World Showcase Shopping Question

Rosenrot

Original Poster
I'm not sure if this is the exactly right place to ask about shopping, but I could only find forums about dining, attractions, and hotels, so I figured this was probably my best shot.

I haven't been to World Showcase since I was nine, and I don't remember it well at all, and I wasn't as into culture and traveling then as I am now. I was wondering if the stores in the various pavillions sold things that were related to the countries themselves, or if everything was purely Disney themed?

Such as...am I going to be able to find a shirt that just says, say, 'England?' Or will it say 'England' and have a picture of Mickey Mouse? o_O That's a poor example, but you get what I mean.

In other words - are the products more cultural, or just more of souveniers from the park?

WDW Monorail

The items that you find in the shops in each country are actually from that country.
You usally can't find those items anywhere else but I live in an area of New York where 60% of the population is Italian American so you can find certain things that are sold in Italy (World Showcase) where I live. Another example is in Germany (Which I am sure you are familiar with:animwink: ), there is an Adidas store that sells soccer related items that you can find anywhere else.

However, there is some Disney related Material.

Rosenrot

Original Poster
The items that you find in the shops in each country are actually from that country.
You usally can't find those items anywhere else but I live in an area of New York where 60% of the population is Italian American so you can find certain things that are sold in Italy (World Showcase) where I live. Another example is in Germany (Which I am sure you are familiar with:animwink: ), there is an Adidas store that sells soccer related items that you can find anywhere else.

However, there is some Disney related Material.

Really? You just got me 10x more excited about my trip :D Thank you very much...

...and sorry about stealing Sheva from Milan :p

barnum42

You will still find some Disney Merchandise in the shops that relate to the countries, but the majority of stock comes from the country in question (or possibly is normally sold only in the country in question, but is in fact made in China ;) )

But expect to pay over the odds for things. However, looking is still free :D

DisneyBride94

Yep, they do have plenty of wares from the actual countries...but some Disney options as well... for instance...DH bought a "football" (Soccer) jersey that is UK but has Mickey on it... it cost a pretty penny...

barnum42

Yep, they do have plenty of wares from the actual countries...but some Disney options as well... for instance...DH bought a "football" (Soccer) jersey that is UK but has Mickey on it... it cost a pretty penny...
The real replica uniforms in the UK also cost a fortune - flimsy nylon tops for about $60. Each team has at least two and sometimes three different uniforms and they change them every year.

Rosenrot

Original Poster
The real replica uniforms in the UK also cost a fortune - flimsy nylon tops for about $60. Each team has at least two and sometimes three different uniforms and they change them every year.

No kidding *sigh* Kits are very, very expensive, especially if you want a jersey and the shorts...I was lucky to find a complete Ballack kit on EBAY in my size that was a very, very good price...I don't think I'm going to get that lucky again for anything else, though.

But I understand that things are going to cost a bit at World Showcase...but that is definitely where I am saving most of my money for :cool:

barnum42

No kidding *sigh* Kits are very, very expensive, especially if you want a jersey and the shorts...I was lucky to find a complete Ballack kit on EBAY in my size that was a very, very good price...I don't think I'm going to get that lucky again for anything else, though.

But I understand that things are going to cost a bit at World Showcase...but that is definitely where I am saving most of my money for :cool:
I just refuse to buy replica football shirts, partly as they are a blatant rip off, partly because I'm not prepared to spend a fortune to walk around with a huge advert for a company on my chest - these sponsors should pay the fans for giving their company extra exposure, and lastly because of the yob mentality that is associated with football shirts.

Rosenrot

Original Poster
I just refuse to buy replica football shirts, partly as they are a blatant rip off, partly because I'm not prepared to spend a fortune to walk around with a huge advert for a company on my chest - these sponsors should pay the fans for giving their company extra exposure, and lastly because of the yob mentality that is associated with football shirts.

I understand what you mean...that's why if I do get one, it will definitely have a name and number on the back, because otherwise it really looks like you're waltzing around with a strange t-shirt blazing, well, 'Samsung Mobile' for Chelsea o_O But their Championship jerseys they unveiled today are so very tempting...

The kit I just got from Ebay is a National one, though, so no advertisements on it :rolleyes: thank goodness, lol.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
To add to the above, yes you will find allot of country authentic items. One thing that suprised me was the amount of Hello Kitty stuff in Japan. I did not realize that was where it orriginated. The Japanese store (Mitsukoshi) is really cashing in on the Japanimation craze....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom