Where There’s A Will ...

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Where There’s A Will ...

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) -- ABC and gonzo producer Mike Fleiss — the man behind ratings hits “The Bachelor” and “Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire?” — are developing a reality show in which the family and friends of a wealthy benefactor will compete in a do-or-die battle to win the bulk of his estate. “The Will,” which will be produced by Mike Fleiss’ Next Entertainment, could bow by the end of the 2002-03 season or next summer. Fleiss’ “The Bachelor” is doing whammo Nielsen numbers for ABC. The fourth episode of America’s hottest dating game pulled in 14.9 million viewers on Wednesday, just 2.6 million short of Fox’s World Series baseball. Details of “The Will” are still being finalized, with elements of the game dependent upon the man or woman who ultimately agrees to let his relatives and friends compete for the inheritance. The basic structure is pretty much set, however. Family members and friends who take part in the series will be put through a series of challenges each week, many of them designed by the benefactor. In these weekly competitions, players will vie for a shot at some smaller portion of the benefactor’s estate — the BMW or the vacation house. What’s more, “The Will” will incorporate a vote-off portion in which friends and family members get a shot at eliminating someone from the game — essentially cutting that person out of the will. “Family members who have a lifetime worth of baggage will be voting each other out,” Fleiss said. “It’s much more interesting than a bunch of strangers doing it to each other.” Fleiss said competitions will range from trivia tests to endurance challenges. “There will also be competitions in which the ‘Willy Wonka’ factor will be measured,” he said. “The benefactor will be able to test their worthiness.” Most of the inheritance will likely be paid out upon the mogul’s death, though Fleiss is planning to incorporate elements that will allow the winner to get some “immediate gratification” upon winning the competition. The goal is to have all the money and prizes supplied by the benefactor, but it’s possible ABC could sweeten the pot.

Testtrack321

Brought to you by the sampe people as "The Chair" and "The Anna Nicole Smith Show!"

Great quailty TV programing guys! Keep up the good work (I know I won't be caring)

And they canceled Push.

Bobster

Wow, this is pretty bad.

I can live with "The Bachelor". But this!?! How can Eisner even consider to allow something like this to air on ABC ... let alone let people discuss this idea for more than 5 seconds?

Here are some interesting past quotes from Michael. Note the ironic reference to "tombstone" in the first quote ...

"Story-driven comedy and drama has been the strength and temple of radio and TV. I would like Survivor on ABC, but I wouldn't like it on my tombstone." (Michael Eisner Discusses Future of Content at Stanford Business School - April, 2001)

Guided by Disney, ABC has resisted pressure to air cheesy reality shows. Says Eisner: "There are two ways to make money in entertainment, the high road or the low road. The low road is a road that I don't choose to be on." (Has Eisner Lost the Disney Magic? - January, 2002)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom