World Showplace Refurb?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
The World Showplace in Epcot is seemingly getting a refurbishment.

Recently permits were filed for 2 seperate projects on the giant tent between the UK and Canada. They're replacing the front fascade - I wonder how it will look - and replacing the carpet with new matching carpet.

Suppose there's any reason why they're doing this?

Enigma

Account Suspended
part of a complete refurbishment of the park for its 25th. anniversary? Similar to the year before Disneyland's 50th. maybe.

Rob562

I sincerely wish Disney was less discreet about things like this. Oh well, I guess only time will tell.

Well, there *are* still forms that have to be filed with the county... It's not like Disney is making grand announcements that they're replacing the carpet at the ol' MillVill.
And thanks to the ease of public access to public records, Disney geeks like us can find these things online with relative ease. :D

-Rob

haveyoumetmark

Well, there *are* still forms that have to be filed with the county... It's not like Disney is making grand announcements that they're replacing the carpet at the ol' MillVill.
And thanks to the ease of public access to public records, Disney geeks like us can find these things online with relative ease. :D

-Rob

It's great to have people find some cool stuff. I was referring to the quiet renovation slowly taking place at Epcot recently. I dislike their discreetness when it comes to Epcot's 25, or if they're even doing anything at all. The SSE refurb was the greatest announcement so far and I don't want to be a beggar, but something more would be nice.

jmani56

I never got to see inside of World Showplace...what exactly is (or was) in there? Is the inside themed like World Showcase, or is it just a big tent?

CTXRover

I never got to see inside of World Showplace...what exactly is (or was) in there? Is the inside themed like World Showcase, or is it just a big tent?

Right now it is just a big tent. It was built to house the "Millennium Village" for the Millennium Celebration. During that celebration, it was basically a mini showcase of countries not already represented on World Showcase. Their exhibits ranged from being as simple as a booth with information about a specific country or region to the more elaborate Israel (I think..(?)) exhibit that actually housed a mini simulator ride. It was something similar to what the Jimmy Neutron ride at USF is (but on a much smaller scale...basically a few simulators in a big room that moved in synch with what was being shown on the screen in the front of the room). Some details of the exhibits from that time can be found here http://wdwmagic.com/2000_village.htm .

After the Millennium Celebration, the place was gutted and renamed "World Showplace". Essentially it is a large tent with what I think may be the largest bathrooms at WDW :)lol: ) that is used for special events now.

IcicleM

Later, that area housed the Pin Celebration events that take place each year. I went in 2001, in August, and still have those pins. Haha, I wonder if they're worth anything...

CTXRover

Recently permits were filed for 2 seperate projects on the giant tent between the UK and Canada. They're replacing the front fascade - I wonder how it will look - and replacing the carpet with new matching carpet.

Probably just routine maintenance. They still use the place for special events, both for regular guests and special conventions.

Of course the optimist in me kind of hopes that this small refurb could be to fix it up so it can be used for something concerning Epcot's 25th. I know the Brad Rex stated that there was no celebration planned, but I'm still holding out hope for something, although that hope diminishes the closer we get to October with no official plans in place yet. A mini exhibit about the creation and evolution of the park would be very nice though and could be housed in a portion of this tent. I still can't believe they aren't taking the opportunity to celebrate this park's milestone birthday. I know I've said it before, but they've done more over the past 2-3 years to Epcot, with more planned before the end of the year (SE refurb) than was done to prepare DL for its huge 50th. All it needs is some money for banners and a nice new ending to Illuminations and it could be bonafide celebration without needing to be huge enough to sustain a marketing strategy for the resort as a whole.

Figment82

The pin event for this year is being house in the MillVill yet again (September 7-9) so unless they're going to throw up some 25th ann. exhibits after the fact, it's not preparation for that anyway.

I was in there a couple times last year - most notably in September for the pin event and it looked great - they had lots of old ride vehicles and props scattered about along with vintage film clips and such playing on screens.

napnet

Well the front facade still is themed for the new millinium if i remember correctly... you can still see it from around the gate... so a new front might make it easier to use for events special events and ceremonies without all the millinium village theming

ToTBellHop

just paint the front like any other building--then it won't be such bad show since guests can currently see the facade from inside the park, which I have always found tacky. It's like "hahaha there's something back here but you can't see it."

RedGear

When will the 25th celebration begin? I think that its good that they have been working on EPCOT since it's my fav park and I think it needed a little face lift.

speck76

more than likely because both are now 6-7 years old, and that is the expected lifetime for soft goods in the public building......

The first Dance World's Competition is being held at the World Showplace this weekend. There will be teams from 12 countries represented. It's a huge event.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom