Why did WDW stop making EVENTS out of Disney movies?

Paper straw fan

The still do previews of some movies in One Man's Dream.

This. If they went all in at the parks for every movie, it would be overkill. Especially a film that looks a bit...underwhelming here?

I’d probably feel some movie backlash if I went to a park for Disney and got a giant advertisement for their latest movie instead. They advertise in the buses, at One mans dream, and some elsewhere, I think I’m fine with that. If they want to do a temporary modest add on to parades, and maybe some merch, cool. But I don’t need it crammed down my throat either

eliza61nyc

I wondered the same thing, why there is no synergy between parks and marketing.

Sure adding live entertainment such as a new parade has large costs, but how hard would it be to show a trailer of the next big film ahead of HEA or ROL? Or to add photo ops at parks or resort hotels - not always with a cast member, just a scenic photo op like they have at cinemas for some films.

Seems like an easy win, with an audience that already feel an affinity with The Disney brand.

But why would you in today's informational access? what's the end objective for marketing? to get your "brand" out there. whether it's a new movie, golf clubs or a new drug.

Nowadays, big blockbusters (not that AladdIn qualifies as a blockbuster, but you get the point) get the word out months some times years in advance.
If you go to a movie you get previews for movies that aren't coming out for years in advance. also word of mouth and social media do a great job. think about it, there has been chatter for this movie since the first picture came out of Genie.

Next, I'm going to go with, if someone is in a disney park they already have an "affinity" for Disney.

So basically they would be spending money on a marketing campaign that really does not return much.

Lastly, and this is more a personal opinion, I'm glad they don't show previews. We get the commercials and previews ad nauseum on tv and the internet. that's enough for me.

NickMaio

Disney got CHEAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They would rather spend money creating more UPCHARGE events for people to pay out of pocket for.
I mean c'mon - they scraped their night parade at MK.

Cmdr_Crimson

I bet no one even recalls they did a Home Improvement Fathers Day parade at one time in the studios history..
Found on pintrest
758c6dbc42fb37fd6132273f65777dda.jpg

juniorthomas

I would also guess with the cost effectiveness of internet advertising you can promote a film far easier and cheaper online so while fun it makes these event a waste of money now.
Yeah, it's all about reach. You can reach 30,000 daily DHS guests for an amount of money, or you can use social media and hit millions for the same amount or perhaps even less.

I miss the days where the only advertising WDW did for a new film was a window on Main Street, where the characters moved. The corner window closest to the fire station was always for the newest animated feature. At least, that's how I remember it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom