Would you recommend Downtown Disney during the construction?

4401DisneyMom

Saw a post today about the Magic Kingdom hub during construction well, we're headed down in June and were going to visit Downtown Disney for the first time. Are we better off waiting until our next visit or is it still worthwhile? Kids wanted to do T-Rex and DisneyQuest, roller coaster simulator, etc. Bottom line, does the construction make it more trouble than it's worth and "waste" time better spent in a park or water park? Thanks!!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We go every trip to WDW. The only issue is transportation delays - sometimes the Marketplace bus stop is closed and you have to get off at Westside. We took a bus on a Friday, about 6:00 PM and surprisingly the traffic wasn't bad. I wouldn't give up the things your kids want to do because of the construction. Just plan accordingly for transportation.

Upvote 0

wogwog

Saw a post today about the Magic Kingdom hub during construction well, we're headed down in June and were going to visit Downtown Disney for the first time. Are we better off waiting until our next visit or is it still worthwhile? Kids wanted to do T-Rex and DisneyQuest, roller coaster simulator, etc. Bottom line, does the construction make it more trouble than it's worth and "waste" time better spent in a park or water park? Thanks!!
Just do not drive a vehicle to DTD. Use the WDW bus and you will not notice the construction when you get there. The chaos is limited to the car parking lots.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The biggest problem right now is getting there. Driving yourself and actually parking borders on impossible and the bus situation is even worse than before.

Personally, I would skip it as there is just way to much travel time involved.

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

We went to DTD twice on our trip two weeks ago, and the bus time did not seem any longer than it usually is. We had to wait about 25 minutes for a bus to pick us up from the Marketplace to take us back to the resort, but I have waited much longer than that before when there wasn't construction. If you truly enjoy DTD, then go and have a great time.

Upvote 0

DisneyFreak23

The biggest problem right now is getting there. Driving yourself and actually parking borders on impossible and the bus situation is even worse than before.

Can you talk backwards like Yoda in all your posts or would that just wear you out?;)

Upvote 0

DisneyFreak23

Can you talk backwards like Yoda in all your posts or would that just wear you out?;)
I think it would wear everyone else out and I would have a price on my head before the end of the month.:D

Ok then, maybe just on SW weekends?

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

If transportation is a problem, can't you just take a bus to POR and take the boat to DTD? I remember it being such a calm and easy ride

There are several resorts you could transfer to and take the boat from. (Or walk in the case of SSR) However for most people the time to do the transfers could take just as long as trying to deal with the parking at DTD.

Upvote 0

hunnybelle

I am somewhat local and have been to DTD a few times in the past couple of months. I drive and park with no issues. DTD has a lot to do and really has a nice Disney vibe. I wouldn't skip it. Personally, I don't think the construction has caused as many issues as I feared it would.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If transportation is a problem, can't you just take a bus to POR and take the boat to DTD? I remember it being such a calm and easy ride

You can, but everyone else has figured this out and now the boats are packed. During our visit a few weeks ago, we spent more time waiting for a boat (long lines) we could get on - than it would have taken to take the bus from our resort. This only works if you want to go from a park to DTD, not your resort to DTD. And if you decide to take a boat, go to French Quarter, not Riverside. The lines at Riverside snaked all the way past the boat house nearly to the check-in building. We watched several boats leave that weren't completely full until we realized they have to leave seats for the guests at French Quarter and not too many people waiting at French Quarter.

Upvote 0

LucyK

We watched several boats leave that weren't completely full until we realized they have to leave seats for the guests at French Quarter and not too many people waiting at French Quarter.
I can't say I'd be mad about that since we stay at French Quarter and take the boat to DTD almost daily.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

I have gone to DtD a couple of times this past year. The bus or boat is really the only way to travel and the bus is slow...I mean the traffic is so congested in that area the buses are mainly slow because of that fact. Just don't be in a rush to arrive or depart. Maybe the boats are a bit quicker but driving is an absolute disaster and the buses face the same traffic issues cars do minus parking fiasco.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom