Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

BrianLo

Fascinating! I had no idea that so many college kids would willingly be sent over there to study. I'm sure you as a mom must have been a tad nervous about that, but it's all very insightful into how these things spread from countries like that. :)

College kids are willingly sent all over the US and Tianjin is probably safer than half of them.

Really... China is not the place people seem to think it is. There has been a lot of progression and middle class movement. Especially in urban centers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Really? Don't you remember when Shanghai Disneyland was being built and the American parks had to slash their budgets on everything to help pay for it? Here's an oldy but a goody. https://www.micechat.com/122782-disneyland-cutbacks/

So... now we've got both Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland closed entirely, with no known reopening date. That happened fast. o_O

And during the busiest vacation weeks of the year for China. If this drags on past this week, we will definitely start seeing the effects here in the USA with cutbacks at Disneyland and WDW. At least judging by how Mr. Chapek managed the opening of Shanghai Disneyland in 2016 and how he expected the American parks to chip in and share the burden.

I think the “blameshanghai” was a convenient excuse for US Disney fans to ignore the reality: the iger regime intentionally reduced the amount of investment - to change the narrative/expectations - while drastically increasing prices across the board.

It was a way for parks to take on more of the profit burden from the networks - particularly espn - as that “cash cow” became emaciated and ran its course.

Do really think that wouldn’t have happened without China?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
HKDL‘s closure could save the company money. That will not impact the American parks.

Hong Kong and Shanghai combined either lose money or barely turn a profit each year.
Agreed...

Those parks are about ensuring deals for sweatshops to peddle product to the west...

Problem is they don’t seem to notice their products have really started to suck. But why worry over details?

Mickeyboof

I think the “blameshanghai” was a convenient excuse for US Disney fans to ignore the reality: the iger regime intentionally reduced the amount of investment - to change the narrative/expectations - while drastically increasing prices across the board.

It was a way for parks to take on more of the profit burden from the networks - particularly espn - as that “cash cow” become emaciated and ran its course.

Do really think that wouldn’t have happened without China?

Of course it would have.

But additional burdens are still just that.

Bob & Bob now have even more of a “duty” to shareholders to make up for lost revenue now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course it would have.

But additional burdens are still just that.

Bob & Bob now have even more of a “duty” to shareholders to make up for lost revenue now.
The first bob ran his movie slate dry last year...and now is pumping his streaming service for INITIAL success...

He’s got the parachute on...everyone’s a fool not to see it.

He’ll bleed the parks for another year if the economy holds - far from a given as most of the world is already or entering recession...

If it falters at all...Geronimo!!!!

Mickeyboof

The first bob ran his movie slate dry last year...and now is pumping his streaming service for INITIAL success...

He’s got the parachute on...everyone’s a fool not to see it.

He’ll bleed the parks for another year if the economy holds - far from a given as most of the world is already or entering recession...

If it falters at all...Geronimo!!!!

667B4F47-6A6B-4F01-95F1-554AD2E98B03.gif

Animaniac93-98

oh I grew up with these types of videos!! There was also ones with rats or mice.

Just found out Concerned Children's Advertisers has their own YouTube channel with a number (but not all) of their ads. I remember the mice one too:

And if that's not enough, here's 30 minutes worth of their content in one video. Oh the nostalgia 'eh?

If you scroll to the comments in the second one there's a list of all the ads with timestamps and their original broadcast year.

Disney Analyst

Just found out Concerned Children's Advertisers has their own YouTube channel with a number (but not all) of their ads. I remember the mice one too:

And if that's not enough, here's 30 minutes worth of their content in one video. Oh the nostalgia 'eh?

If you scroll to the comments in the second one there's a list of all the ads with timestamps and their original broadcast year.

That’s the one!! Bahaha!

tonymu

Premium Member
A student traveling from Wuhan, China to his school, Texas A&M in Central Texas checked himself into the ER near school after exhibiting symptoms. He is currently confined to his home. There is currently a shortage of face masks in Central Texas after locals starting buying them. CDC screening arriving passengers from Wuhan in 5 airports but none in TX.
The Texas A&M student's results came back negative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom