounds you at a Disney resort that you just don't get offsite

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

Are they travelling from UK? If so I would suggest the have a look at booking their flights with the airlines and ground arrangements (hotel, ME, park ticket sand hopefully free DDP) through Disney UK, it saves a lot of money compared to inclusive holidays in our experience.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Premium Member
Actually, the only way your friends can be certain about the best way for them is to do both. Maybe they should plan a part of their trip offsite with car rental, etc. and the remaining part onsite?

RMH, you could help them navigate the details of planning onsite (resort, DME for return trip, etc).

This plan would cost more than 2 weeks offsite and less than 2 weeks onsite, but they would know from their personal experience which plan better suits their family.

Upvote 0

katieclooney

The idea that I dont have to worry about luggage getting to and from the resort.
I dont have to worry about coordinating a car and finding parking at each park.
The buses take me to everything Disney I would want to go to. And they come frequently.
My ALL time favorite thing, when I buy something in the park i can have it shipped to my hotel for free and do not have to rent a locker or lug the item around with me.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

For a 2 week vacation, there's no way I would stay on Disney property. There are so many options available in the area that are much more affordable, and frankly offer better amenities in many cases. Perhaps book a few nights on property for the experience, but otherwise look into aff-site offerings.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
For a 2 week vacation, there's no way I would stay on Disney property. There are so many options available in the area that are much more affordable, and frankly offer better amenities in many cases. Perhaps book a few nights on property for the experience, but otherwise look into aff-site offerings.
Agree..We done two centre vacations on our first two visits,but it was painful to leave the bubble after the first week was over,so it's two weeks on site for us now.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom