Wishes on Thurs 11/13 fallout

disneydata

Original Poster
Let me tell you, it was VERY windy last night at the Magic Kingdom. I decided to watch Wishes with my girlfriend (her 2nd time, my 10th or so time). I noticed the smoke from the fireworks was moving very fast towards Main Street (where we were). Then, about halfway though the show, I saw some rather large pieces of debris flying to the ground about 20 feet in front of me. Yes, they were falling ON Main Street with a few on the grass to the side near the Tip Board. I also felt like something hot hit my forehead, but it was realy small.

I'm not sure if it was fallout from the fireworks, but if I was a guest, that's what I would be thinking (and that IS what I was thinking). Don't they usually cancel fireworks on the high-wind days?

Nick

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
Wind is a factor, but it isnt with Wishes.

I was there on Tuesday (Wind was dead, none at all) and there was fall out hitting around the area. This has happend on other occasions.

So really, you just have to watch out if your in the hub area. I was hit dead on the arm opening night, which was also with no wind. So just watch out.

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by Nick
Let me tell you, it was VERY windy last night at the Magic Kingdom. I decided to watch Wishes with my girlfriend (her 2nd time, my 10th or so time). I noticed the smoke from the fireworks was moving very fast towards Main Street (where we were). Then, about halfway though the show, I saw some rather large pieces of debris flying to the ground about 20 feet in front of me. Yes, they were falling ON Main Street with a few on the grass to the side near the Tip Board. I also felt like something hot hit my forehead, but it was realy small.

I'm not sure if it was fallout from the fireworks, but if I was a guest, that's what I would be thinking (and that IS what I was thinking). Don't they usually cancel fireworks on the high-wind days?

Nick

I believe they cancel Believe when its windy. Even on non windy nights, the firework fallout looks still really close to the walkways...BTW, 9 more trips on MS, and your caught up with me:hammer: :D

BwanaBob

This would explain why the irrigation system on both sides of the castle comes on before and during the show. They don't want any of the brush or trees catching fire

(Ever wonder why there seems to be a lot of standing water in Fantasyland after Wishes? Especially when there hasn't been any rainfall during the day?)

disneydata

Original Poster
Re: Re: Wishes on Thurs 11/13 fallout

Originally posted by ISTCrew20
I believe they cancel Believe when its windy. Even on non windy nights, the firework fallout looks still really close to the walkways...BTW, 9 more trips on MS, and your caught up with me:hammer: :D

Psssst ... I forgot to update it after my 4 days off ...

Yes, I love that ride :slurp: :sohappy: I want to hit 150 before I leave my college program on Jan 3rd :zipit:

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
Well. Go there starting at 7:30 pm each time your out there, youll get there.

Trust me, if I can get 297 flights by going at various times of the day, Im sure you can get it done. Just stick to single rider, and youll be at your goal in no time.

Badger Brent

Since I haven't seen Wishes yet it's hard for me to picture the fireworks. But wasn't there supposed to be perimeter and rooftop shots off of like philharmagic and the castle? If that's true, that would explain some of the fallout. Sorry if I'm way off on this.:wave:

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
Yes, they do fire off from Fantasyland, and they do close off FL.

But honestly. If you see something falling from the sky, and it looks like its coming towards you, then MOVE.

And if you dont, well....

Testtrack321

Am I the only one worried about this? Watch out if you're in the hub? I mean, this is WDW, where pepole do STUPID things. I really think that this was stupid for Disney to do this.

frazierle

Our last trip to Fantasmic we got hit with something. Nothing big but real gritty, almost like hot sand. I figured it was the aftermath of a sparkler or some other firework.

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by Testtrack321
Am I the only one worried about this? Watch out if you're in the hub? I mean, this is WDW, where pepole do STUPID things. I really think that this was stupid for Disney to do this.

I have stood at the end of Main Street, Middle of Main Street, Train Station, and right next to the Partners statue. Never once did anything hit me, anyone around me, and nothing even came close

I have a piece of a 6 inch shell that hit me after Illuminations, it measures about 3 inches by 2 inches and was still glowing when it hit me. I also saw one of the elements of the finale (the ones that look like anti aircraft fire) misfire in high winds and strike a guest standing between Mexico and Norway. Pieces of fireworks really arent all that dangerous as long as they are not burning at full intensity or traveling at high speed. They may sting your eyes and make you smell like black powder (not to mention setting off all kinds of alarms at the airport).

Djali999

the big blast at the climax of wishes is pretty intense. :dazzle: at various points throughout the show, the sonic blasts cause cars in the CM parking lot (which is a good ways away) to malfunction and car alarms start blasting.

also, if you walk from the MK to the Contemporary during Wishes, you'll hear those shells whizzing overhead... I think they aim for that bare chunk of land between the Contemporary and WL.

disneydata

Original Poster
Originally posted by EvilMortimer
Exactly what part of Fantasyland do they close off?

Actually, They close off the castle and the ramps up to it, any walkways that lead up to FL around the castle, and they rope off Snow White and Philharmagic. You can stand anywhere behind the Carousel to the Phil gift shop and the Snow White "mini" gift shop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom