When It Rains

Zayegrrl

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Hello All!

My fiancee and I are going down to Disney in June this year. We were watching a video of Disney the other day and I jokingly told him "You know what to do when it rains at Disney? ....Wait it out. Haha". Last time I went it rained everyday that I was there, but only for 10-15 mins tops. My sister and I just waited it out and walked through it.

But, hey. I figured I better give him some actual advice if it rains there when we go. Lol. Any tips for how to stay out of the rain? The parks we'll likely stay the longest at is Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Bring 2 pairs of walking shoes in case one gets really wet one day then they can dry out while you wear the other pair.
Wear a poncho and carry on with your day.
Be prepared for the potential of an all day rain knowing that its not that likely but possible.

awoogala

I wear crocs, athletic water sandals, etc.= waterproof shoes.
That way, wet feet don't matter- I just walk through puddles and move on.
Bring a poncho or raincoat that fits in a pocket.
That's it.
Maybe wear waterproof makeup if you're worried about photos.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We were in WDW last June and it rained almost everyday and more than just the typical shower. Sometimes it downpoured and rained off and on more a good part of the day. Dont expect just the random shower because if you get in a weather cycle that we had you will be frequently wet.

carriebeth

When it looks like a storm is about to strike we head for a long running show or attraction that is indoors. Something like carousel of progress ,the tiki room ,a movie in one of the Epcot pavilions, frozen sing along. The land building is great and perfect for longer storms you can do soarin, the new movie, living with the land and get a snack or meal while staying dry. There are wen a couple restrooms in there. So often we duck into a show and come out it’s back to totally sunny and the ground is dry and we never saw a drop of rain

Eamethyst

In the rain we always headed to Splash Mountain. There isn't a wait. Ha ha. At the Magic Kingdom there are areas at TomorrowLand. That have shows rides. Hollywood Studios, probably Mickey and Minnie runaway railway. Stars wars Land. Shopping. Epcot would be a good place to hide out from the rain. Living with the land. There is Soarin at Epcot along with a food area. All indoors.

*Jules*

In the Parks
No
I agree crocs are a good way to go because like another poster said in the Summer it does rain just about everyday. When you see a storm coming and many times they come fast hop into a store and just stroll around and wait it out. Make sure you get into the store before it gets too crowded though.

Weather_Lady

For short, light rains, we just duck into a gift shop or indoor attraction for a few minutes until it blows over.

For a seriously rainy day (and we've had some that were like a monsoon), we wear our ponchos and waterproof hiking sandals (e.g., Tevas and the like -- NOT Crocs, which can become dangerously slippery when wet!) and go about business as usual, for whatever park we'd originally planned to visit that day. If there are attractions that close down for rain (e.g., outdoor ones like Big Thunder Mountain), we just try to catch them in between storms. We've had some of our most productive touring days when it was rainy out.

ninjaprincesst

For short, light rains, we just duck into a gift shop or indoor attraction for a few minutes until it blows over.

For a seriously rainy day (and we've had some that were like a monsoon), we wear our ponchos and waterproof hiking sandals (e.g., Tevas and the like -- NOT Crocs, which can become dangerously slippery when wet!) and go about business as usual, for whatever park we'd originally planned to visit that day. If there are attractions that close down for rain (e.g., outdoor ones like Big Thunder Mountain), we just try to catch them in between storms. We've had some of our most productive touring days when it was rainy out.
I would personally go with crocs, they dry easily and I have never ha any slipping problems, I have however trashed a brand new pair of Tevas because the destroyed my feet I have never had so many blisters on my feet at one time before.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I like the idea of bringing extra shoes and socks to switch out and while Iprefer good walking sandals I personally don't like having cold wet feet so depends on time of year, have not been when its really raining much of day, but always come prepared with ponchos!!! If you already KNOW its going to be raining, bring 2 disposable ponchos. And if all else fails and it catches you unaware Disney will happily sell you ponchos, umbrellas etc at most gift stores!:D Linger over your meal...head for rides with indoor queues....but most important HAVE FUN!!!:cool:

Kyledychchi

I’m used to rain being from the UK so I don’t tend to alter my approach for rain ! I just wear lightweight t shirts as the heat post shower dries off my attire within half an hour ! Obviously I don’t stand out in the rain for the whole time, I’d duck and dive between shelter !

Katelynbird

You never know when a storm is going to come across WDW. It may not even be calling for any storms or rain and BOOM a huge one hits and the next thing you know you are drenched because you didn't pack a poncho or your not drenched and your purse is a little lighter because you spent a fortune of the Disney World ponchos. Bring the ponchos in your backpack everyday!!!!! The don't take up that much space if you roll them. When it starts to storm seriously it is like all the people rush to the nearest shop and it gets extremely crowded. If you are prepared you just might be able to walk to a ride and get a good spot in line without a long wait, especially a ride like the Haunted Mansion.

Here is what we do NOT do: We do not leave the park and take transportation. Much of the system shuts down by policy (i.e., boats). The rest is overwhelmed. The buses are overcrowded because everyone has the same idea. The folks above provide a LONG list of better things to do.

I would give up a dinner reservation to avoid that experience on vacation. They might let you in later. It’s worth the gamble.

Here is what we do NOT do: We do not leave the park and take transportation. Much of the system shuts down by policy (i.e., boats). The rest is overwhelmed. The buses are overcrowded because everyone has the same idea. The folks above provide a LONG list of better things to do.

I would give up a dinner reservation to avoid that experience on vacation. They might let you in later. It’s worth the gamble.
Spot on. Rainy days are sometimes the best days. Bring sandals. Enjoy the shorter lines.

graphite1326

When it looks like a storm is about to strike we head for a long running show or attraction that is indoors. Something like carousel of progress ,the tiki room ,a movie in one of the Epcot pavilions, frozen sing along. The land building is great and perfect for longer storms you can do soarin, the new movie, living with the land and get a snack or meal while staying dry. There are wen a couple restrooms in there. So often we duck into a show and come out it’s back to totally sunny and the ground is dry and we never saw a drop of rain
We actually did this by accident. We went into a show and we came out the CM told us that a storm had gone thru.

Weather_Lady

Wear waterproof/quick-dry hiking sandals, throw a poncho in your park bag (one big and sturdy enough to cover you and your park bag in a high-wind, driving rain situation - we have some great ones from frogg toggs that I bought from Amazon in discounted colors), and consider yourself prepared.

We usually love the rain at WDW - it thins the crowds, cools the air, and makes touring feel like even more of an adventure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom