Why not a dark ride based on Fantasia?

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
I mean the original Fantasia, not the weak 2000 follow-up.

I've been watching the original all week, and I'm just blown away by the imagery and the beauty of it. After seeing nothing but CG films for years (not that I don't like CG) it's just astonishing, and there is no doubt that no CG production, except maybe for Tangled, which comes close, has ever equaled Fantasia in terms of stunning animated imagery.

I think a dark ride based on Fantasia could be amazing. If done properly, maybe it could give the Potter ride some competition.

Fantasia, after all, has something for everyone. Fairies, wizards, ghosts, Mickey Mouse, magical beasts like unicorns, centaurs, fauns and flying horses, and even...dinosaurs! Not to mention the demonic Chernobog, who could blow Potter's wussy dementors out of the water.

I wish Robert Iger would kindly stop buying concepts off the rack and instead focus on the riches the Disney archives still have to offer when it comes to ride concepts.

I wish, I wish...

Jerm

Because Fantasia, which always being a beautiful and ground breaking film, has never been a success for Disney. If you look at the BK concept work some of that had Fantasia stuff in it, but it would not be "based" on the film. Don't get me wrong it is one of my fav films of all time, but I am happy with it being a mini golf course and being in Spectro!

BTW I think this would go better in general discussion then News & Rumors.

Animaniac93-98

Because Fantasia, which always being a beautiful and ground breaking film, has never been a success for Disney.

For a long time it wasn't, but then it became one of Disney's top 14 selling animated home video titles. It's got some selling power to its name, which is likely why the mini golf course was built around it and why the sorcerer Mickey concept has been used too.

Why not a ride? I'm not sure. Wasn't there a Fantasia boat ride planned for BK? The content within the movie would be great for an attraction.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
For a long time it wasn't, but then it became one of Disney's top 14 selling animated home video titles. It's got some selling power to its name, which is likely why the mini golf course was built around it and why the sorcerer Mickey concept has been used too.

Why not a ride? I'm not sure. Wasn't there a Fantasia boat ride planned for BK? The content within the movie would be great for an attraction.

Of course I agree. :) As you say, Sorcerer Mickey is all over the place at WDW. And Fantasia is obviously one of the more memorable Disney films. I'm glad you mentioned the sales figures for the home video version. I wasn't aware of that, although dollars shouldn't be the only reason for Disney to do what it does. (Yeah, wishful thinking again).

Sometimes I think Iger just pays lip service to the Disney legacy, and has no real belief in it. He won't release Song of the South, even though there's a popular ride in the parks based on it. He buys Marvel, thinking that having it will guarantee a young-male audience for Disney, even though, despite its presumed young-male audience, Marvel declared bankruptcy some time ago. Apparently there aren't enough young-male eyeballs out there to keep it solvent. :rolleyes:

While I respect the entities involved, it doesn't make me very happy to read about possible additions to the parks based on Star Wars and Marvel. If there are enough enthusiasts for both creations, then their owners should finance and build their own parks. Heck, even Legos has its own park! So does Sesame Street! Why can't Star Wars and Marvel have THEIR own parks?

Oh, well, at least we have the Fantasyland expansion to look forward to. It looks like it's going to exceed everyone's expectations. :)

WishingOnAStar

I think it would definitely attract some stoners to the park. If you thought tripping acid and watching the film was fun...

Just for the record, I do not do drugs nor have I ever done drugs nor do I endorse any use of illegal drugs. I just have a friend who has a friend who knew a guy once

maxairmike

I think it would definitely attract some stoners to the park. If you thought tripping acid and watching the film was fun...

Just for the record, I do not do drugs nor have I ever done drugs nor do I endorse any use of illegal drugs. I just have a friend who has a friend who knew a guy once

ET at Universal. My friends and I joke pretty much non-stop about how much of a trip that would be. The ride ending makes you think you're tripping to begin with, but if you really were...:ROFLOL:

Welcome home, ET...:lol:

OK, but getting back on topic, I think a Fantasia dark ride might be too fragmented by the very subject of it. All the other dark rides tell a cohesive story, with a single plot line. Fantasia is not a true "story," but rather a visual interpretation of many different classical music pieces. Someone can ride Mermaid, Pooh, Pan, or Snow White and understand the overall story without having seen the movies. If you are doing a broad-based Fantasia attraction, that becomes almost impossible. The song selection and ordering of them is what produced that film's sense of flow similar to a story. For a ride, that is something else entirely.

Now, you could pick, say, the Sorcerer's Apprentice section and create a fantastic dark ride on that particular section, but I think basing it off of the film as a whole just would not work.

I think thats a good idea! I like Fantasia, and I like Fantasia 2000 even better.
I think they would need to be careful with Chernabog though, because when I was little that scene scared me to death!

Thrill

OK, but getting back on topic, I think a Fantasia dark ride might be too fragmented by the very subject of it. All the other dark rides tell a cohesive story, with a single plot line. Fantasia is not a true "story," but rather a visual interpretation of many different classical music pieces. Someone can ride Mermaid, Pooh, Pan, or Snow White and understand the overall story without having seen the movies. If you are doing a broad-based Fantasia attraction, that becomes almost impossible. The song selection and ordering of them is what produced that film's sense of flow similar to a story. For a ride, that is something else entirely.

Now, you could pick, say, the Sorcerer's Apprentice section and create a fantastic dark ride on that particular section, but I think basing it off of the film as a whole just would not work.

This. Fantasia is a collection of short films. It's not really suited for an attraction. You could take individual sequences and make a ride, though. I'm all for a Sorcerer's Apprentice Fantasyland dark ride or a Night on Bald Mountain attraction. Just not in the same ride.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I wish, I wish...

Keep on wishing and wishing my friend, Disney will probably not even consider making a dark ride out of it. Over half of the people that go to WDW have probably not even seen it! Be happy that at least a part of it is on The Great Movie Ride. :shrug:

Thrill

Keep on wishing and wishing my friend, Disney will probably not even consider making a dark ride out of it. Over half of the people that go to WDW have probably not even seen it! Be happy that at least a part of it is on The Great Movie Ride. :shrug:

Don't say that. Very, very few have seen Song of the South, and it looks like it will stay that way until it becomes public domain in twenty some years. And that's without lobbying for more copyright extensions.

It's not likely, but I think it's more likely than Splash Mountain was, especially considering that people are pretty aware of the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

ob1thx1138

Sometimes I think Iger just pays lip service to the Disney legacy, and has no real belief in it. He won't release Song of the South, even though there's a popular ride in the parks based on it.

I am sure this has much more to do with the fact that Song of the South pretty much candy coated slavery than Igers lack of respect for "the Disney legacy".

Although you can probably find a bootleg at your local flea market, that is where I got mine. :p

Walt Disney1955

I am sure this has much more to do with the fact that Song of the South pretty much candy coated slavery than Igers lack of respect for "the Disney legacy".

Although you can probably find a bootleg at your local flea market, that is where I got mine. :p

If you watch Song of the South it isn't as if they promote slavery. It is a Disney movie, it's going to gloss over some bad things from the past. But it truly is a lovely movie and it's a shame it never gets released. The most popular attraction is built upon it. Chalk it up to an over-sensitive society

ABigBrassBand

If you watch Song of the South it isn't as if they promote slavery. It is a Disney movie, it's going to gloss over some bad things from the past. But it truly is a lovely movie and it's a shame it never gets released. The most popular attraction is built upon it. Chalk it up to an over-sensitive society

Pretty much.

AEfx

1) Bits and pieces of Fantasia are everywhere - Fantasmic, Philharmagic, etc.

2) While it sells well, it's more parents buying it thinking their kids are going to watch it. I'd love to see the numbers on how many times the average family rewatches that DVD/Blu, vs., say, B&TB or Cars.

Personally, I've never found it to be the masterpiece some hold it to be. It's not bad, just not my cup of tea. I "get it", I just don't care to sit and watch it really. Yet, I do own it on Blu-ray.

Animaniac93-98

2) While it sells well, it's more parents buying it thinking their kids are going to watch it.

That's what all Disney (and "family") movies are to most parents. I wouldn't think Fantasia is any different.

I'd love to see the numbers on how many times the average family rewatches that DVD/Blu, vs., say, B&TB or Cars.

That would be interesting, but why should Disney care once they've been given the money?

CaptainWinter

I think a dark ride based on Fantasia could be amazing. If done properly, maybe it could give the Potter ride some competition.

I agree, it could be a sensational ride. But I don't agree it could compete with Potter, which is a full-on pop cultural phenomenon. Fantasia has never found broad appeal and probably, since it's been this long, never will.

Great music & visuals though, very great. And it's very *Disney*. I'm all for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom