What's up with WDW Magic Kingdom these days?

coolspot

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

I just returned back to the hotel from my first trip to the Magic Kingdom in ~5 or 7 years and I'm a bit disheartened by the experience.

1. An abnormally high number of cast members seem downright grouchy. This was most apparent with the Jungle Cruise crew... mostly the CMs that help you in and out of the boat. The instructions the CMs gave while undocking were unclear and conflciting, and they ended up yelling at a few guests because they got out the wrong door of the boat. Their comments were a bit snarky too ...

2. Today was Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and as such they did not announce the closing of the park at 7pm. Due to the number of people left in the park, while exiting, we got separated but did not notice until we passed a checkpoint. The lady at the checkpoint wouldn't let one of us go back to check for our lost family member and instead kept reiterating that we should proceed to the exit. Surely some compassion or common sense would have been good considering distance to the entrance, number of people exiting, and the fact we only wanted to check one small area immediately behind her.

3. There is a Cast Member entrance beside the Philharmagic exit, behind a chain link. We parked a stroller in front of the chain link due to rain, not realizing there was a CM door there. The cast members seemed annoyed we were blocking their access to the door. They rudely said "EXCUSE ME" and barged right through us while we were changing our toddler's wet shirt from the rain. If the entrance is so important, surely someone should stand guard or there should be a clearer sign?

4. Saw multiple CMs walking together, chatting, and joking on their way/from break... is this normal? Always thought Disney didn't like to lose the "magic"? Seems CM standards is lax?

5. The condition of WDW seems poor... cob webs, rust, chipping paint, discolored concrete... I was at Disneyland in Cali in March and was VERY impressed by the service and condition of the park.

What's up with WDW? Googling seems like these are "common" complaints? Is the park just too big that even Disney can't maintain their standards?

Last edited:

Zweiland

Thanks, these are interesting observations. Unfortunately, nothing about them surprised me.

Let me get this straight. I didn't discover WDW until after the "glory days". I never saw Dreamfinder and Figment together, the WoL building occupied, or park walkways in the absence of thousands of strollers.

So why am I not a pixie dust inhaler like most of the rest of the WDW n00bs? Well, I think it's because of my 2011 trip to USO, and especially because of my summer 2013 trip to Disneyland.

In Disneyland, you wouldn't see cobwebs except in the Haunted Mansion. The management and CMs there kept everything maintained. All the CMs I spoke to were friendly and helpful. The only issues I saw were on Splash Mountain, which seems to be a common theme for maintenance issues throughout the Disney parks.

So in answer to your question, I don't think the MK is too big for Disney to maintain their standards. After all, in a park such as Disneyland (where there are more attractions) they could do it. They also did it for years and years during the golden age. No, I think the problem is far bigger than that. It seems that WDW management simply doesn't care anymore.

I'm sure this thraed will get very heated. The decline of maintenance is an oft-discussed topic 'round these parts. But I would like to thank you for the time you took to make those observations. And one last thing: be sure to contact WDW Guest Relations for any complaints you may have.

bethymouse

This thread may also be bumped as there are a number of "complaints" threads about the state of the parks lately.:arghh: I feel your pain.:in pain:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Hi Everyone,

I just returned back to the hotel from my first trip to the Magic Kingdom in ~5 or 7 years and I'm a bit disheartened by the experience.

1. An abnormally high number of cast members seem downright grouchy. This was most apparent with the Jungle Cruise crew... mostly the CMs that help you in and out of the boat. The instructions the CMs gave while undocking were unclear and conflciting, and they ended up yelling at a few guests because they got out the wrong door of the boat. Their comments were a bit snarky too ...

2. Today was Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and as such they did not announce the closing of the park at 7pm. Due to the number of people left in the park, while exiting, we got separated but did not notice until we passed a checkpoint. The lady at the checkpoint wouldn't let one of us go back to check for our lost family member and instead kept reiterating that we should proceed to the exit. Surely some compassion or common sense would have been good considering distance to the entrance, number of people exiting, and the fact we only wanted to check one small area immediately behind her.

3. There is a Cast Member entrance beside the Phillamagic exit, behind a chain link. We parked a stroller in front of the chain link due to rain, not realizing there was a CM door there. The cast members seemed annoyed we were blocking their access to the door. They rudely said "EXCUSE ME" and barged right through us while we were changing our toddler's wet shirt from the rain. If the entrance is so important, surely someone should stand guard or there should be a clearer sign?

4. Saw multiple CMs walking together, chatting, and joking on their way/from break... is this normal? Always thought Disney didn't like to lose the "magic"? Seems CM standards is lax?

5. The condition of WDW seems poor... cob webs, rust, chipping paint, discolored concrete... I was at Disneyland in Cali in March and was VERY impressed by the service and condition of the park.

What's up with WDW? Googling seems like these are "common" complaints? Is the park just too big that even Disney can't maintain their standards?
Interested to hear what park management said after you brought this to their attention.

BiffyClyro

I agree they shouldn't be rude. The not letting you look for lost family members is especially bad.

But it's a bit harsh that you're offended by cast members talking to each other. Think of how miserable your day would be if you weren't allowed to talk to your colleagues? You would probably find they would be more grump if they weren't allowed to interact with each other.That's the only thing I disagree with you on though.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I agree they shouldn't be rude. The not letting you look for lost family members is especially bad.

But it's a bit harsh that you're offended by cast members talking to each other. Think of how miserable your day would be if you weren't allowed to talk to your colleagues? You would probably find they would be more grump if they weren't allowed to interact with each other.That's the only thing I disagree with you on though.

They are allowed to talk about personal things. But they also shouldn't forget that they are on stage. Show comes before their personal BS.

I have recounted this story a couple of times, but it bears repeating. I was at WDW in April, spent some time perusing the shops in Liberty Square. We are were in Yankee Trader, two cast members were "working". They were both speaking rapid and loud spanish behind the counter. Completely disregarding customers, not greeting anyone, and even continuing in their private conversation whilst ringing up one guest. This type of behavior is flat out unacceptable. When you are on stage, you are ON STAGE.

bebert

When is comes to CM's what kind of talent pool does Disney have to hire from? It has to be hard to find self-starting, hard working young adults in todays selfie-obsessed, non stop texting, twittering culture. Many of todays young adults are so self-absorbed and entitled they will never get what being a good employee is.
I am interested in seeing what things look like next week, I will make sure to take off my Disney rose colored glasses and really see the issues.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
When is comes to CM's what kind of talent pool does Disney have to hire from? It has to be hard to find self-starting, hard working young adults in todays selfie-obsessed, non stop texting, twittering culture. Many of todays young adults are so self-absorbed and entitled they will never get what being a good employee is.
I am interested in seeing what things look like next week, I will make sure to take off my Disney rose colored glasses and really see the issues.

I agree with a lot of what you say here...

However, the employees I dealt with were two women, one late 20s early 30s, the other pushing 50. So it's not all on the kids.

michael guinn

I just got back myself last week. i felt that all the CM were great and happy. what i felt is that many guest were very rude. no one seemed to have common sence or manners. just push trough and do what they want when they want. we went doing a slow week i could only imangine as a CM how it is to deal with that day after day. rude people that treat you like crap.

rsoxguy

This is one strange thread. Just arrived back to the hotel, still vacationing, gets online, makes first post on a Disney forum since 2006, gets a backup post through someone's second post.

I like Tastykake lemon pies.

31P0apkZZqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

bgraham34

1. It goes in cycles sometimes when its really busy time of year their patience is tried and they lose their cool. Its harder working with the public these days.
2. I understand Disney's point. How do they know your not lying about it.
3.Goes back to 1.
4.Yes they can chat, and that does not bother me.
5.When you spend 1 billion dollars on fast pass you are bound to miss the important things as in park maintenance. It does not drive an extra revenue so they dont care.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This is one strange thread. Just arrived back to the hotel, still vacationing, gets online, makes first post on a Disney forum since 2006, gets a backup post through someone's second post.

I like Tastykake lemon pies.

31P0apkZZqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yuck, that is one disturbing image.

bebert

I just got back myself last week. i felt that all the CM were great and happy. what i felt is that many guest were very rude. no one seemed to have common sence or manners. just push trough and do what they want when they want. we went doing a slow week i could only imangine as a CM how it is to deal with that day after day. rude people that treat you like crap.
I had the same exact experience in June. I literally saw adults pushing children out of the way and knocking them over to get out of the rain, it was unbelievable. Also, noticed no guests know how the dining plan works, try educating yourself before you get there. Dont take it out on the CM's because you are too stupid or lazy to understand it on your own. Today's CM's might not be as good as 10 years ago but, they do deal with some very rude patrons for hours each day. That has to wear on your mood, I know it would me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom