Which moderate resort to stay at?

Caseyis8

Hello.
My husband, son and I are planning on going to WDW next May (2007) and are trying to decide on which resort to stay at. We usually rent a house when we visit Orlando, but this time we are going without my parents and we both do not like to drive in cities that we really don't know our way around, so we have decided to stay on-site this time. Our son will be 9 when we go on vacation.
I was thinking either Caribean Beach or Riverside. Riverside has the boat, which would be really nice, but Caribean has beaches, which I know we can't swim in, but I just love to look out at the water.
Anyways, if anyone would like to help us out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!!

bhg469

I only stay at POR or Coronado, they are both pretty laid back and quiet, at the end of the night when they need 17 busses to get the caribbean beach people home you'll be happy knowing you aren't in that line.

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Without a doubt, choose PO Riverside. As you can see by searching the forums on this, you will not go wrong in choosing this resort. Very comparable to a deluxe. It is absolutely beautiful!!

Upvote 0

Caseyis8

Original Poster
Thanks for the votes for POR. I was leaning towards that one. When we were looking at the resorts last week, we were thinking of staying at the Coronado, but then we found out that it is a convention resort, and we would rather forget about work and anything having to do with our lives at home. :)
I was also considering the CB, but since I've been reading more and more reviews, it sounds like it is rather busy and can be quite loud. Since we normally stay off-property in a house, I think that we would probably like a more relaxed, quiet hotel.
I love kids, and don't really mind the noise, but it is nice to get away from it also.
Is the POR a long drive from everything? Like, does it take the buses a long time to get to the parks?

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Riverside is close to everything so distance will not be a problem. You can even see and hear the fireworks from Epcot each night if the weather is right. The boat to DTD is great and relaxing. If you like quiet, you will like the fact that the buildings are separate and not enclosed hallways outside your door. The hotels with the enclosed hallways tend to be noisier to me. I would also say Coronado is my LEAST favorite hotel on the Disney property. The rooms were small, the food court was not even in the same league as POR's, and was way too convention oriented.

Upvote 0

I luv WDW

French Quarter

Riverside is nice, but spread out (thus requiring a lot of walking to and from the main lobby area, and the bus stop). French Quarter is more compact, is just as nice (if not nicer) and is first on the PO bus route. French Quarter riders are first to be picked up and first to be dropped off. Caribbean Beach would be my 2nd choice.:)

Upvote 0

Kadee

Ringo8n24 said:
Riverside is close to everything so distance will not be a problem. You can even see and hear the fireworks from Epcot each night if the weather is right. The boat to DTD is great and relaxing. If you like quiet, you will like the fact that the buildings are separate and not enclosed hallways outside your door. The hotels with the enclosed hallways tend to be noisier to me. I would also say Coronado is my LEAST favorite hotel on the Disney property. The rooms were small, the food court was not even in the same league as POR's, and was way too convention oriented.

Ringo is right on the money! POR is GREAT! I've stayed at both POR and CB. We really didn't like CB, but it is better than staying off property....which we did......ONCE. CB is really spread out. I can not think of anything bad about POR. While I'm sure there are others who do not like it, you won't find many of those people here. You will definitely enjoy it. Your 9yo can even go fishing, if he is in to that. They also have boats you can rent as well as bicycles. It is so peaceful there. I enjoyed just walking around the resort.

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Kadee said:
It is so peaceful there. I enjoyed just walking around the resort.

Kadee, isn't it cool to just imagine being there right now? The flowers on the grounds are so gorgeous at this time of year. I am partial, though, because I feel like the landscaping at POR is so beautiful all year long and one of the best landscaped resorts around.

Upvote 0

Kadee

Ringo8n24 said:
Kadee, isn't it cool to just imagine being there right now? The flowers on the grounds are so gorgeous at this time of year. I am partial, though, because I feel like the landscaping at POR is so beautiful all year long and one of the best landscaped resorts around.

I think it is definitely the best landscaped resort. I was just remembering my last trip there.....too many years ago (4, I think). LOL....we could always meet at Bellingrath Gardens and talk about how much better POR is!:lol: It is, after all, half way between us!:lol:

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Don't rule out French Quarter - smaller than POR - more intimate and not as crowded. Still has the boat to DTD and the buses to the parks stop here before POR - therefore there's always seats available

Upvote 0

captcanada

jojoyner55 said:
POR - definately. By far the best Moderate - close to a Deluxe in feel, as has been often noted here.:wave:

Agreed 150%!!!

When I go...I stay at POR only. I just love it!
The look, the feel, the food.
It's just......magical ;)

Upvote 0

GoofyFan1

For my family, the Caribbean Beach Resort. We generally go at Christmas, so being from upstate NY, the Caribbean feel is great. This year we considered staying at POR for Christmas but we will again be at the CBR.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I'm with Captain Hook about The French Quarter! It's smaller and the Big Easy feel is there. Don't get me wrong, I love Riverside as well, but I tend to always stay in the FQ when I can.

It's a three minute walk from Riverside and FQ has a cool waterslide coming out of a dragon's mouth! Who wouldn't want to put a speedo on for that!

Upvote 0

jesserin

I'll go with the masses here and say POR or POFQ - although to be perfectly honest - We have had a wonderful experience at each of the moderates, it's never the same one twice as we love trying out each of the Disney resorts - having said that, other than requesting a non-smoking room - we're likely the least picky people on WDW property, so each resort has its ups & downs... personally the walking at all of the moderates to the buses was much longer than staying at the All Stars in a Preferred room - their you are 3 steps to the buses, pool and food court... guarrenteed... But you'll never beat the atmosphere at the moderates - they are just beautiful - each of them. Caribbean Beach is the closest thing to the Grand Floridian that we've found. The POR & POFQ really make you forget you're in WDW... they are just so beautifully themed - and Coronado is a wonderful experience as well, the Lake is gorgeous to wake up to each day and the food was really great for onsite restaurants...

Anyway - this was all just to say that no matter what you choose- you'll likely have a wonderful time - as Disney really puts their heart into each of it's resorts! They all have something special and they all appeal to people in a different way -

But, for starters... I'd go for POR or PORFQ - that'll make you want stay onsite for years to come! :)

Upvote 0

Caseyis8

Original Poster
Well, now my parents want to go with us, but they would like to rent a house again. I told them that we would like to go alone this trip. I know that sounds mean, but they are the type of people that want to do what they want to do and expect my family to just go along with it. Anyways, I told them that maybe we will go for two weeks, one alone so that we can stay at Disney and one so that we can really relax at a house.
I will keep all of you posted. I know that you guys are just so thrilled. lol. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom