Why bother with the CEO search anymore?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Original Poster
Tahu said:
OH $#!T!!!!!!

I agree. Iger = no creativity, no vision, no passion. At least Eisner had some of those during his first 10 years.

I will be keeping my eyes and ears open for news on the CEO search. If history is any precedent with this board, the "search" is merely window-dressing, "good show", so to speak. They aren't going to bring an outsider in who could possibly jettison the entire "strategic vision" laid out by Eisner and his cronies, and potentially spend money to rebuild the long-term value and trust that this regime has thrown out the window in order to satisfy "short-term shareholder value".

WDW-Imagineer

CTXRover

I wish they would seriously look outside the box. I know Iger is Eisner's choice and he was in charge of ABC, which did make an unbelivable turn-around in the past year (4th to a strong 2nd and 3 shows almost consistently in the top 10) so he has some leverage there. At least Iger is the only INTERNAL candidate being considered.

Didn't they hire an outside firm to conduct a search for the CEO? Just because Iger releases what HE would do, doesn't necessarily have to mean he will get the job....but I imagine he is on the top of the list (and while I'm thrilled to see ABC performingly so strongly for once, beating out old powerhouse NBC in fact, if it was failing to attract an audience again this year I honestly think Iger would have had a harder time getting the job).

SpectroMan

Maybe he will do a good job. :lol:

I have realized what is needed in the Walt Disney Company. I had a history teacher say that Disney was the only American monarchy, but the great times of Disney were when there was a two person team. First, it was Walt and Roy. The Creative didn't have free reign, but the Fiscal wasn't worried that much about money. Wow, could the company learn alot from this!

Then Walt died and Roy retired- trouble began.

After restructuring, there was another great team: Eisner and Frank Wells. They were able to create hits like Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King.

SaveDisney said:
One of his most valuable qualities was the ability to look beyond the numbers on the spreadsheet, and make a decision based on the creative merit of an idea. It was this type of thinking (on the part of both Michael and Frank) that lead to the creation of attractions like Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure and Fantasmic! (often over the objections of the newly created Strategic Planning group).

Then, Wells died. Trouble soon hit again once the projects started by Eisner and Wells were finished.

And now we find ourselves here today. Iger might be a good decision if they could find the right creative person to co-rule Walt and Roy's Kingdom.

Shaman

I get sick just thinking about the possibilities of Iger in charge...:hurl: :brick:

Lets hope the "search" brings about a better candidate....

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Original Poster
SpectroMan said:
Maybe he will do a good job. :lol:

I have realized what is needed in the Walt Disney Company. I had a history teacher say that Disney was the only American monarchy, but the great times of Disney were when there was a two person team. First, it was Walt and Roy. The Creative didn't have free reign, but the Fiscal wasn't worried that much about money. Wow, could the company learn alot from this!

Then Walt died and Roy retired- trouble began.

After restructuring, there was another great team: Eisner and Frank Wells. They were able to create hits like Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King.

Then, Wells died. Trouble soon hit again once the projects started by Eisner and Wells were finished.

And now we find ourselves here today. Iger might be a good decision if they could find the right creative person to co-rule Walt and Roy's Kingdom.

I think you hit on something many of us have overlooked (I know I have). The greatest times in the Disney company have come with two "heads", one financial, one creative. Eisner has cultivated this culture of one head honcho, overseeing it all. I hope that whoever is brought in to be the new CEO *coughnotIgercough* can see that and do something about it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Original Poster
No other candidates that I've heard about. I don't believe they are making their list public, although that could change in the near future, with the shareholder meeting coming up (in my backyard!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom