Why hasn't Toy Story Mania Games been updated?

DisneyWorld30th

Original Poster
Toy Story Mania opened in May 2008. I do believe the backend software was orginally created on Windows XP. I am not sure if that has been updated or not.

But why hasn't the games been updated since 2010 (one minor game change with the release of Toy Story 3).

I do believe in orginal press releases Disney said how easy it would be to update to new games.

Thoughts!

Cmdr_Crimson

And cheap, don't forget cheap.

It's also popular just the way it is, so they probably don't see a need.
Yeah the real answer is it's just most likely not a need, so they're not going to waste time on it.

I just felt snarky this AM.
Ah, they are going the way of DisneyQuest....Just let the tech slowly die and then move it out to the back yard and take it down like Ol' Yeller.
old-yeller-dog.gif

JIMINYCR

The numbers remain high which shows guests are not unhappy with the screens, the ride set up or the challenges. Dis usual pattern is to leave costly fixes alone until numbers drop off, there are major glitches with operation or they see the need to upgrade to reinvigorate guests desire to be drawn to it. With the announcement of a whole lot of new projects TSM isnt going to be a priority for expenditure.

Last edited:

DisneyWorld30th

Original Poster
What does it matter? Have you mastered the original?
I haven't mastered the orginal but it has been a "skip" attraction on my previous few visits. They continuely update Star Tours (which requires reprograming). They are also creating a new experience for Smugglers Run, which I feel is fairly new.

Just felt Toy Story Mania could use an update.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
A holiday overlay would be great here. Spend the money to create the graphics once and then use them for years. They could turn it on for Jollywood Nights and the week leading up to Christmas (like the Christmas parade at MK.)

I feel like Jollywood (or a similar event for Halloween eat DHS) could/would be the driving force to see new games added... make new seasonal games that are ONLY available at the party and that could be sufficient draw to get people through the gates to those extra ticket events...

Goofyernmost

I haven't mastered the orginal but it has been a "skip" attraction on my previous few visits. They continuely update Star Tours (which requires reprograming). They are also creating a new experience for Smugglers Run, which I feel is fairly new.

Just felt Toy Story Mania could use an update.
I just realized that my question came across a little sharp. I didn't mean it too. I guess that I just don't go there enough or at least as much as some do because I do not have every scene memorized. I do recognize a few of the characters, but have never even tried to figure out how to get the top score. I just ride it, shoot at weird characters and see how I did at the end. Then I walk out of the building and never think about it again. I have had a lot of things to remember in life and a game at a theme park is not one of them. I go to it every time I'm there, which I am aware is not anywhere near as often as a lot of you. I have been going to WDW since 1983. That's 48 times in 41 years and I haven't been since 2019.

I am also aware of the fact the neither Toy Story Mania or Buzz Lightyear were not there all those years. Buzz was first and Mania was later. I enjoy them both and probably have ridden them 10 times more often then the average guest at WDW. So somehow you think that because you have gotten tired of it they should change it when I would guess, perhaps, 90% have not ridden it often enough to know if it were changed or not. That particular type of attraction is just a game, like Monopoly and they haven't changed that in 100 year and still people enjoy it. Most like things that are familiar and I am started to get the feeling that it is basically the same people that are going ballistic about attractions being changed are the ones that insist on change for other things.

So, what I am trying to say is that a park like Disney has always got to weigh the impact that spending money will make if it is changed. Everyone hated that they leveled the Streets of America to put in Star Wars and Toy Story. Now some of them have forgotten all about that part of the park and are enjoying the changes that were made. That however was to have a real draw and the Streets was more like being home since they really weren't doing anything special with it. Many still are upset. It would be impossible to please everyone so they have to set priorities just like we do in life.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’ve never felt Midway Mania needs an update, it’s as fun today as the day they opened it, what’s odd is I was bored by the Millenium falcon after maybe 3 or 4 rides and felt it needed an update. Not sure why one has maintained its “fun” while the other became “stale” so quickly.

Club Cooloholic

A better question, why haven't they done anything with Toy Story Land. My local Six Flags has better themed lands and a more enjoyable layout than that place. You would think it would be a walk in the park to make Toy Story Land but alas, there is zero immersion.

NickMaio

The numbers remain high which shows guests are not unhappy with the screens, the ride set up or the challenges. Dis usual patters is to leave costly fixes alone until numbers drop off, there are major glitches with operation or they see the need to upgrade to reinvigorate guests desire to be drawn to it. With the announcement of a whole lot of new projects TSM isnt going to be a priority for expenditure.
Most of the guests are under 10.
A few new games would be nice.

Why do the kids get shafted

Cmdr_Crimson

A better question, why haven't they done anything with Toy Story Land. My local Six Flags has better themed lands and a more enjoyable layout than that place. You would think it would be a walk in the park to make Toy Story Land but alas, there is zero immersion.
If anything I hope they salvage Triceratops Spin and move it there and rename it Trixie's Triceratops Spin..

Mark Dunne

They'll may change it in the future to operate a bit like spider man web slinger in DLP maybe, thats a fun attraction for sure, funny thing is my mum coming with us in jan 25, we have been telling her that TSM its good fun, but i must admit, she'll have to work on her arm strength , as the last scene even for me, feels like mine's gonna drop off :).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom