Where to stay at the Polynesian

Lance

I'm assuming your in a garden view, I stayed in Tokelau, only because Fiji was down for refurbishment, and I'm guessing it will still be down. Tokelau is a safe bet, it's a newer building, and it's larger than the original buildings(hallway wise). Every floor has a balcony as well, and you are in a prime location close to everything! And you are guaranteed to not have a monorail view in Tokelau.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Original Poster
Originally posted by Lance
I'm assuming your in a garden view, I stayed in Tokelau, only because Fiji was down for refurbishment, and I'm guessing it will still be down. Tokelau is a safe bet, it's a newer building, and it's larger than the original buildings(hallway wise). Every floor has a balcony as well, and you are in a prime location close to everything! And you are guaranteed to not have a monorail view in Tokelau.

We are in a garden view room, but sometime they give us these surprise upgrades for being a travel agent. Last year at Port Orleans we were booked for standard and we got a view of the River.

Upvote 0

GoofyMike29

RAROTONGA all the way man!!!! You are close to the pool and the great ceremonial house, also you are like 3 minutes away from the TTC. Polynesian is possibly the best resort!
I was just there from the 13-20...it was sweeeeeeet!

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Tokelau is a good location. It's centrally located between GCH, pool, boat launches beaches and a short walk from the TTC. There's a decent view of MK (including fireworks and water pagent) from the top of the stairs at the north end of the building

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Original Poster
Originally posted by tikiman
Tokelau is good (it would be my choice) but Aotearoa and Fiji are back up and all new inside.

Steve

But aren't they far away from the TTC? I would rather be closer to the TTC than have the refurbed buildings. What did they do in them anyway?

Upvote 0

tikiman

Yes they are farther from the TTC. I also like to be closer to the TTC.

They needed to do some work on the longhouses. The longhouses have had problems with moisture because of 2 things. One is because they are made of wood on the outer structure and since the original longhouse rooms were constructed using the modular rooms and plugged into the buildings (like the Contemporary) there is space under the floors where water is getting trapped. They are taking everything out of the rooms down to the structure and cementing the floors as well as redoing some of the landscaping to keep the water from flowing towards the buildings. They are also replacing much of the wood on the outer surface and stairways of the longhouses.

Inside the rooms they are rewiring the electrical and replacing the pluming and ventilation. All the carpets and wallpaper are being replaced as well. I have no idea what the new rooms look like but everything will be new.

Tuvalu, Aotearoa and Fiji are done and Niue is next in September with Samoa in January and Hawaii in June. Each job takes about 2-3 months.

Upvote 0

tikiman

Some visitors to the Polynesian just returned from Rarotonga last week and had some negative things to say about the condition of the rooms and the housekeeping was not very good.

As for Samoa you realize it is a smoking longhouse and the times I have visited it had a very strong smell of smoke. It is a great location but I would not be able to handle the smell.

Steve

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Original Poster
Some visitors to the Polynesian just returned from Rarotonga last week and had some negative things to say about the condition of the rooms and the housekeeping was not very good.

As for Samoa you realize it is a smoking longhouse and the times I have visited it had a very strong smell of smoke. It is a great location but I would not be able to handle the smell.

Steve

Thanks for the help...what were they saying about Rartonga besides the housekeeping.

Upvote 0

tikiman

They said the bedspread was torn and there was some trash left in the room that was never removed even after asking housekeeping to remove it. There is different housekeeping assigned to each longhouse and it did not sound like they were happy with theirs. They also said there was a lot of moisture in the building and it felt more damp than the other longhouses.

Steve

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Original Poster
They said the bedspread was torn and there was some trash left in the room that was never removed even after asking housekeeping to remove it. There is different housekeeping assigned to each longhouse and it did not sound like they were happy with theirs. They also said there was a lot of moisture in the building and it felt more damp than the other longhouses.

Steve

Thank You for the information. I will not be staying there then.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

Thanks for the info, tikiman. I looked at a map of the resort, and I think Tahiti is my preferred choice (castle view, proximity to TTC). Do you have any advice for when I make reservations that will better my odds at a Tahiti room? I'm a Disney Club member, if that helps.

Upvote 0

Brer Bear

Samoa

I stayed at Somoa last May and thought it was a great place to be. My girlfriend and I are not smokers and we still couldn't smell the faintest scent of smoke.We weren't bothered by that at all. We also loved the view of the Volcano Pool and the closeness to both the Great Ceremonial House and the TTC.

For my money we would definately request the Samoa Longhouse again.

Upvote 0

tikiman

I will not say that the Polynesian does a great job of de-smoking a room but when I give advise to someone to stay in a room I try to go off of facts and not my feelings. I know people who have stayed in the Samoa longhouse and loved it and had no smell but most people I have met and the times I have been in the longhouse it has a very strong smoke smell. If you want to take the chance that is each persons choice but I think the safe bet is to be in a non-smoking building if you do not like the smell of smoke. Niue is right next to Samoa and is non-smoking but it will be down for rehab soon. Samoa will be down after that.

Aloha
Steve

Upvote 0

GoofyMike29

Steve

Right on Steve,
I just got back from Rarotonga, and the housekeeping was quite strange. They would either come at like 6:00 AM or 5:00 PM, what a pain in the @$$. But my bed spreads were not torn, it was probably just a specific room

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom