WSJ: Disney Downtime increases as cost of visiting goes up

Touchdown

Original Poster

The WSJ actually spent time to research and prove something we’ve all noticed: Downtime is increasing. Interestingly, they found it worse at DLR then WDW

doctornick

I've got to imagine that the company reducing staffing on the overnight maintenance over the years probably has some impact on this. Plus just the rides getting older in general.

In an ideal world, they would have such an overabundance of capacity that they would be more willing to close rides for refurbs regularly and still have parks that are pretty functional. For WDW though, that would probably mean building like multiple additional rides (like 4-8) for every single park right now.

hsisthebest

We went to DL this past June. Overall it was a much better experience than current WDW, but there was a lot of ride downtime. Space Mountian, Indy, Cars, and the Grizzly River run were down at least as much as they were up. The app helped a lot though- we sprinted to Space as soon as the app showed it online and had a 20 min wait- soon it was 200.

Jrb1979

Imagine what happens in a park like DHS, EP, or AK when multi-month scheduled maintenance is needed on a major attraction, when downtime is added in.
It will even worse then it is now. Genie+ would be worthless. I've been told from a few here it's pointless adding attractions to those parks for 2 reasons. 1 being all new attractions do is create more demand and 2 why add to those parks when guests only want to visit MK

Minnesota disney fan

I believe that disney didn't do any or much maintenance while it was closed down due to covid. That would have been a good time to do this but it must not be a priority anymore. Wouldn't it be better for them to close down an attraction that is breaking down frequently and obviously needs help instead of just going on day after day with breakdowns. They could work on it at night. That's probably what they did before. I believe it can be done, but no one in charge seems to care anymore, except for making money.

Nubs70

WDW is practicing "run to failure" maintenance instead of preventative or predictive maintenance.

Downtime at a theme park does not cost WDW money as they have your money at the gate.

Downtime also gives you more exposure to food and merch (a benefit for WDW)

"Run to Failure" only costs money as things break rather than preventative where WDW would be spending money fixing things that might break.

Since WDW is not interested in world class uptime, predictive maintenance is not even a consideration.

Downtime is a profit center at WDW.

Minnesota disney fan

I may be old fashioned, but I feel that if an attraction breaks down every day, several times a day, then you Fix It. Afterall, guests (oops customers) paid a lot of money to ride these attractions.
I've been going to WDW since l977 and it was never like it is now with frequent breakdowns. I hope someone in management has the b###s to fix attractions the right way and to do routine general maintenace, like they used to. But I'm not holding my breath with this farce of "leaders" we have now

Jrb1979

I may be old fashioned, but I feel that if an attraction breaks down every day, several times a day, then you Fix It. Afterall, guests (oops customers) paid a lot of money to ride these attractions.
I've been going to WDW since l977 and it was never like it is now with frequent breakdowns. I hope someone in management has the b###s to fix attractions the right way and to do routine general maintenace, like they used to. But I'm not holding my breath with this farce of "leaders" we have now
Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like they don't refurbish attractions as much as other parks do. Every year you see SeaWorld and Universal have rides closed for extended periods of time for refurbishment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The WSJ actually spent time to research and prove something we’ve all noticed: Downtime is increasing. Interestingly, they found it worse at DLR then WDW
Because they’re cutting staff/operational necessities

Where was the mystery on this again?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like they don't refurbish attractions as much as other parks do. Every year you see SeaWorld and Universal have rides closed for extended periods of time for refurbishment.
Because their capacity is screwed after 25 years of increased attendance and not enough reinvestment.

1668883051430.jpeg

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m sure Chapek uses the family from Seattle or Denver (that only visit once) as justification not to do maintenance also, he can’t put a ride down for refurb or they may miss it entirely, it’s better to give them a ride that kind of works, sometimes, rather than close it to fix it.

He’s such an altruistic CEO everything he does is for the benefit of the guests (in his own mind).

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Because their capacity is screwed after 25 years of increased attendance and not enough reinvestment.

View attachment 679590
Less capacity means more unprecedented demand. There’s absolutely no incentive to add more.

I can guarantee they’ve modeled the impact of additional gates and found it doesn’t improve the bottom line.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Less capacity means more unprecedented demand. There’s absolutely no incentive to add more.

I can guarantee they’ve modeled the impact of additional gates and found it doesn’t improve the bottom line.
Extra gates add far too much development costs and overhead…and park cannibalization.

Those are done. Enjoy animal kingdom…it ends there.

But two rides (or the 6 needed) on expansion pads in built and paid for parks?
With some added costs?
That would only bring more, happier people and they would spend more. Buzz price here…not hard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom