Where Did Walt Walk?

phil24

Original Poster
Does anyone know where Walt Disney actually walked at Disney World property?

I know he visited Florida at least a few times before he died and I know there is at least one famous photo of him walking on the Florida property. Does anyone know where this is? I thought I heard it was somewhere over at the Contemporary

Walt_Disney

That’s a good question. I’m interested in this too. I looked online but couldn’t find an answer. Perhaps someone here can answer it.

Duckberg

WDW opened Oct.1, 1971 and Walt died Dec. 15, 1966. There are the still photos of Walt visiting the raw land on his one and only Florida visit in 1965. :);)

phil24

Original Poster
Correct and I’m interested to know if anyone is aware of the location of some of the photos relative to what has been constructed today.

Tamandua

That's one thing I love about Disneyland. You know Walt stood or sat in so many of those places you can stand or sit in. And you can see his personal apartment above the main street fire station. It's too bad they're slowly unWalting everything.

csupinski

I saw something where it seemed to suggest he actually stayed at what is now Fort Wilderness. I believe Fort Wilderness (at least where the boat launch is currently) was once a fish camp.

castlecake2.0

I saw something where it seemed to suggest he actually stayed at what is now Fort Wilderness. I believe Fort Wilderness (at least where the boat launch is currently) was once a fish camp.
Can you remember where you heard this? I’m trying to find more info and hitting dead ends.

JustAFan

Found this online. That's Walt on the left, showing his age a bit. Roy is to Walt's left. Admiral Joe Fowler is on the right. They're looking at plans for the 'Florida Project'. Not sure where the photo was taken or if there's really any good way to know from the photo, but wanted to add it to the discussion. I understand some of Walt's surveying of the property happened by air from his plane, now famously parked near Animal Kingdom.

JOE-FOWLER4.jpg

el_super

Not affiliated with him, but adam the woo actually went to some of these photo locations in the modern day in a video only a few days ago

Is he still banned from WDW? That might explain why he was so off on where the house was.

Anyway there IS an aerial photo of the property from 1969, that clearly shows the house and the airstrip:

1660577181444.png

So when you line it up to the current map, you can see that the house and the hanger/airstrip are firmly located over where Saratoga Springs is today:

2022-08-15_08-17-51.gif

And a little more clearly you can see that the Hanger is about where Reedy Creek Station 4 would be today, and the house is over by that little lake.

2022-08-15_08-19-52.png

Which makes sense as the original article actually states this:

The Smiths’ new home was situated near the eventual site of the Lake Buena Vista Club and what is now Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa.​

Beacon Joe

Came here to post that Adam the Woo video. FYI, he posted a slight correction a few days later about the original house location as well as the other planned airport location from that first video. TL;DW? The Paddock area of Saratoga Springs is the original location of the first WDW building where there's a photo of Walt sitting on the porch.

These were both really good videos. Adam's videos have been really good lately.

TomboyJanet

Is he still banned from WDW? That might explain why he was so off on where the house was.

Anyway there IS an aerial photo of the property from 1969, that clearly shows the house and the airstrip:

View attachment 660609

So when you line it up to the current map, you can see that the house and the hanger/airstrip are firmly located over where Saratoga Springs is today:

View attachment 660610

And a little more clearly you can see that the Hanger is about where Reedy Creek Station 4 would be today, and the house is over by that little lake.

View attachment 660611

Which makes sense as the original article actually states this:

The Smiths’ new home was situated near the eventual site of the Lake Buena Vista Club and what is now Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa.​
heh that's where I stayed last time the Wyndam right near there

MickeyLuv'r

I don't think they are quite what OP was hoping to find, but the entry way of Steakhouse 71 has some photos of Walt and Early WDW on display. (I don't recall if any were specifically Walt in FL, but some were Walt and some were early WDW/CR).

One time, years ago, I got to see one of the $$$ suites at GF that was decorated with photos of Walt. That was easily 10+ years ago, so it may well have been completely renovated since then. Even if it wasn't, the price was crazy-high. I think it now goes for over $3,000 per night in low season. (and prob $5,000-ish peek weeks!)

Still, I think that is not the only suite that is- or was- decorated with rare photos of Walt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom