Why No Listen to the Land?

Earlie the Pearlie

Original Poster
Why hasn’t Disney put Listen to the Land back into the ride? I know the name is different now, but I don’t think that’s ever stopped them from doing anything. Wouldn’t it be an instant win to reincorporate the song for minimal cost? (I would like them to keep the barn theater theme though. It’s so calming)
Is there any reason why this hasn’t happened?

Horizonsfan

I suspect it’s just a matter of cost. The family from Denver is going to view the original song as pretty dated sounding. They’d have to spend some money recording a new version and then figure out how to meld it onto the present attraction.

Tbh I like the 1994 opening scene and sounds, it sets the mood better than Symphony of the seed. That said, there’s no reason they couldn’t roll out a subtle guitar version of Listen to the Land in the greenhouses. It could subtly build to a full new rendition with vocals in the final scene before unload.

In the world where it’s brought back, it’d be cool if they somehow got James Taylor or another singer-songwriter of note to reinterpret it. Similar to what they’re doing for CBJ.

Disstevefan1

I suspect it’s just a matter of cost. The family from Denver is going to view the original song as pretty dated sounding. They’d have to spend some money recording a new version and then figure out how to meld it onto the present attraction.

Tbh I like the 1994 opening scene and sounds, it sets the mood better than Symphony of the seed. That said, there’s no reason they couldn’t roll out a subtle guitar version of Listen to the Land in the greenhouses. It could subtly build to a full new rendition with vocals in the final scene before unload.

In the world where it’s brought back, it’d be cool if they somehow got James Taylor or another singer-songwriter of note to reinterpret it. Similar to what they’re doing for CBJ.
That family from Denver is ruining it for everyone. 😉

Worldlover71

I would love to have the song back in some form along with Tomorrow's Child at Spaceship Earth. I don't think they are any more dated than small world or Grim Grinning Ghosts with their very-'60's musical arrangements.

UNCgolf

I don't think the musical style is really an issue. People don't expect (or even want) everything to sound contemporary, and if they did, most music would have to be replaced every few years.

Horizonsfan

There’s been like 3-4 renditions of Golden Dreams since the park has opened, right? I just don’t see them going “okay, let’s just pop this right back in”. The creatives are going to want to leave their mark and tweak it, even if just slightly.

UNCgolf

There’s been like 3-4 renditions of Golden Dreams since the park has opened, right? I just don’t see them going “okay, let’s just pop this right back in”. The creatives are going to want to leave their mark and tweak it, even if just slightly.

Oh I agree with this -- if they did decide to put it back into the ride, they'd likely record a new version. They even regularly record new versions of classic movie songs to use in the parks instead of using the ones everyone knows (I'm not a fan of this, at least most of the time).

I just don't think they'd have to from a guest standpoint.

DisneyFanatic12

Oh I agree with this -- if they did decide to put it back into the ride, they'd likely record a new version. They even regularly record new versions of classic movie songs to use in the parks instead of using the ones everyone knows (I'm not a fan of this, at least most of the time).

I just don't think they'd have to from a guest standpoint.
How much of the rerecording is to avoid the royalties though? I mean, it’s certainly done partially for an artistic touch, but some of the songs are reworked so much that it seems to ruin the integrity of the original (sometimes they rework songs and they become almost unrecognizable). Of course, music is about taste and is different for everyone, but I do think some of it is to avoid royalties and other expenses (some “Disney” songs Disney doesn’t even own). Maybe I’m wrong, but some of the reworkings for their shows are so out there it sounds like a YouTuber trying to avoid a copyright strike…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom