Will Disney Dining Plan Return?

Weather_Lady

have you actually checked and worked out if you genuinely save money? Maybe there are some days you want a starter instead of dessert. Or want two quick service meals and no table service. The dining plan doesn’t always make sense and rarely saves you money.
Just save the money you would have spent on the dining plan and then use that to pay for meals.

Agreed. Just like "is the food good," the question of whether the DDP is a money-saver is totally subjective, and totally dependent on how much you like to eat, how often, and what you like to order. I think it's always a good idea to do what you suggest and do a little checking beforehand to see how the math works out for your party. But then again, I genuinely enjoy that sort of research, and some people would probably rather pay more to just avoid it! ;)

I did a lengthy post when my family of 4 (all over age 9, so priced as adults for Disney dining purposes) came back from our February 2020 trip, and the post mortem analysis was that we saved well over 33% on our dining costs by NOT purchasing the DDP, even though we still had 2 on-property meals per day with at least 1 TS per day, and didn't limit ourselves to inexpensive restaurants or non-signatures. (All the gory details here if anyone is interested - just scroll to the bottom of the linked post: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...february-break-adventure.963612/#post-9083242)

On the other hand, a family with different dining and ordering preferences from mine (maybe one that wants a lot of character buffets) probably does save with the DDP, and I'm sure WDW will bring it back as they'll be asking for it. To each his own.

Last edited:

aliceismad

I am confident it will return. It’s a money maker for Disney otherwise they would have never done it in the first place.
I agree. People like the convenience of having the "all-inclusive" feeling and knowing their costs upfront, even if it may or may not save them money in the long run. Plus Disney has inched up its cost and used it as a valuable incentive to drive bookings at certain time periods. I don't see Disney giving up that tool.

Dave B

Agreed. Just like "is the food good," the question of whether the DDP is a money-saver is totally subjective, and totally dependent on how much you like to eat, how often, and what you like to order. I think it's always a good idea to do what you suggest and do a little checking beforehand to see how the math works out for your party. But then again, I genuinely enjoy that sort of research, and some people would probably rather pay more to just avoid it! ;)

I did a lengthy post when my family of 4 (all over age 9, so priced as adults for Disney dining purposes) came back from our February 2020 trip, and the post mortem analysis was that we saved 33% on our dining costs by NOT purchasing the DDP, even though we still had 2 on-property meals per day with at least 1 TS per day, and didn't limit ourselves to inexpensive restaurants or non-signatures. (All the gory details here if anyone is interested - just scroll to the bottom of the linked post: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...february-break-adventure.963612/#post-9083242)

On the other hand, a family with different dining and ordering preferences from mine (maybe one that wants a lot of character buffets) probably does save with the DDP, and I'm sure WDW will bring it back as they'll be asking for it. To each his own.
I agree we would never purchase, but we have found IF they offer FREE dining that is a great deal for us and I know you pay rack rate but it always works in our favor

Crunchie9

I agree we would never purchase, but we have found IF they offer FREE dining that is a great deal for us and I know you pay rack rate but it always works in our favor
At this point I would pay for it. I am budgeting it in, but if not, its just less money I have to spend in the park.

Disney Marketing team intern: If you bring back free dining for December, I WILL spend more money in the park, I PROMISE.

Hcalvert

My husband used to be a big proponent for the DDP. Sure, when my kids were younger and wanted to do character dining, it worked out all right for us. Now that my youngest is 12, it doesn't make sense. We went for two weeks in July and if we would have paid for the standard dining plan, it would have cost around $2500. We ended up paying $900 on and off property for those two weeks. Because we drove the last two trips, we were not stuck on property and did not need food delivered.. He then realized that we don't need the DDP and can be choosier of which restaurants, counter and table service, that we frequent and are not forced to eat practically every meal on property. My husband also found out he loves Publix sub sandwiches and now looks forward to them when we go to Disney.

Crunchie9

My husband used to be a big proponent for the DDP. Sure, when my kids were younger and wanted to do character dining, it worked out all right for us. Now that my youngest is 12, it doesn't make sense. We went for two weeks in July and if we would have paid for the standard dining plan, it would have cost around $2500. We ended up paying $900 on and off property for those two weeks. Because we drove the last two trips, we were not stuck on property and did not need food delivered.. He then realized that we don't need the DDP and can be choosier of which restaurants, counter and table service, that we frequent and are not forced to eat practically every meal on property. My husband also found out he loves Publix sub sandwiches and now looks forward to them when we go to Disney.
And I see the value in a dining plan. Others do too.
The cost of the money is in return for your free time at the park. It is as simple as that. “Total cost of ownership” when you break it down to how much you are paying at the park. So, in that hour to two hours extra a day that you spend Commuting around the outskirts of the park is costing you money.

If you really want to break down the numbers, compare how much it’s costing you per minute for the entire trip, then take the amount of extra commute time to get to these more cost efficient locations and multiple that time by the minute cost of being there.

That is the hidden cost in going off property. That is where I see value in DDP

NelleBelle

As a T1-diabetic, there simply is too much food offered on the DDP for what I eat. Even though there are some healthy snacks, they're way overpriced and frankly, not the type of snack I want to waste the carbs (or insulin) on. Add in that our family is vegetarian and it just doesn't work out for us in the end. It's simply a way wiser thing for us to order in water by the case, some bottled juice to keep on hand, some nutrition bars, and eat at the restaurants we feel like eating at for the trip (with lots of menu-viewing and then still talking to the chef in my case). Our last trip we stayed at SSR and drove. Just about every morning we drove and would go offsite for breakfast (or bring it back to our room) to a place called "Holler & Dash"--it was close and had good breakfast selection for all of us. Some days we packed lunches for the park. So I think it may work for some, but for others, it definitely doesn't.

Hcalvert

And I see the value in a dining plan. Others do too.
The cost of the money is in return for your free time at the park. It is as simple as that. “Total cost of ownership” when you break it down to how much you are paying at the park. So, in that hour to two hours extra a day that you spend Commuting around the outskirts of the park is costing you money.

If you really want to break down the numbers, compare how much it’s costing you per minute for the entire trip, then take the amount of extra commute time to get to these more cost efficient locations and multiple that time by the minute cost of being there.

That is the hidden cost in going off property. That is where I see value in DDP
We are annual passholders (so we get the TS AP discount) and leave the park around lunchtime anyways, so there is no time lost for us. FYI, we ate one TS a night at the park or resort. I was just sharing my experience and my opinion. Stop getting your panties or boxers in a bunch over it as you are wasting your time arguing with me about it. :banghead:

DisAl

We have done the dining plan many times. I always kept all the receipts and at the end of the trip totaled up what the cost would have been had we not been on the dining plan. Since were were doing a character meal every day with the grandkids we saved money on every trip. However, unless the "full" character meal experience returns before our trip this year we will not be doing the dining plan even if it comes back. We can spend considerably less and still have some very nice meals if we are not doing daily character meals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom