Wilderness Cabins?

aladdin2007

Hi everyone, we are thinking of staying a couple nights in April either at the Wilderness Cabins, Wilderness Lodge Villas, Wilderness Lodge, or Animal Kingdom Lodge via the passholder rates for later that month. But we are leaning towards the the cabins at Fort Wilderness. Any personal experiances, reviews, or opinions on these? Especially on the cabins. I would love to know what you guys think if you stayed there before. Thanks

smk

I love the cabins but haven't stayed at the other places you mentioned so I can't compare them at all. The cabins are one bedroom ( full bed and a set of bunk beds) with a murphy bed in the living room, one bathroom, a full kitchen with all you need to serve a meal for 6 people, dishwasher, ice maker, grill and picnic table. The one thing that makes the cabins so special to me is the camping grounds they are in. It is quiet, peaceful, fun...a drive in disney movie every night, petting zoo, pools, stables that house the horses used in MK. We love to rent a golf cart while we are there and drive around every night, just taking it all in site seeing. If you stayed there you would not be disappointed, it's disney!

Upvote 0

yoda_5729

Hi, I stayed at the Fort Wilderness Cabins this Christmas. First and formost I was raised going to Disney every year and staying at Fort Wilderness when I was young. It is my personal favorite resort, but that's just me. It feels much different then the usual resorts.

A few helpful tips.
-Definently get a golf cart as the campgrounds are very large, and getting from one side of the resort to the other can be timely without the cart.

-Understand that because of the size getting to the resorts in a timely manner can be a bit more difficult as without the carts you take a bus to another bus stop which then takes you to the parks, except for Magic Kingdom which you take a boat for.

-There is transportation to Magic Kingdom by way of boat, as well as another boat that takes you to Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge for meals, and shopping and all :)

-There is a beach that you can tan at and play beach sports at, but you can't go in the lake, as they have pools for that.

-there is shopping at both Meadows Trading Post, which has the Bike Barn behind it and Settlement trading post which is near Pioneer Hall and Trails End Restaurant

-Sadly, the petting zoo is no longer there, and it's just shetland ponies and the horses that work at the Magic Kingdom. I talked to a woman who said Disney felt with the one in Animal Kingdom, the other was not needed.

-When checking in you will get a list of the movies at the outdoor movie theatre which are free :)

-During the Christmas season people decorate their campsites with tons and tons of Christmas related lawn ornaments and such, it's rather impressive the work they put into it.

- There is a ton of recreation at Fort Wilderness, and also a short boat ride away is Contemporary which also has a ton.

-I have pictures of the log cabins and will try to post them for you for you to see. One reason I like the cabins is you literally get your own building to yourself and all, and it really is quite relaxed and pleasant. I am personally biased as this was a place I spent some of my youth at, but I would think most people could like it. :)

The biggest piece of advice I can give you though is the golf cart is worth it as getting around the place by foot can be quite overwhelming.

Hope some of this helps, and I'll try to post the images asap

PS I did stay at Wilderness Lodge years ago and you will have much more room in a cabin then in a standard room at the lodge, though I do HIGHLY suggest going to the lobbyof the lodge as it is very impressive, and the gyser is neat too. I have also stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and very much like it, but more because of the animals then anything else. I am not what you would call a curious eater, mostly only eating things on vacations I'm used too, so much of the African cuisine though it might be good I never try, whereas with Fort Wilderness most of the food you would be likely to eat there is normal camping fair or American type food at Trails End. Unless you were in a Villa at AKL, I still think you'd have more room in the cabin, and you can always visit the animals for free by taking a bus from one of the parks or a rental car.

Also both the Lodge's are very large, and you have to do quite a bit of walking in doors. At the Lodges you may walk quite a while indoors to get to your room, whereas with the cart you can take it directly to the driveway of your cabin. Also as some like the outside tranquility of a walk in woodsy type atmosphere, FW is mostly outside whereas the lodges are huge buildings....but they do have air conditioning ;). Lastly IF you have a rental car, which can lesson the need for a cart, but I'd still rent the cart as it's fun and can get around better then a car, but if you have a car you can park it literally directly next to your room, at one of the lodges, like AKL you have to take your luggage through the parking lot, through the lobby, then up elevators, then walk it possibly quite a ways to get to your room. I don't want to make AKL or WL sound bad, as I like them both and am a DVC member at AKL, I was ust trying to contrast them for you. :)

PSS=If you PM me with an e-mail address I can give you a link and the password to a gallery of mine that has the pictures of FW and other Disney stuff on it :) Hope I've been helpful, and if something I said wasn't clear, I can repost as I was typing this pretty fast late at night.

Upvote 0

disneytony

Cabins were GREAT!

We stayed at the cabins last August and it was great! Full 1BR that sleeps six at the price they offer is one of the best deals at Disney. Some quick points to reinforce:

1) You also have a deck on your cabin to eat outside if you'd like.
2) The campgrounds are HUGE, so you do need to schedule a little extra time for getting to the parks from your cabin.
3) The atmosphere is something really special, and different from the normal Disney experience.
4) I also had doubts before staying but would stay again in a heartbeat.

We've never stayed at any of the other resorts you mentioned so I can't compare. Hope this helped, and have a great time!:wave:

Upvote 0

lindsey206

WE stayed in the cabins in October 2008 and I would not recommend them. I too grew up going to Fort Wilderness. Although, I did like the size room, b/c we had 2 children with us, the transportation was horrible and took forever and we even had a golf cart. If you're not in a hurry to get anywhere and don't mind waiting an hour sometimes to get where you need to go then you might enjoy it. We stayed at the AKL in January 2008 and liked this mush better. I've heard people complain about this resort being too far away from things, but for me the transportation was much better than the cabins and the resort is one of the nicest I've stayed at. I've also heard wonderful things about Wilderness Villas. If I were you, I would stay at the Wildreness Villas b/c you'll have more room, the resort was designed by the same guy that did AKL so it has to be awesome and it's a short boat ride to MK. Good luck and have fun! P.S. I also didn't like the convenience to food and coffee options at the cabins. If you're fine making coffee and cooking in your room then you will be fine, but for us, it was not convenient having to get in the golf cart every time we wanted a cup of coffee which wasn't always available at the trading posts anyway. I like the convenience of the reorts much better as you can see!

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I have lodged at the resorts, and have enjoyed hem all.

The cabins are great, the usual grumbles about the buses and the need for a golf cart are greatly exaggerated, and Im sure its not going to be beyond you to fathom out that to visit certain parks you have to switch from the internal resort bus to a dedicated park bus. Besides you can enjoy the boat trip to the MK. And trust me the buses are 100 times better than the fiasco that is SSR.

The big advantage the WL has over FW is the restaurants, but does that feature in your plan? The WL and AKL are very similar but in Dec I thought parts of the public areas of AKL were looking a little tired and thread bare.

I would take a cabin over any resort studio any day.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom