Who designed more modern attractions?

geekza

Original Poster
I disagree with you on one thing- I don't think Eisner had bad ideas. I actually think he had some very creative and ambitious plans for the parks. Actually implementing those ideas, dealing with setbacks, and admitting when something just wasn't working was his weak points (and keep in mind I'm no expert, so feel free to discard my opinion haha).8
I don't know. Have you read Disney War? While no book is going to be 100% accurate, some of the things he wanted to do would make Trump say, "It might be a little gaudy, don't you think?" He was definitely, at least in the beginning, willing to take chances and to throw money at audacious experiments. The more I read about Eisner, the more I think he would be better remembered had Frank Wells not passed away, since they tended to keep each other balanced.

It is similar, in my mind, to McCartney and Lennon. While they worked together, because they respected one another, they each pushed the other to not settle for "good enough" and develop their strengths as songwriters and performers. Once The Beatles split up, neither had someone to rein in their egos and offer constructive criticism. While there were flashes of brilliance in each of their solo careers, McCartney's more than Lennon's, for sad and obvious reasons, neither were ever able to work at the same level that they did when they were working together. We ended up with songs like "Do the Oz" and "Ebony and Ivory." I actually like Yoko Ono's visual art quite a bit, but her musical collaborations with Lennon were... different.

Shouldigo12

I don't know. Have you read Disney War? While no book is going to be 100% accurate, some of the things he wanted to do would make Trump say, "It might be a little gaudy, don't you think?" He was definitely, at least in the beginning, willing to take chances and to throw money at audacious experiments. The more I read about Eisner, the more I think he would be better remembered had Frank Wells not passed away, since they tended to keep each other balanced.

It is similar, in my mind, to McCartney and Lennon. While they worked together, because they respected one another, they each pushed the other to not settle for "good enough" and develop their strengths as songwriters and performers. Once The Beatles split up, neither had someone to rein in their egos and offer constructive criticism. While there were flashes of brilliance in each of their solo careers, McCartney's more than Lennon's, for sad and obvious reasons, neither were ever able to work at the same level that they did when they were working together. We ended up with songs like "Do the Oz" and "Ebony and Ivory." I actually like Yoko Ono's visual art quite a bit, but her musical collaborations with Lennon were... different.
No, but thats actually on my Christmas wish list haha. When I say he had good ideas, I mostly base that off of his Disney Decade plan, which as you know many of the projects on that plan were never completed or even started. But take Disney land Paris (originally EuroDisney). A theme park in Europe? Great idea. But whrn he was actually building the park he made a lot of mistakes, like trying to go with the "no alcohol rule" in France of all places, trying to implement the strict uniform codes, requiring all meetings with France about the park being English only. It was a good idea, and it eventually became a success, but I think he hurt the process more than helped it. I'm far from an expert on this (hopefully that book can make me one ;)), but I think if someone took his ideas and let someone else be in control of production, things would have gone much smoother.

winstongator

If any of you are looking for references to imagineers & other Disney creatives, I'd look to some books. I'm reading the imagineering workout now and it is all vignettes from Disney creatives. Marty Sklar's books as well have stories and information from current and former imagineers. I'm sure there are more out there as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom