What'sthe long-term plan for Disney+ content?

KeithVH

Original Poster
So last night I watched an episode of WWoC (reliving the Sunday nights of my youth) about Disneyland Through The Seasons. The central piece was the opening of Small World (May '66). Besides making me incredibly depressed, it got me thinking about the untold number of hours of content available from Disney+. But yet, what is available in the service is such a small fraction of the vault. Yeah, I've seen a couple True Life Adventures but I can remember so much that is nowhere to be seen. The amount of pre-1980 content is a really small minority of what we can watch right now.

Does anyone know if there is a long-term plan to make a LOT more of the older content available? Especially things like WWoC? When? And more importantly, that it will stay up rather than cycled out in 30-60 days?

I get part of the reasoning. There has to be some correlation between video sales versus online availability (such as the Treasures series) and TWDC doesn't want to cannabalize one for the other. But if it means I need to spend more money on DVDs rather than wait for it online, then that means I change how I spend my money relative to Disney.

Animaniac93-98

So last night I watched an episode of WWoC (reliving the Sunday nights of my youth) about Disneyland Through The Seasons. The central piece was the opening of Small World (May '66). Besides making me incredibly depressed, it got me thinking about the untold number of hours of content available from Disney+. But yet, what is available in the service is such a small fraction of the vault. Yeah, I've seen a couple True Life Adventures but I can remember so much that is nowhere to be seen. The amount of pre-1980 content is a really small minority of what we can watch right now.

Does anyone know if there is a long-term plan to make a LOT more of the older content available? Especially things like WWoC? When? And more importantly, that it will stay up rather than cycled out in 30-60 days?

I get part of the reasoning. There has to be some correlation between video sales versus online availability (such as the Treasures series) and TWDC doesn't want to cannabalize one for the other. But if it means I need to spend more money on DVDs rather than wait for it online, then that means I change how I spend my money relative to Disney.

Disney hasn't released any new Treasures sets since 2009. The only time "old" Disney gets released on disc nowadays is through the Disney Movie Club as exclusives, and those are not that frequent.

There are unfortunately a number of older titles (even some that were released to DVD/Blu-ray) that are not on Disney+. Some, like The Moon-Spinners, are still being uploaded, but it's not as often as I'd like it to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom