World Showcase Update (with photos)

ms7479a

Original Poster
Here are some pictures I took today walking around World Showcase:

Work is progressing on the new Mexican pavilion restaurant:
DSC05125.JPG

DSC05126.JPG

The new store in China (Good Fortune Gifts) is now open. Here are a few pictures of what it looks like:
DSC05127.JPG

DSC05128.JPG

DSC05129.JPG

DSC05130.JPG

Personally, I think this new store is a nice addition to World Showcase. It is positioned in a location that is not taking up any prime viewing area for illuminations and is tucked back so it does not create a bottleneck on the promenade. It is much more attractive than just having the little stands selling the Chinese puppets and actually has a good array of merchandise.

No real update on the Italian pizzeria. It is covered up really well so you can't see any construction work going on.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Great photos. The Mexican place is looking to be quite a good size when it's done...

hpyhnt 1000

Honestly...It is the biggest waste of space and view blocking of the lagoon building in WS. It just added a little more to the already cluttered WS.

There is nothing in there that couldn't be found in the main shopping building before, and if the merchandise wasn't in there already they would have no problem adding it.

Agree on every point. China probably has the second largest existing merchandise space after Japan; there was no need to put that new structure there. In all honesty, I would prefer to still have the carts because at least those can be quickly taken down and moved. Now we're stuck with another permanent shack on the promenade. :brick:

At the very least, they could have painted it so it matched the existing colors of the China pavilion. Why on earth is it cream, brown, and baby blue when China is dominated by red, gold, and dark blue? :brick::brick::brick:

ms7479a

Original Poster
Honestly...It is the biggest waste of space and view blocking of the lagoon building in WS. It just added a little more to the already cluttered WS.

That's what I thought until I saw it in person. Its not really blocking any view of the lagoon because there are trees and a big rock behind it. Also, because of the island in the lagoon its not a good spot to watch Illuminations from anyway. As far as clutter is concerned, its a lot better looking than the stands they had in that location previously and it is positioned so that it is set back and does not block people walking on the promenade.

ms7479a

Original Poster
At the very least, they could have painted it so it matched the existing colors of the China pavilion. Why on earth is it cream, brown, and baby blue when China is dominated by red, gold, and dark blue? :brick::brick::brick:

While I get what you are saying, I think the new store color/design helps to highlight some of the different architectural styles there are in China. Not all Chinese buildings look the same.

hpyhnt 1000

While I get what you are saying, I think the new store color/design helps to highlight some of the different architectural styles there are in China. Not all Chinese buildings look the same.

See, I can understand them wanting to do that, but then why not showcase it on an existing section of the buildings? As it is now, this new :building" doesn't even remotely match the tea stand directly next to it. My only point is that the blue/brown sticks out like a sore thumb against the red and gold that is currently there. What they have done is comparable to sticking a log building in front of the American Adventure. The incorporation of another architectural style is admirable but I don't think it should only be on a glorified shack at the front of the pavilion. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom