Trip Report Wherever I go, she goes ***Completed***

03D648C3-8C73-4223-B529-F52BC6FB07A7.jpeg

(Here’s the pre-TR for anyone that would like it, otherwise I’m going to get right to it.)

I have enjoyed experiencing various “Disney firsts” on my previous trips but I don’t think I could have anticipated how different (in good and bad ways) a first Disney trip with a child would be.

I’m by no means a Disney expert but I’m certainly not a novice. I had naively assumed changing from a party of 2 to a party of 3 would be smooth given all of my past Disney experiences. I would say that wasn’t the case but that was as much due to some recent Disney changes as it was to lil BES.

star wars GIF

Buckle up and be sure to keep your arms and legs inside the TR.

Roller Coaster Adventure GIF by YoungerTV

Who:
  • Me (BES)
  • DH (Magician’s assistant in training)
  • Lil BES (our 19mo daughter. I briefly considered giving her first initial but I think it may be too easy to guess)
When:

February 3rd-9th 2023, will also be including Feb 2nd, our pre-travel day.

Where:

AoA Family Suites

Inspired by the GotG influence on the trip (and DH being a huge music nerd) I think I’d like to include a soundtrack with the TR as well. This TR is as much for me as for you all so I think it’ll be fun to look back at our current soundtrack someday. I’ll hide them in a spoiler tag though so it won’t be too annoying.

Before lil BES was born we often referred to her as Kid A. Don’t be worried- this is probably the “weirdest” song on this playlist. But lil BES is a weird kid so it’s fitting:

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Original Poster
Tuesday February 7th (Day 5) Continued:

Our special appointment was lil BES’s first haircut at Harmony Barber Shop. We arrived just prior to our appointment and the Dapper Dans were inside singing so we got a little personal concert.

IMG_5127.jpeg

Lil BES and other children seemed far less amused than the adults. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I had inadvertently booked this appointment right at lil BES’s lunch/ nap time so we were a little worried about how it would go.

Diane from Long Island cut lil BES’s hair. Diane was super nice but quite a bit louder than DH or I. I’ll admit I was a little skeptical at how lil BES would react to her loudness. Diane was a pro.

She did a great job of keeping lil BES engaged and amused and simultaneously cutting a wiggly toddler’s hair.

At some point we got to see a cavalcade as it passed by and lil BES got a wave from Mickey Mouse himself.

Lil BES’s hair looked (and continues to look) great. I found the whole experience to be a lot of fun and reasonably priced too. In addition to the haircut we got mouse ears, a certificate, and lock of lil BES’s hair in a cute little pouch.

IMG_3021.jpeg

Now it was back to FL to grab the stroller and lunch. We did mobile order at Pinocchio Village Haus.

We ordered a kid’s PB&J for little BES. When I went to pick up the order the CM told me the Uncrustable was frozen and offered a substitute. I took it anyway and figured I would try to quick thaw it.

I had the Chicken Caesar salad and DH had a Margarita flatbread. Both were pretty good.

After lunch we managed to get lil BES in stroller and decided to leave MK and repeat our walking journey from yesterday to hopefully get lil BES to have a long nap.

IMG_5121.jpeg

The difference today was that we were trying to leave at parade time. 😵‍💫 It took a while to find a path out but we did. And we managed to get lil BES to sleep.

Even sleeping toddlers take purple wall pictures:

IMG_5123.jpeg

We walked to GF. Disney Springs wasn’t in the cards this trip so I wanted to stop in at the GF Basin. Lil BES woke up as I was making my purchase.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Lil BES’s hair looked (and continues to look) great. I found the whole experience to be a lot of fun and reasonably priced too. In addition to the haircut we got mouse ears, a certificate, and lock of lil BES’s hair in a cute little pouch.
SQUEEEEEE!!!

sorry couldn’t hold that back, the pouch and the mouse ears did me in.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Farting Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

A lot of extra work hours and taking care an increasingly active toddler doesn’t leave a lot of time for TR finishing but I’m going to try…

Impossible! I can only imagine not finishing a TR thread. 😄

Diane from Long Island cut lil BES’s hair. Diane was super nice but quite a bit louder than DH or I. I’ll admit I was a little skeptical at how lil BES would react to her loudness. Diane was a pro.

She did a great job of keeping lil BES engaged and amused and simultaneously cutting a wiggly toddler’s hair.

Diane from Long Island did my son's first haircut way back in February 2020. She's great! I'm just amazed anyone would wrangle kids for haircuts and then have the pandemic and go back for more. 😄

Now it was back to FL to grab the stroller and lunch. We did mobile order at Pinocchio Village Haus.

I had the Chicken Caesar salad and DH had a Margarita flatbread. Both were pretty good.

Ladies and gentlemen, a positive review of Village Haus! I've been down on them here before lately I've been disappointed with our usual go-to Columbia Harbor House that maybe it's time to give PVH another chance.

We ordered a kid’s PB&J for little BES. When I went to pick up the order the CM told me the Uncrustable was frozen and offered a substitute.

Classic Village Haus!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Original Poster
Diane from Long Island did my son's first haircut way back in February 2020. She's great! I'm just amazed anyone would wrangle kids for haircuts and then have the pandemic and go back for more. 😄

Diane was great. I’m so glad there are people who find joy in doing stuff like that.

Ladies and gentlemen, a positive review of Village Haus! I've been down on them here before lately I've been disappointed with our usual go-to Columbia Harbor House that maybe it's time to give PVH another chance.

Classic Village Haus!

Lol. Kind of. Pretty good is the “Midwest polite” equivalent of okay.

None of the MK QS are all that impressive to me.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Original Poster
Tuesday February 7th (Day 5) Continued:

Somehow we convinced a now awake lil BES to stay in the stroller until poly. We all shared a dole whip.

Lil BES not that impressed.

Amy Poehler Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

What did impress her was the lobby and the stairs in it. Up and down the stairs. So. Many. Times.

IMG_6245.jpeg

While DH got coffee we played on the lobby chairs. After the trip I saw that the Poly lobby got some new soft goods. I wonder if it was related to hurricane lil BES rolling thru 😂😬
IMG_5133.jpeg

Next we strolled off to the TTC and then onto Epcot.

We went to a very crowded World Showcase. Lil BES was done being in the stroller so we went to China and let her walk around.

Then off to Mexico for Grand Fiesta Tour. Lil BES liked it but she definitely noted that “Dee Zee” wasn’t present.

More strolling around time.
IMG_5136.jpeg

IMG_5137.jpeg

Shared some ravioli and then banana cake. DH and lil BES thought the cake was great.

IMG_5135.jpeg

We left Epcot out the IG and mobile ordered dinner while on the Skyliner.

Lil BES got Mac and cheese. 👍

DH did a chicken tenders meal. 👍

I got a cheeseburger. 👎

It was super dry and didn’t have any toppings on it beyond the meat and cheese.

At that point I was too tired (physically and mentally) to ask for toppings etc so I just ate as much terrible burger as I could whilst feeding lil BES.

Speaking of tired lil BES certainly wasn’t. It took a looong time to get her to bed that night
After dealing with lil BES’s bedtime meltdown I’m not too proud to admit I had a little bit of meltdown myself.

Looking back, the day went well but just felt so long and tiring. It was a combination of the stress of always have to be the one on the trip to coordinate, problem solve, carry lil BES, diaper change, figure out food etc. and additionally the looming threat of going back to work.

DH calmed me down and avowed he would be more hands on with lil BES on our final park day. A shower and bit of cookie that I had ordered with my failed dinner ask helped too.

Oh and if you’re keeping track I only used Genie plus for one thing. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Look Whos Talking Now Omg GIF

Definitely not recommended if the only member of your party willing to use MDE is also the one a toddler prefers to be carried by.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
You're doing great! Honestly, I think most of us have had weak moments at Disney. I think everyone in my family has snapped at everyone else at least once at Disney World, and in my daughter's case multiple times both ways. 😄 We spend the whole week physiologically swimming upstream with diet, sleep, and physical body demands. Then add in a tired person or a hungry person or a pestering kid or an annoying kid or an ungrateful/spoiled kid or a disagreeing spouse. Or we feel off ourselves. Then it's not like home and we're all sharing a room without space to chill. The whole experience is sensory overload and I always return exhausted and saying we need to make some changes before going back. And then our feelings of wanting to sleep for a week go away and we reflect on how awesome the whole trip was and we plan the next one without the sweeping reforms I promised myself. 😄

I didn't know Walk the Moon did more than Anna Sun. 🙃

littleroo

You're doing great! Honestly, I think most of us have had weak moments at Disney. I think everyone in my family has snapped at everyone else at least once at Disney World, and in my daughter's case multiple times both ways. 😄 We spend the whole week physiologically swimming upstream with diet, sleep, and physical body demands. Then add in a tired person or a hungry person or a pestering kid or an annoying kid or an ungrateful/spoiled kid or a disagreeing spouse. Or we feel off ourselves. Then it's not like home and we're all sharing a room without space to chill. The whole experience is sensory overload and I always return exhausted and saying we need to make some changes before going back. And then our feelings of wanting to sleep for a week go away and we reflect on how awesome the whole trip was and we plan the next one without the sweeping reforms I promised myself. 😄

All of this is so true!!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Original Poster

All of this is so true!!

Yup, we've all had our moments at WDW where the stress gets to us. It's a lot of work bringing a toddler to WDW so don't be too hard on yourself. 🥰

Awww thanks guys. I really appreciate your support. I wasn’t sure if should share that or not because I figure most people just want the happy fun Disney times.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Original Poster
Wednesday February 8th (Day 6):

We all were up at 730 and left the room at 9am. I was up earlier, of course, to snag a GotG BG. DH is iffy on roller coasters but said he wanted to try it.

Per my notes we were inside Epcot by 930am and our GotG BG was already called.

This was the first and only time this trip we tried the rider swap. I let DH go first.

Lil BES and I explored Connections and Creations. Dumb names but I liked them both. Really liked the diaper changing area of Connections as it was separate.

IMG_5150.jpeg

IMG_5152.jpeg

IMG_5156.jpeg

Connections wasn’t open yet but there was a lot of prep activity being done that we watched from behind big glass windows.

Lil BES loved watching a lady roll out dough into balls. The CM was loving it too. It must be kinda weird to have to do your job on display like that but I bet having a toddler act like you’re doing *the* most interesting thing in the whole park makes it worth it.

DH met up with us in Creations. He got Everybody Wants to Rule the World. He liked the ride but got a little queasy.
In Creations we decided lil BES could get a toy. I would have bet money she’d get a stuffed Daisy but she surprised us adamantly wanted Minnie.

I used Mobile Check Out for the first time and thought it was great. Especially with a toddler it was really nice to not have to temporarily take the toy away from lil BES or wait.

Now it was my GotG turn through the LL using the rider swap. This time I got Conga. This ride is an absolute delight. Easily in my top 3 favorite coasters.

I found DH and lil BES back in Connections. It was now open and they were eating lunch. I got some of lil BES’s leftovers chicken tenders. Our next plan was for lil BES to see a certain lil purple dragon.

This one reminds me of just how wild and free lil BES is.

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I figure most people just want the happy fun Disney times.
Speaking for myself, I just want the honesty.

And that pic of lil BES in whatever the cafe is called (Connections?) with her Mickey ears. You're killing me with that one, Smalls.
I got some of lil BES’s leftovers chicken tenders.
Chicken tenders are great, but I really just quoted this bit so I could say that I totally love Sheppard. Because I don't know how to quote spoilers.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Original Poster
Speaking for myself, I just want the honesty.

And that pic of lil BES in whatever the cafe is called (Connections?) with her Mickey ears. You're killing me with that one, Smalls.

There’s a video version that definitely gives you all of the feels. 🥹

Chicken tenders are great, but I really just quoted this bit so I could say that I totally love Sheppard. Because I don't know how to quote spoilers.

I don’t know how to quote them either. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I had a spin instructor that would play Sheppard a lot. At least here I don’t hear them on the radio but I don’t know why. They really should be more popular.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Original Poster
Wednesday February 8th (Day 6) continued:

Near JII we saw Pooh meandering behind a fence. Lil BES wasn’t interested.

IMG_5160.jpeg

There were two ducks also behind the fence. They were way more interesting. She was not the only child more enamored with the ducks. Sorry Pooh!

IMG_5158.jpeg

After the trip lil BES likes to talk about how she saw Pooh but didn’t get to say hi but at the time she gave zero bothers.

IMG_6325.gif

Lil BES inherited some Figment figurines from DH’s childhood and enjoys them a lot so I was curious as to what her reaction would be to JII.

She generally seemed to like it. She jumped a bit at one point, I think when there was a loud noise, but stayed calm. Lil BES hasn’t mentioned this ride since the trip though. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Got lil BES in her stroller and got her to take a stroller nap. This mean strolling WS snacks for us.

We got as far as Japan. Got a beer for me and to share we got this:

IMG_5164.jpeg

The nap didn’t last long and we headed to the Land to ride LwtL.

IMG_5169.jpeg

Once inside we wouldn’t let lil BES walk up the down escalator. A huge meltdown ensued.

Will Ferrell Crying GIF

We quickly left The Land with a very spicy toddler and walked over to The Seas to use the healing power of fishies to calm lil BES down.

IMG_5173.jpeg

Nowadays if you ask lil BES what she wants to listen to she’ll say “Jimmy! Jimmy!” Usually it’s this album specifically but we never quite make it far enough to hear this one:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I know meltdowns aren’t fun for the parent as they are happening but kudos for you to saying no to lil BES.

I recently saw an older kid (preteen-ish) going up the down escalator at the mall and the parents were nearby. I just shook my head and thought they would have deserved it if she got hurt. (I have a colleague who slipped going down the escalator at work and the potential injury is not one I’d try for!)

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Original Poster
I know meltdowns aren’t fun for the parent as they are happening but kudos for you to saying no to lil BES.

I recently saw an older kid (preteen-ish) going up the down escalator at the mall and the parents were nearby. I just shook my head and thought they would have deserved it if she got hurt. (I have a colleague who slipped going down the escalator at work and the potential injury is not one I’d try for!)

We’ve compromised on many little things to prevent tantrums but never safety things. (My favorite silly one was me wearing sunglasses in the house one morning due to lil BES’s very adamant request)

Loving your report and music choices! That picture of the sushi looks delicious!
Yum Yum Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

Glad you’re having fun! And yes the sushi tasted as good as it looked. Luckily lil BES was asleep so we didn’t have to share. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom