When You Wish Upon a Monkey’s Paw (Imagineer Game!)

Miru

Original Poster
These days, people often believe Disney has no wishes or magic left in its library, which is surprisingly not true. Wishes still happen, but these days the Star has been replaced by… a monkey’s paw, and now this monkey’s paw is in your control. Instead of no longer granting wondrous wishes, instead they’re granted, but in horrible ways that mar any benefits, which perhaps even worse. That, my friend, is exactly what YOU will be doing here; granting theme park fans wishes, but in the worst ways you can (realistically) think of. However, the monkey’s paw is feeling… merciful this time, and gives you strict rules, preventing the true mayhem it can unleash, beckoning you to read them.

1. You cannot just say “nothing changes” or “it stays the same” or something like that. An answer must be contributed, no matter how bad the original attraction is. “It’s turned back into a parking lot” is not valid unless it is the prompt (wink wink, nod nod), and reverting it to a past version that was even worse than today must be done somewhat creatively.
2. Be realistic. No apocalyptic scenarios that go past the parks themselves, even realistic apocalypses as opposed to aliens, zombies, alien zombies, etc. Budgets can be within any ballpark, but be sure to use a variety of budgets, whatever suits the project at hand in your mind’s eye.
3. Submissions must be 2-10 sentences long, and may include images and/or music. This is to keep things manageable.
4. The prompts will last for a week each. Possibly, the deadline will begin after the second entry is posted.
5. Make ‘em suck in some form. Be it in a dozen small ways or one very big one, preferably both.
6. You can submit an entry to a prompt that you had previously missed.

Without further ado, my first prompt is:

Convert any cloned attraction back into a version of whatever the original attraction was before it was rethemed (such as converting the ODL version of Runaway Railway into The Great Movie Ride, the DHS version of Star Tours into Adventure Thru Inner Space, the ODL version of Astro Blasters into Dreamflight ), but you cannot convert the original version back to what it was.

Last edited:

Earlie the Pearlie

Golden Dreams
Golden Dreams Concept Art.jpeg

In New Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom, your prayers have been answered: Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid is no more! Now, the same building houses Golden Dreams: a theatrical tribute to the courage and fortitude of Californians. To make this attraction fit Fantasyland better, Whoopi Goldberg now plays Tinker Bell, who flies around inspiring Californians to do great things. The facade will be the exact same, but Eric's palace has been replaced by the Golden Gate Bridge, which you can walk under. Additionally, this attraction is now sponsored by Apple (the reason it was done to begin with), so the gift shop is a sleek and modern Apple store, where you can get the newest VR headsets and very thin iPads. We won't ship them back to your hotel room; you'll have to get a locker. But hey! At least you never have to look at those creepy Ariels and rotating fish ever again!

Miru

Original Poster
Golden Dreams
View attachment 789634
In New Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom, your prayers have been answered: Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid is no more! Now, the same building houses Golden Dreams: a theatrical tribute to the courage and fortitude of Californians. To make this attraction fit Fantasyland better, Whoopi Goldberg now plays Tinker Bell, who flies around inspiring Californians to do great things. The facade will be the exact same, but Eric's palace has been replaced by the Golden Gate Bridge, which you can walk under. Additionally, this attraction is now sponsored by Apple (the reason it was done to begin with), so the gift shop is a sleek and modern Apple store, where you can get the newest VR headsets and very thin iPads. We won't ship them back to your hotel room; you'll have to get a locker. But hey! At least you never have to look at those creepy Ariels and rotating fish ever again!
Alas, since there were no other entries, you have won by default… for now. I do like how ridiculously out of place an attraction themed to California is in a fantasy setting and in Florida no less, plus the tiny detail about how even the Apple Store isn’t good at all with one of the most basic things to expect not working.

Alright, on to the next challenge;

Create a brand new Song of the South attraction that isn’t Splash Mountain! TBA has apparently proven unwieldly to reconvert, so as a compromise, it’s time for a new SOTS attraction entirely! Or course, with modern imagineering at the helm, things will be very, very different.

@Pi on my Cake @Earlie the Pearlie @Phroobar @MickeyMouse10 @Disney Warrior

Phroobar

I still like my idea of America Sings Mountain. All the characters are back singing 200 years of folk songs and rock music while we head towards a drop into the ultimate rock concert experience host by KISS.

For a Song of the South, since this is modern Disney, it would be a dark trackless ride that follows the plot of the movie but completely skips the Uncle Remus stories and cute characters. The location and time have to change too. It is now in South Dakota during the 1965. The ride follows a boy & girl whose parents are divorced. The boy can't stand being in South Dakota so he runs away and meets another kid who rescues a puppy from drowning. The boy wants to keep the dog but his mother won't let him so he hides the dog. Some kids tell on him and the dog is sent to pound. The boy's sister and her girlfriend get in a fight with the bully kids and she gets her clothes caked with mud. The boy chases down the kids but gets injured by a bull in the pasture. The girl wishes on a star and the boy is magically healed and they have a party.

All the scenes are mapped projections with one highly advanced AA in the queue and at the party.

Last edited:

Miru

Original Poster
I still like my idea of America Sings Mountain. All the characters are back singing 200 years of folk songs and rock music while we head towards a drop into the ultimate rock concert experience host by KISS.

For a Song of the South, since this is modern Disney, it would be a dark trackless ride that follows the plot of the movie but completely skips the Uncle Remus stories and cute characters. The location and time have to change too. It is now in South Dakota during the 1965. The ride follows a boy & girl whose parents are divorced. The boy can't stand being in South Dakota so he runs away and meets another kid who rescues a puppy from drowning. The boy wants to keep the dog but his mother won't let him so he hides the dog. Some kids tell on him and the dog is sent to pound. The boy's sister and her girlfriend get in a fight with the bully kids and she gets her clothes caked with mud. The boy chases down the kids but gets injured by a bull in the pasture. The girl wishes on a star and the boy is magically healed and they have a party.

All the scenes are mapped projections with one highly advanced AA in the queue and at the party.
Hmmm… this gives me a good idea for the next prompt… keep em coming!

Miru

Original Poster
Hmmm… this gives me a good idea for the next prompt… keep em coming!

Looks like we got another winner by default, I like how this reflects the lack of conflict on non Marvel/Lucasfilm rides as of recent that aren’t total book reports (and even some that are), and all the small details make it better. I really like you took the myopia of Ariel’s Musical Adventure and took it to a new, if all too plausible, level, making the entire ride as boring as possible.

Alright? Here comes Prompt III;

Prompt III: Redo a screen-based attraction to use entirely practical effects, because Disney sees the demand for practical effects on its rides and wants to answer by converting an existing screen/projection ride to purely practical effects, even if it wouldn’t fit. Bonus points if you keep things cheap! (Think plywood cutouts for example)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom