Who wants Lord of the Rings at Universal?

cheezbat

People are talking about this already. We know the theme park big guns want this property. I would bet on Uni over anyone else.
Am i a LOTR fanboy? Not really. Do I want to see it? Heck yes. Do I want it in IOA? That's fine I guess, but I do not want to lose Popeye for it.

Dog Ate Mouse

First off Lord Of The Rings would be awesome and a great addition but:

1) This should be a Huge amount of Land
2) Detail, Detail, Detail
3) The Park visiter needs to be emerged into the land right away and have their minds blown and Jaws dropped right from the start.
4) Needs to be lots of Orks
5) No Coasters but lots of interaction exhibits and dark ride experiences
6) Need Talking and Swaying Tree's in a Forrest as you enter this land.

Like Harry Potter, this attraction needs to be big and done right from the start with no second edition being added. The detail should be mind blowing and the experience like you just left reality right from the start. Uni has the people and I believe the imagination to pull this off. I feel the issue would be a good amount of land that will be needed for such a big mult-attraction mutli land experience.

Disneyhead'71

LOTR is dark and violent I'm not sure how that would translate to a theme park???? Sorry fan boys that's just the first thing that pops into my mind.
Dark and Violent. Perfect for Universal. Fairies and Princesses need not apply! And @Dog Ate Mouse, didn't both The Lord Of The Rings AND The Hobbit start small and blow up HUGE!!!!! That, my friend, is what drama is about.

JT3000

LOTR is dark and violent I'm not sure how that would translate to a theme park???? Sorry fan boys that's just the first thing that pops into my mind.

You're absolutely right. Universal would never include a franchise with dark and violent themes in their theme parks. They know bett...

jaws-shark_zps5449d800.gif

Err... oh. Right. Well, at least Disney...

tumblr_m5x61mD1Bk1qzscldo1_500_zpsdfd99d2f.gif

You know what? Forget I said anything.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

I think HP is enough English/style fantasy personally.
I'd rather they didn't.
LOTR was a tremendous success but that was some time ago and despite the fact I hear the numbers are good I don't know a single person who has seen the hobbit.
I have seen The Hobbit, and bought the Blu-Ray. And am anxiously awaiting the 2nd installment. But I may see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty Christmas Day instead. Waiting a few days to see The Hobbit II.

Bairstow

Totally disagree.

If Universal loses superheroes, they should replace them with more superheroes. So either keep Marvel or get DC...and Uni can still have LOTR! ;)

I don't think they would want DC. It would be too much like Six Flags.

Besides, Spider-Man is still one of their hottest attractions and not too long ago was completely redone. I can't see them giving it up any time in the next 8 years unless Disney positively drowns them in cash.

JustInTime

LOL, WHAT?! Have you seen any of the other movies these rides have been based off of? Jaws? The Mummy? Jurassic Park? LOTR being arguably the less violent of all these. smh

Magenta Panther

I think it'd be awesome if Uni built an attraction based on the Shire and the Lonely Mountain. Just those two areas. We'd get to see the neat Hobbit holes and then visit the Lonely Mountain where Smaug the dragon is defending his hoard. Could be a terrific new attraction for Uni. (Wouldn't want it in Disney though.)

EDITED TO ADD: But I would NOT want those attractions based on the awful "Hobbit" movie. It was very disappointing IMO. Did not capture the humor and magic of the book in any way. Now, I loved the LOTR trilogy - was amazed by its coherency, brilliant narrative flow and the little human touches. But Jackson really fell down with "Hobbit". It was so agonizing I nearly walked out of the theater. I'd want any Uni "Hobbit" attraction to be made up of whole cloth, where the Uni techs come up with their own version of the story - not Jackson's. They'd almost HAVE to do a better job.

jensenrick

*raises hand* I do, I do.
But I don't want to lose a single inch of Marvel Super Hero Island to get it. In fact, I'd like to see MSHI get expanded, with a new Avengers ride.
They can take Toon Lagoon.

Yankeesfan5

I think that it would be a good addition to Universal, but Theme Park Insider posted an article today saying that Disney is close to a deal for LotR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom