Wonders of Life not on F&G maps

Rob562

Original Poster
Hey, folks. I know it's rather late, seeing as how the Epcot Flower & Garden festival is now over, but it was just pointed out to me by a friend last night... (I also did a quick search on the forums but didn't find anything)

Did anyone notice that on the park map within this year's Flower & Garden festival guide booklet, the Wonders of Life pavilion was entirely erased from the map? Not just that there wasn't any text for it (none of the attractions have text listings on the map because it's strictly info about the F&G exhibits), but in the WoL's case, the entire building was erased.

I think this is the first time I've seen an Epcot map with the building totally gone. Usually it's there as a landmark, but doesn't have any text info associated with it. Any thoughts about the meaning?

-Rob

Krozar

I always liked the interactive exhibits there. I miss that entire aspect of EPCOT before the attraction in every building bit. Although, some are great attractions, don't get me wrong.

Maybe this is old news, but I also see that The Fountain View is also not on the map. Was it on the map before?

maelstrom

Well, being that Wonders of Life is closed and has little chance of ever reopening, it doesn't surprise me. Disney is really good at erasing things and then pretending they were never there.

Submarine lagoon... what submarine lagoon?

ghost_elias

I hope one day it comes back refurbished and with a new sponsor, if even if the attractions are the same. Gonna miss Wonders Of Life!!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Map from around 2002 noticce that there's no Horizons nor M:S.

epcot-map.gif

Just my guess, but I would imagine that park maps are done on PhotoShop and each attraction is a seperate layer. So removing anything on the map is simply a mouse click away.

Chape19714

Map from around 2002 noticce that there's no Horizons nor M:S.

epcot-map.gif

Just my guess, but I would imagine that park maps are done on PhotoShop and each attraction is a seperate layer. So removing anything on the map is simply a mouse click away.
And the Wand is a seperate layer as well, it seems to appear and disappear quite often :lol:

Jorden

There has been previous maps that had WoL removed from them I'm pretty sure... I thought I saw one last year. I wouldn't read too much into it. MrNonacho knew what he was talking about last year when people were saying Body Wars was dismanteled and it'd never open again, and if he says there's a chance it could still re-open this fall, there's a chance it could re-open this fall.

RonAnnArbor

There really is no chance it will reopen at any time this year -- not only is it "erased" from the map; it was "erased" from Disney's operating budget this year. No budget = no cast = not opening.

Rob562

Original Poster
Very true... except for the actual Skyway hubs which has always baffled me.

Well, I guess there's reasons for keeping the two skyway hubs... The Tomorrowland one houses the only restrooms on that end of Tomorrowland. The next-closest bathrooms are by Star Traders.
Over in Fantasyland, the building is so extremely land-locked that nothing could ever really go there. And it still fits into the surrounding area without looking like an empty shell (like the Tomorrowland side does). Also, the Fantasyland station comtained the motor for the cable, so there's probably a lot of equipment, electrical and building structure in there that would cost a lot to demolish. So why not just keep the building for asmosphere?

And the Wand is a seperate layer as well, it seems to appear and disappear quite often :lol:

I'd heard that when the wand was on the Guidemaps, people were getting confused. They were reading the map incorrectly, thinking that there was a pathway from Spaceship Earth to Universe of Energy. They'd try going back through the cast gate down past the UoE exit. So, they took the wand off of the Guidemaps.

-Rob

CThaddeus

Actually, Wonders of Life is one of the few decent pavilions left. Too bad Disney was too cheap to maintain the upkeep on it themselves. It really speaks volumes on how bad the management has been of late to allow that to happen. Yes, Metlife backed out. So what? Give the inside a makeover, with new interactive displays, put something worthwhile in the Anacomical Players section, get a restaurant back in there, and actually promote the freakin' pavilion so people know a) it's there, and b) it's open. The lack of signage about it on the maps in December when it was open was pathetic.
I think with a little TLC, Wonders of Life could be great again.

PhilharMagician

We were in there last December when it opened and the crowds were non-existant. As CTHADDEUS said there was no markings on the maps and maybe a sign up front by the entrance. That pavillion needs some sort of help since Sherwood forest has grown up in front of the pavillion and you cannot even see it.

I was really hoping something would have happened in January this year. Like maybe it be torn down and a new project fast tracked for Epcot's anniversary.:shrug: Well, I guess that didn't happen.

Kman101

I was at Epcot in early May, it was closed, of course but I made sure I snapped a photo. Heh.

So sad to see it closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom