Which character meals do you suggest?

rhodehogg

I have two children (girl-7, boy-5) that are going two WDW for first time with me and husband, grandma and grandpa and uncle and aunt. Which character meals, and child friendly sit down meals should we be sure to include. We will be there eight days. Adults LOVE good food, but we want it to be kid-friendly as well. We all have free dining. Thanks for any suggestions as we are new to all of this.

metscool

First, where are you staying? And if you are near the Contemporary I would to to Chef Mickey. It is a great. All you can eat. It is great for mom, dad and the kids. All the characters come to the talbes and if you miss them you can tell the waiter and waitess and they will get them for you. Wait a min. they all do that for you. Oh well. It is a great place. I always went there when I was a kid. Have fun.

Upvote 0

rhodehogg

Original Poster
We are staying at the all star sports - going the last week of September. My mom has PArkinsons, so we will see how well she does with all of the walking and heat.

Upvote 0

JPBartsch

A lot depends on what characters your kids like. Probably our 2 favorite character meals are at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary, and The Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom. Usually at CM you have Mickey, Minnie, Chip and Dale, and at Crystal Palace you will find the Pooh characters. Both have really good food, and the characters are also a lot of fun.

As for non-character meals that are kid friendly, the Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness
Lodge is excellent. Our kids had a blast there last year. And the food is also very good.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Upvote 0

KHockett

Donald's Breakfastasauras (sp?) in Animal Kingdom is great too! Mickey, Goofy, Donald and I think Pluto are there. The nice thing to do is book a Priority seating for 1/2 before the park opens (they let you in with your confirmation number) - then you can eat and you are already in the park pretty early in the day. Also, the food is really good - they have a buffet with good hot items and a fresh fruit bar as well. We have always had a great time there!
I would also echo the Chef Mickey's recommendation - that is a blast!:sohappy:

Upvote 0
Chef Mickeys!! I love it there. One trip my family and I went there 2 times because we liked the food and characters so much. I also liked watching the monorail

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Hey there! :wave:

We love Chef Mickey's for breakfast and have been doing that for years. My brother really loves the dinner there, but I haven't tried it yet. For dinner we Love the Character meal at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK...Colonial costumes and great family style food...all you care to eat.

Your kids would love the Whispering Canyon Cafe in the WL for any meal, but the all you care to eat breakfast skillets are our favorites and the BBQ skillets at dinner are very good too.

As for your mom, why not rent a wheel chair to make things easier on her. She won't have to use it if she is feeling up to the walking, but its nice to have should she need it.

Upvote 0

kennygman

Liberty Tree Tavern has great food!
If you are looking for princesses: Cindy's Castle, 1900 Park Fare for Dinner; Akershus for Breakfast (my kids didn't like the evening food)

You don't have to stay at a resort to eat there and if you wish to drive the parking is free too.

Here's a quick breakdown of character meals for you:
Breakfasts:
1900 Park Fare - GF - Alice, Mad Hatter, Pooh & Friends (my kids loved it)
Cape May BC - Mickey and friends (good food, not as festive)
Chef Mickey's Cont -Mickey and friends (great br or din)
Crystal Palace MK - Pooh and friends (get ressie before park open!)
Donald's Breakfasasaurus AK - Mickey and Friends w Donald (good food, get ressie before park opens!)
Ohana Poly - Lilo and Stitch - great fun
Hollywood and Vine MGM - Jo Jo circus and Little Einsteins - new, haven't tried yet
Akershus Epcot - Princesses and only 1 credit (also open before park opens)
Cindy's Castle MK - 2 points includes complimentary? photo package and little goodies for the kids - Cindy, Fairy godmother and the mice.

Lunches:
Crystal Palace MK
Garden Grill EP- Mickey, Chip & Dale (hilarious, great setting and food was good)
Akershus EP - Princesses (norway food for lunch and dinner)
Hollywood and Vine MGM
Cindy's Castle MK- haven't done lunch here.

Dinners:
Chef Mickey's CONT
Crystal Palace MK
Garden Grill EP

Liberty Tree Tavern MK- Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, chip and dale (great food!)
1900 Park Fare GF- Cindy, Prince Charming
Akershus EP Princesses

Upvote 0

rhodehogg

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all of the info! I am feeling very overwhelmed right now!! But I do appreciate the info! BTW, we are planning on getting my mom a wheelchair, but not sure how excited she is about the idea - she is only 50, and very self conscious about that! Anyway, we are all excited about going. Gotta get my husband on the bandwagon - he is used to beach vacations, where you lay around all day and fill up on good food at night. He is such a kid though, he will love it when he gets there! Thanks again!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

rhodehogg said:
Thanks so much for all of the info! I am feeling very overwhelmed right now!! But I do appreciate the info! BTW, we are planning on getting my mom a wheelchair, but not sure how excited she is about the idea - she is only 50, and very self conscious about that! Anyway, we are all excited about going. Gotta get my husband on the bandwagon - he is used to beach vacations, where you lay around all day and fill up on good food at night. He is such a kid though, he will love it when he gets there! Thanks again!

My hubby is the same way! We give him a couple of days on the Gulf Beaches and then head on over to WDW for us girls. :D

He always has a good time when we are there, but he always grumbles until that first day.

Upvote 0

erasure fan1

I say for dinner its chef Mickey and for breakfast, Donalds breakfastosaurus. They are our 2 favorites, both had good food (for a buffet) and fun characters. Breakfastosaurus was more rushed with the characters than chef Mickey but it was still a lot of fun.

Upvote 0

Jenngusto

Faves

I LOVE Crystal Palace and love watching all the little ones get so excited over their fave Pook characters.

A funy one for the kids is the Prime Time Cafe in MGM - the servers will have mom and dad, aunt, uncle etc wear bibs if they spill and will help them eat their veggies by uisng the airplane/choo-choo train techniques used with young kids. The kids get a hoot out of it! And the food is good donw home food.

I also loved 1900 PArk Fare for dinner at the Grand Floridian.

Have a great time!:wave:

Upvote 0
I have to give the Garden Grill some love here. You sit in booths, and so when the characters come by, you really feel like you're one on one with them, because none of the other diners can really see them.

Also, the revolving restaurant is cool, especially if your kids have never been to one. You rotate through part of Living with the Land, which makes it very interesting.

Overall, a good place for dinner after you've spent much of the day walking around Epcot.

Upvote 0
Character meals are great. May I suggest Chef Mcikey's for breakfast or lunch, the atmosphere for kids is great, and every 45 mins they have a party, lots of fun. Also the Crystal Palace is good if the kids like Pooh and his friends. We only ever did Crystal Palace for breakfast, the atmosphere is not as hectic as Chef Mickey's. Still a good place to dine. Book it early in the moring, so you can get in the park befor it opens, It is a very cool experience walking down Main Street before the stores are open, also great photo ops. If the kids like Lilo and Stitch, I also recommend O'hana for breakfast, it is also a good place to dine.

Upvote 0

whizGoofy

rhodehogg said:
I have two children (girl-7, boy-5) that are going two WDW for first time with me and husband, grandma and grandpa and uncle and aunt. Which character meals, and child friendly sit down meals should we be sure to include. We will be there eight days. Adults LOVE good food, but we want it to be kid-friendly as well. We all have free dining. Thanks for any suggestions as we are new to all of this.

You HAVE to go to Crystal Palace!! It is a MUST for Children. As and adult I LOVE the food, and as a kid at heart those Characters are great!!

I also have to echo on the Chef Mickeys, it is a lot of fun, however I have never been such a fan of the buffet choices for Breakfast. It is all about what you like though. It is well worth it for the experience that you get!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom