WHich guide book is good?

hellokitty1

I have a 1999 Passporter, a 2001 Rita Aero's
guide book and another 1999 book--
Disney World with Kids by Kim Wright Wiley..

I would like to buy another book for 2002,
but dont want to waste money if they are just
same thing in different form.

anybody have a book they just love?

thanks for all your help

Fantasia Fan

Maybe I'm one of the few but I've found the Unofficial Guide to be a little overdone. Sure, you want opinions on something but if you start making too many decisions based on a guide with ratings, you're going to possibly short change yourself. Where the Unofficial Guide seems to be lacking is in descriptions of the ride itself. Its kind of preoccupied with telling you what they think of the ride/attraction as opposed to what the ride/attraction is.

For a lot of people, its nice to have the ratings but ratings can set expectations instead of leaving you with an open mind. It also gives you a crutch to blame if an attraction doesn't turn out the way you expect. Reading some of the comments that they post for Alien Encounter is a good example.

Anybody could sit here and put a number rating on a ride without giving why they rated it as such. I would use the Official Guide and Unofficial guide together to make a well informed decision.

A sort of post script note to all this would be the fact that all unofficial guidebooks are not created alike. What do you do if the Unofficial Guide says an attraction isn't worth your time while Frommer's says not to miss it?

Upvote 0

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by Fantasia Fan
Maybe I'm one of the few but I've found the Unofficial Guide to be a little overdone. Sure, you want opinions on something but if you start making too many decisions based on a guide with ratings, you're going to possibly short change yourself. Where the Unofficial Guide seems to be lacking is in descriptions of the ride itself. Its kind of preoccupied with telling you what they think of the ride/attraction as opposed to what the ride/attraction is.

For a lot of people, its nice to have the ratings but ratings can set expectations instead of leaving you with an open mind. It also gives you a crutch to blame if an attraction doesn't turn out the way you expect. Reading some of the comments that they post for Alien Encounter is a good example.

Anybody could sit here and put a number rating on a ride without giving why they rated it as such. I would use the Official Guide and Unofficial guide together to make a well informed decision.

A sort of post script note to all this would be the fact that all unofficial guidebooks are not created alike. What do you do if the Unofficial Guide says an attraction isn't worth your time while Frommer's says not to miss it?

Well the thing is, the Birnbaum books are published by Hyperion... which is owned by Disney. Everything in those books are from the Disney point of view. The unofficial guides are good because they actually say "don't do this" or "the meal was not good". I think that as far as rides are concerned, its you own experience... but when it comes to restaraunts, the unofficial guides are great.

Upvote 0

tigger1968

I'm one of those people that's always raving about The Unofficial Guide. I refuse to buy Birnbaum's based on it's being "official", which I read as "under the influence of..." As far as the Unofficial Guide being overdone, I would have to disagree. The first time I used it I found it to be the biggest time and money saving thing I could have. When my wife and I first started making our annunal trip to WDW, I used that book to plan the trip. I have used their touring plans and was completely floored at the fact that they really worked, as I was sure they wouldn't. I also like having ratings for rides and restaurants. The thing to keep in mind is that a lot of their ratings are derived in part from interviews with other guests.

I guess the main thing that I always keep in mind when I am planning a trip to the House of the Mouse is that I have limited time and limited funds to complete my trip. Therefore I work very hard before I go to maximize my time and money. I have found the Unofficial Guide to be my biggest help in that.

I suppose part of why I'm so loyal to this book is because of the information that I read last year on page 31 of the 2001 edition. The section is on where to gather information for trip planning, including the internet, and the site that caught my attention the most was a little place called wdwmagic.com, and I've been here ever since...!:D :D :D

Upvote 0

Fantasia Fan

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

Well the thing is, the Birnbaum books are published by Hyperion... which is owned by Disney. Everything in those books are from the Disney point of view. The unofficial guides are good because they actually say "don't do this" or "the meal was not good". I think that as far as rides are concerned, its you own experience... but when it comes to restaraunts, the unofficial guides are great.

Certainly makes sense that they are the official guides then if they are owned by Disney eh?

I have one of the unofficial guides and find it to be just as informative as the UNOFFICIAL GUIDE. I'm just saying that the overall content matter tends to be a little much too skewed to opinions in that book. Many people rave about the Passporter. I have found the Walt Disney World for Couples book to have a nice slant on things. It all goes back to what are you looking for in a guide book. A lot of people are looking for every possible opinion; I like to make decisions with more objectivity rather than subjectivity. To each his own.

Upvote 0

Scooter

While I have purchased several differant guide books over the years I have found that the BEST guide for up to date WDW information is this discussion forum.

I get the latest ride information..whats open and whats closed.
I get up to date pictures of any new rides and parades.
I get several differant oppinions from all walks of life.
I get great restaurant reviews.
I get info about all on property hotels and resorts.
and ...I make new friends

I should just throw all my GUIDE BOOKS away!:p

Thanks Steve! Thanks Members! You're the BEST!:king:

Upvote 0

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by Scooter
While I have purchased several differant guide books over the years I have found that the BEST guide for up to date WDW information is this discussion forum.

I get the latest ride information..whats open and whats closed.
I get up to date pictures of any new rides and parades.
I get several differant oppinions from all walks of life.
I get great restaurant reviews.
I get info about all on property hotels and resorts.
and ...I make new friends

I should just throw all my GUIDE BOOKS away!:p

Thanks Steve! Thanks Members! You're the BEST!:king:

Good point... The Official WDWMagic Guide!! Beats any official or unofficial guide anytime! :king: :king:

Upvote 0

DisneyFreak

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

Good point... The Official WDWMagic Guide!! Beats any official or unofficial guide anytime! :king: :king:

There you go Steve! A way to drum up some money for the site. Write a guide book. I've got some ties at Borders that could help you get it on the shelf. ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom