Would it make sense for me to purchase DVC?

shuey1

Original Poster
I've looked into buying into DVC several times and went on a few tours still not being able to make up my mind. This last week I toured condos in the kissimmee area fully prepared to buy one but having stayed in one for the week I missed the "disney" magic. I go to WDW for sure once a year, sometimes twice and this last year I went January staying at POFQ, June again staying there, and renting points in November at Wilderness lodge. I usually travel with a grown child and 2 grandchildren and alternate children at times. There would always be 4 , sometimes 6 to a reservation and I have 3 more smaller grandchildren that will be added to vacation plans. I take them all separately as families( I have 5 grown children, 8 grandchildren) My husband Never goes and will never want to..:(....The only extra added expense is the flights from Missouri..... I won't be needing to finance and have looked at some of the resale...What are your thoughts?

shuey1

Original Poster
Do you typically stay at deluxe resorts?
Never values except for trying the AOA with younger grandchildren which they love, several times at Wilderness lodge, once at Grand Floridian renting points, several times at Port Orleans Riverside, 2 times at Poly, ....so it depends on who I'm taking. My favorite place is the Wilderness lodge...

Club Cooloholic

Never values except for trying the AOA with younger grandchildren which they love, several times at Wilderness lodge, once at Grand Floridian renting points, several times at Port Orleans Riverside, 2 times at Poly, ....so it depends on who I'm taking. My favorite place is the Wilderness lodge...
If you purchase resale you can save ALOT. It is a little more time intensive, but you can save anywhere from 8 to 10 thousand purchasing 160 points from resale.

nickys

Premium Member
With 6 people, plus up to 3grandchildren, you would need a 2 bedroom, or 2 studios.

You need to think about how many points you will need. If you love WL, then Boulder Ridge or Copper Creek are the obvious choices; BRV will be easier to get resale but has the earlier expiry date.

Lensman

When you stayed at the VWL, what room size did you get - studio, 1-bedroom, or 2-bedroom? It's a good sign that your favorite stay was renting points at VWL. Do you think that if you *don't* buy, that you will continue to rent DVC points for your stays?

Basically, I think that if you can convince yourself that renting points is better than booking regular resort stays, then you've basically convinced yourself that buying DVC makes sense for you, assuming you will go every year for at least the next 10 years (and sometimes even if you don't).

What are your reservations (no pun intended) about buying DVC? Also, how far ahead do you typically book your vacations?

Note: I'll join everyone else in recommending buying resale.

Disclaimer: I'm an enthusiastic DVC owner. We bought at OKW a long time ago, but when doing so I ran through a number of spreadsheets comparing the net cost vs. booking resort reservations at various rates.

shuey1

Original Poster
When you stayed at the VWL, what room size did you get - studio, 1-bedroom, or 2-bedroom? It's a good sign that your favorite stay was renting points at VWL. Do you think that if you *don't* buy, that you will continue to rent DVC points for your stays?

Basically, I think that if you can convince yourself that renting points is better than booking regular resort stays, then you've basically convinced yourself that buying DVC makes sense for you, assuming you will go every year for at least the next 10 years (and sometimes even if you don't).

What are your reservations (no pun intended) about buying DVC? Also, how far ahead do you typically book your vacations?

Note: I'll join everyone else in recommending buying resale.

Disclaimer: I'm an enthusiastic DVC owner. We bought at OKW a long time ago, but when doing so I ran through a number of spreadsheets comparing the net cost vs. booking resort reservations at various rates.

This november I have rented a 2 bedroom villa. Normally I would rent a 1 bedroom with 2 queen beds for myself, daughter and 2 granddaughters. This time it is myself,. my son, dil, and their 2 children. My reservations are the fees...and I do usually book around 6 months ahead.

Lensman

This november I have rented a 2 bedroom villa. Normally I would rent a 1 bedroom with 2 queen beds for myself, daughter and 2 granddaughters. This time it is myself,. my son, dil, and their 2 children. My reservations are the fees...and I do usually book around 6 months ahead.
All the things you mention are consistent with buying DVC, I think. If you want to stay onsite and have a 1-2 bedroom villa, I think the value proposition is there when you buy DVC since the cost of reserving a resort suite/villa are high. The only alternative that I know of that people think has more value-for-money are the family suites at the Art of Animation resort - and those are a step down in luxury and quality of theming. OTOH, kids really do like the in-your-face Disney theming there, and I can see the attraction. I have a friend who loves those and has actually refused my offer to rent my DVC points to them at wholesale cost (the price I would get from David's DVC rental).

Oh, and that brings up something I wanted to say was your reservation/worry: Fees going up. Over the past 20 years, my DVC fees have gone up by an average of 3.5% a year, which is more than the 2.25% approximate annual inflation over that period. So instead of going up from $3 a point to $4.50 a point, they shot up to $7 a point. Over a similar time period, the trading board price to rent points went from $8-9 a point up to $16 a point. And you don't want to know how much room rates have gone up in the last 20 years!

And that's sort of been my backstop in that I figure I could always rent my points every other year and it would cover my dues for 2 years. Then I could use the points in the alternate years for "free". I don't actually do this but that's my thinking of a contingency when the kids take over.

One thing: I don't have VWL points so I'm not sure how far in advance you have to make reservations there for good availability. I'm guessing at least 7 months out but it could be up to 11 months. If you're going to buy at VWL maybe a current owner there could chime in with info?

richg35

If you typically book at 6 months, that might not be far out enough in advance with DVC. It is getting harder and harder to book inside of 7 months. You might have more luck with later booking with 2brs, since studios are typically the first room type to sell out at most resorts (which also eats into the 2BR lock off availability because it leaves only the 1BR side of the lock off available).

But as more resorts are sold and more points are in the system as a whole, and as Disney is adding more events so there are fewer slow periods, the 11 month home resort booking advantage is becoming more of a necessity.

If you are really going to book inside of 6 months, you could be limited to OKW and SSR, as those resorts are large and typically have the most availability for later bookings. You might also need to be open minded towards split stays if you are unable to book the entire stay at a single resort.

MagicHappens

If you can only book 6 months out, home resort won't matter. If you can book at the 7-11 month window, buy where you want to stay. Bookings are getting harder and harder esp during Fall Frenzy.

correcaminos

I agree, depending on time of year, 6 months may not be quite enough. Unless you are not picky at all with where you stay. F&WF through end of year is a tough time for DVC bookings. 1 bedrooms are easier to book than studios though. If you can do 7 months you should have decent choice of somewhere. Or if you can book at 11 month if a busy time of year, and adjust as time goes on you might be fine too.

Late winter, spring and summer are easier to book. We did spring break at about 5-6 months IIRC and found a 1 bedroom standard at BWV. We're about to do 7 months for our longer trip (2 bedroom) and most, but not all, are available right now for our dates.

If you can afford it though and can book a little further out for the most part and prefer at least moderate accommodations, DVC might be for you.

FCivish3

It sounds to me like you are an excellent candidate for a purchase. I suggest you try Animal Kingdom Lodges on a resale contract. Kids usually love it. It also gives you a good bang for your buck and the contract will last 38 more years. You are going several times a year anway and will need anywhere from a Studio to a 2 bedroom, at times. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking you will get VALUE rooms at Animal Kingdom. Just ignore that part of the point chart. If you book, right at 8 AM at the opening of the 11 month window, and try to do it several days in a row, you MIGHT get a value room at AKL.

If you figure each point is worth $15 dollars every time you use it (because that is what you should be able to sell them for), then a DVC Studio at WDW will cost you about what a Moderate hotel room, like French Quarter will cost. I love French Quarter, but I love AKL even more. I have stayed at some of the very best Disney Resorts at Disney World and Disneyland, and AKW is my personal favorite. Amyway, at $15 a point, it will take you about 12 years to break even at AKL, because you also need to count on the cost of the Membership fees. But after that, your rooms will cost you even less, AND, someday you should be able to sell your AKL contract and get some or all of your money back.

I think you should do it.

richg35

It sounds to me like you are an excellent candidate for a purchase. I suggest you try Animal Kingdom Lodges on a resale contract. Kids usually love it. It also gives you a good bang for your buck and the contract will last 38 more years. You are going several times a year anway and will need anywhere from a Studio to a 2 bedroom, at times. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking you will get VALUE rooms at Animal Kingdom. Just ignore that part of the point chart. If you book, right at 8 AM at the opening of the 11 month window, and try to do it several days in a row, you MIGHT get a value room at AKL.

If you figure each point is worth $15 dollars every time you use it (because that is what you should be able to sell them for), then a DVC Studio at WDW will cost you about what a Moderate hotel room, like French Quarter will cost. I love French Quarter, but I love AKL even more. I have stayed at some of the very best Disney Resorts at Disney World and Disneyland, and AKW is my personal favorite. Amyway, at $15 a point, it will take you about 12 years to break even at AKL, because you also need to count on the cost of the Membership fees. But after that, your rooms will cost you even less, AND, someday you should be able to sell your AKL contract and get some or all of your money back.

I think you should do it.

I'm not sure if you read the entire thread, but if you did then this is bad advice. The OP has said, subsequent to her initial post, that she typically books at 6 months, which is not far enough in advance for most DVC bookings. Additionally, she typically travels with anywhere between 4-6 or more to a reservation, so the studio comparison isn't really valid since she would need enough points to book more than a studio room, and in fact typically looks at 2 BR villas.

FCivish3

I'm not sure if you read the entire thread, but if you did then this is bad advice. The OP has said, subsequent to her initial post, that she typically books at 6 months, which is not far enough in advance for most DVC bookings. Additionally, she typically travels with anywhere between 4-6 or more to a reservation, so the studio comparison isn't really valid since she would need enough points to book more than a studio room, and in fact typically looks at 2 BR villas.
True. It won’t work very well, if you book at 6 months. I wouldn’t advise anyone to buy DVC if they typically book at 6 months, unless you like SSR. But 2-bedroom units will be more available than Studios.

Lensman

True. It won’t work very well, if you book at 6 months. I wouldn’t advise anyone to buy DVC if they typically book at 6 months, unless you like SSR. But 2-bedroom units will be more available than Studios.
I feel like there's undue emphasis on the fact that the OP said that in the past for cash reservations, she's booked at 6 months. Let's find out...

OP, if you're still around, do you feel you'd be able to plan a little further ahead and book 7-11 months out?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom